Author Topic: Atlanta Retro Game Scene  (Read 1358 times)

Atlanta Retro Game Scene
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:22:23 pm »
I'm new around these parts, but I'm loving it so far.

Anyway, does anyone know about the Atlanta retro game scene? I've had no luck finding anything inside the city or out where I live. However, there are two retro shops by my university (A+ for college)! I just got into collecting and this semester is almost over, so I'd love to go hunting with all this free time I'm gonna have.

kashell

Re: Atlanta Retro Game Scene
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 02:31:26 pm »
Welcome to the site!

I used to live in Atlanta and, sadly, I couldn't find much in terms of retro gaming. There are a few Play N' Trades scattered throughout the OTP area. One is in Tucker, one is near the Green Hills (?) mall, and I think there is one more somewhere. Maybe Cumberland? It's been a while since all of them have been disappointing. The only good one is in Woodstock, but that's a hike.

There is also a place called J2 Games which is in Buford, but they have really dumb hours. At least, they did the last time I checked. If memory serves, they're closed on Sundays. You know...the day when people actually are free from the 9 to 5 and can go shop? There prices are very high, but they have some good stuff.

There's a small store near Hiram called Gator Games. I wasn't impressed and the customer service was crappy.

One of the Play N' Trades turned into an independent store. I think it's called Wizardry Games? Something like that; it's near Gainesville.

Atlanta has a ton of pawn shops, so if you're ever around Norcross or Lawrenceville, you'll likely find them. Whether or not they have games is an entirely different matter.

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head. Happy hunting and welcome to the site!

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:40:17 pm »
Welcome to the site!

I used to live in Atlanta and, sadly, I couldn't find much in terms of retro gaming. There are a few Play N' Trades scattered throughout the OTP area. One is in Tucker, one is near the Green Hills (?) mall, and I think there is one more somewhere. Maybe Cumberland? It's been a while since all of them have been disappointing. The only good one is in Woodstock, but that's a hike.

There is also a place called J2 Games which is in Buford, but they have really dumb hours. At least, they did the last time I checked. If memory serves, they're closed on Sundays. You know...the day when people actually are free from the 9 to 5 and can go shop? There prices are very high, but they have some good stuff.

There's a small store near Hiram called Gator Games. I wasn't impressed and the customer service was crappy.

One of the Play N' Trades turned into an independent store. I think it's called Wizardry Games? Something like that; it's near Gainesville.

Atlanta has a ton of pawn shops, so if you're ever around Norcross or Lawrenceville, you'll likely find them. Whether or not they have games is an entirely different matter.

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head. Happy hunting and welcome to the site!

Aw man. I really wish just one store would pop up in the city, so I wouldn't have to travel far to find retro games. It also doesn't help that the mom and pop shops can't be found easily on Yellow Pages or Google without the searches returning 3-4 year forum posts.

I'll have to take a trip to J2 Games, just to see what they've got in store.

I've actually been to Gator Games. There used to be a shop in Newnan back around 2010-2011. I guess it moved out to Hiram because it's definitely not in Newnan anymore.

I'm out in Carrollton for college and the two shops near me: West GA Game Shop and Gamers have stores in both Carrollton and Villa Rica. That's where I've been buying my games for the past 4 years. Great prices and awesome people.

kashell

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 03:59:48 pm »
I visit Atlanta often, so I'll have to check out those stores you mentioned. You would think that a city that huge would have much more to offer for retro treasures.

Nosmiric

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:42:19 pm »
If you're ever in the area, I work at a retro gaming shop in South Carolina in a town that's about 3-4 hours away from Atlanta. The place is called Matt's Game Exchange and we deal in retro and new video games. We get some rarities every once in awhile. One of the newest trades we got in was Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom and Maximum Carnage. We also do trades with old games too so if you want to trade for some games, come stop on by and we can try to work out a deal. Obviously, we don't do straight trades, but we do try to work with the customer in trading games fairly for both parties.