Author Topic: Search Within Collection  (Read 1091 times)

krelyan

PRO Supporter

Search Within Collection
« on: March 27, 2015, 07:02:26 pm »
Would it be possible to have a checkbox/toggle that would be able differentiate searching the site database and searching only games that are listed in your collection (which could include wish and sell lists?)?

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Re: Search Within Collection
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:14:28 am »
I second this idea.  Would be a great addition to the site!  ;)

indenton

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 11:06:09 am »
I feel like there should be something else in place to make the search facility a little more diverse, what's available right now works but it seems a bit finicky at the moment.  Ignore a possible spelling mistake, not returning a "Did you mean 'Streets of rage 3' message or something to that affect.  I'm not sure how complicated it it to set up an algorithm for a search facility like that.  Maybe a possible development for the future though. 

I searched Jak 2 the other day, nothing.  Jak and Daxter 2? Jak 2 renegade??  Nope, what are you talking about.  Is Jak 2 rellay not in the database yet?? Better check the entire PlayStation 2 [EU] collection. 

Turns out it was actually 'Jak II'.  Can the alternate name field be used for tags at all???

For example: Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth could have the tag "Shin Megami Tensei" since it is linked to the franchise but it isn't included in the name itself.  It's all about association.  I might not know exactly what the game is called, but their doesn't seem to be anything in place to help me out there. 

retroone

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 11:12:00 am »
I third this.

indenton

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 11:22:43 am »
Here's another one, I just searched 'Ratchet and Clank', it returned a couple of games and a bunch of comics.  I then retyped as 'Ratchet & Clank' which then returned a majority of the other games in the series, but none of the previously seen items.  So neither of these search jobs returned all of the related content because "'and' does not equal '&'".  Is this an easy fix??

Either that or you could try and track down EVERY SINGLE ITEM in the database which has done the same thing, change the names, and then hope to God that each and every item added to the database from that point follows the same pattern by sheer luck.  We all naturally read these phrases the same way, so why not the search facility. 

indenton

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 11:30:21 am »
I third this.

Yeah see, all of the feedback I've been writing out right now, it doesn't count.