Author Topic: Neo Geo CD  (Read 3966 times)

silversyx

Neo Geo CD
« on: March 06, 2015, 05:47:16 pm »
So I've been vaguely looking at Neo Geo CD stuff of eBay. There is only Japanese stuff on there. I'm pretty sure the system is region free (correct me if I'm wrong). Should I get a Japanese console and look for American games? Should I just get Japanese games? Thoughts? The price range is a little high for me but that seems due to shipping from Japan.

theflea

Re: Neo Geo CD
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 06:04:31 pm »
US Neo Geo CD systems are extremely rare, Far as I'm aware only the Model 2 version was released in the States. The best way to go is find a modded system with a region switch. I have one like this and I love it.
They might be a little more then a Japanese model 2 but will be cheaper then what people want for a US model.

To be honest, most games on the Neo Geo CD you really don't need translated. Most of the good ones are Fighting and Shooters. Looking through my collection the only ones that are hard to play are the Japanese only releases like Samurai Shodown RPG or the Quiz games and these will still be in Japanese on a US system.
If you find a Japanese Neo Geo CD at a good price, go for it.

Side note, like the AES, a US Neo Geo CD (or modded one) will play "most" Japanese games in English.

"Happy game hunting!!!"

silversyx

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 06:10:25 pm »
US Neo Geo CD systems are extremely rare, Far as I'm aware only the Model 2 version was released in the States. The best way to go is find a modded system with a region switch. I have one like this and I love it.
They might be a little more then a Japanese model 2 but will be cheaper then what people want for a US model.

To be honest, most games on the Neo Geo CD you really don't need translated. Most of the good ones are Fighting and Shooters. Looking through my collection the only ones that are hard to play are the Japanese only releases like Samurai Shodown RPG or the Quiz games and these will still be in Japanese on a US system.
If you find a Japanese Neo Geo CD at a good price, go for it.

Side note, like the AES, a US Neo Geo CD (or modded one) will play "most" Japanese games in English.

Sooooo I should look for a US one then? Because I do not know anything about modding and I don't know anyone who does mod.

bobster

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 12:27:38 pm »
Today I learned there was a Samurai Shodown RPG. That's pretty interesting!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

mrnikon

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 01:12:42 pm »
Just get a NEO GEO MVS, arcade cabinet.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 03:20:39 am »
Today I learned there was a Samurai Shodown RPG. That's pretty interesting!

Me too.

"The more you... KNOW"

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 05:36:34 pm »
I have a NeoGeo CD jap (top loader) with about 30 Japanese games. The Japanese consoles and games are a lot cheaper and easy to find compare to the US version. You don`t need to understand Japanese at all to play those games. It`s a great alternative if you can`t afford a NeoGeo AES and their expensive games.

The only few inconvenient with the NeoGeo CD are it`s smaller library covering from 1991-1999 only, and the latest games may have really long loading times ( KOF 99, Last Blade 2).

I own Samurai Shodown RPG and it`s excellent. It never been translated (no US version).

Try that link for more info; http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Neo_geo_cd_faq

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

stealthrush

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:34:45 pm »
Neo Geo CD is an amazing console if you want to play/own some of SNK's finest Neo Geo ports at a much more affordable price (compared to AES/MVS) although most of the game library have also been ported to many other systems (Saturn, PS2) and the console has only a few exclusives titles. Recent conversation I had over @/r/neogeo

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 10:40:21 am »
There is one problem with the NGCD though, the loading times. Oh god the loading times.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 11:36:36 am »
Thoughts? It's like you get to play the game, on a CD:P