Author Topic: The most difficult game you ever beat?  (Read 5247 times)

The most difficult game you ever beat?
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:44:11 am »
Growing up I only knew a few people "in the wild" that were somehow really talented at video games, I can probably count them on one hand, but it's way different on the internet.  Of course there are many different genres which I assume correspond to different personality types/interests, but what do you consider the hardest or most challenging game you ever finished?  Mine would probably be Blazing Lazers or Splatterhouse. 

maximo310

Re: The most difficult game you ever beat?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:35:59 am »
The most difficult for me was probably the 1cc of Armored Warriors. It took me close to 6 months of constant practice to beat, since the damage penalty is pretty punishing for a beat em up.

Honorable Mentions: Super Monkey Ball 2 ( All of Expert Mode), Fire Emblem Awakening ( Lunatic).
The only game I've played that could be more difficult than AW at the moment is Front Mission 2, since each map seem to take forever to beat, and the game throw way too many enemies on some maps at you, and the super tank enemy is a pain in the ass to deal with.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:08:38 pm »
1. Completing Super Mario Bros.: Lost Levels without using warps.

2. Getting 100% completion and achievements on Oblivion on XBox 360. (Sooooo much to do in this game. This is a test of endurance)

3. Getting to the final boss battle in Ninja Gaiden 2 on NES (although I couldn't beat him, when you die you have to do the entire level and the multi-form boss battle all on 1 health gauge).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:55:52 pm by burningdoom »

argyle

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:10:51 pm »
Can't narrow it down to one, but it's between these:

Mega Man (original, NES)
Gun.Smoke (NES)
Maximo (PS2 - collect all kisses run)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2)
Sound Shapes (Vita / PS4) - the challenges required for the plat were insanely difficult
Bloodborne (PS4)

Those stand out off the top of my head.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

kashell

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:34:56 pm »
Beat as in watching the credits or beat as in doing everything available? I have a few choices in both since it's far too hard to narrow it down to one. ^^()

Credit Reel:
Tales of Rebirth (PSP version)
Mega Man 3
Shinobi (PS2)
Nightshade (PS2)
Demon's Souls
The Final Fantasy Legend
SaGa Frontier 2

100% Completion:
Star Ocean 4
3D Dot Game Heroes
Hatsune Miku Project Diva f 2nd

I'm sure there are more.

argyle

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:44:47 pm »
Beat as in watching the credits or beat as in doing everything available? I have a few choices in both since it's far too hard to narrow it down to one. ^^()

Credit Reel:
Mega Man 3
Shinobi (PS2)
Nightshade (PS2)
Demon's Souls
The Final Fantasy Legend
SaGa Frontier 2

100% Completion:
Star Ocean 4
3D Dot Game Heroes

I'm sure there are more.

Props for beating Shinobi on the PS2. I tried. I really, really tried but the next-to-last stage got me. As I understand it, the final stage was just a boss fight. Anyway, you had to do that whole stage in one go, no checkpoints, and you had to be basically perfect. I lost count of how many times I tried, but I finally had to accept defeat. :(
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

doafan

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:49:46 pm »
Don't remember all the names of those hard games that I finished but I do remember the one that kicked my butt more times than I want to remember,  I'm talking about the Battletoads for the NES, if you finished this one they got my full respect  ;)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

abe

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 01:04:54 pm »
I haven't really finished too many particularly difficult games, but if I had to choose one Metroid Prime on the GameCube on Hard would probably have been the most difficult game I've finished.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 01:28:11 pm »

Credit Reel:
Mega Man 3
Shinobi (PS2)
Nightshade (PS2)
Demon's Souls
The Final Fantasy Legend
SaGa Frontier 2

100% Completion:
Star Ocean 4
3D Dot Game Heroes

I'm sure there are more.

That's a good point, the 2 I listed date before they started adding side quests and completion percentages.  I'm currently going for all the green stars in Super Mario Galaxy 2, which has taken me over a year off and on. 

Another difficult one I beat was Tomb Raider, which by the end was basically like playing Dragon's Lair, where you have to memorize every single move or die.  I did finish Dragon's Lair but not Space Ace or Dragon's Lair II, those are pretty tough too. 

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 01:42:43 pm »
For me it was getting the "best" ending in Cave Story. Going through that Hell level avoiding falling rocks, fire and evil angels was hard enough. But then fighting Ballos in a incredibly hard three stage boss fight was insane. All on one health set. You had more health in Cave Story 3D that made it slightly easier but it was still intense. But that third ending is so incredibly satisfying.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 02:47:12 pm »
Let's see,...

from the perspective of being the "hardest" due to a pretty steep learning curve + some unclear, awkward, and unintuitive tutorials/explanations - in 'that' way - Cross Edge, for the PS3 might be the 'hardest' game that I've platinumed,

from the perspective of huge amounts of content + a big time-commitment - Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness' platinum would probably qualify,

in terms of an outrageous difficulty spike + a pretty tough post-game dungeon that *must* be completely beaten on the highest difficulty level for the platinum; Tears to Tiara 2: Heir of the Overlord, gets the nod,

the most "grindy" kind of hard platinum that I got is probably Class of Heroes 2G,

IMO, the hardest one that I have *not* ever gotten back to, to finish-off the platinum = The Guided Fate Paradox

I guess that those might be my current "Top 5".

To mix-it-up a bit...what are some of your *Easiest* games that you've all platinumed and/or got 100% of the gamerscore?

Mine would most likely be

Last Rebellion...

...not only is it the only RPG that I've ever seen that can be platted in only 1 or 2 days of (3-5 hours of gaming per day)

*BUT*

it's also the only one that I've come across with more golds & silvers than bronzes  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 02:48:55 pm »

Props for beating Shinobi on the PS2. I tried. I really, really tried but the next-to-last stage got me. As I understand it, the final stage was just a boss fight. Anyway, you had to do that whole stage in one go, no checkpoints, and you had to be basically perfect. I lost count of how many times I tried, but I finally had to accept defeat. :(

Thanks. It was a nightmare. I remember the first time I beat it shouted, "YES!!!" and everyone in the house asked if I was ok. I also managed to beat the game on the hardest difficulty setting, but I had to use Moritsune to actually stand a chance.

Unfortunately, the last stage was both a boss and a huge level. ~_~() If you died before reaching the boss, you had to start over. If you made it to the boss, that was considered a check point.

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 02:58:36 pm »
It's between these two:
Battletoads, on the NES. I used warps whenever I could, and I beat it without the 5 toad code.
I Wanna Be The Guy, on Very Hard Mode.

I think the edge would actually go to IWBTG.  Ghosts N Goblins however, I'm hopeless at.

abe

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 03:16:49 pm »
To mix-it-up a bit...what are some of your *Easiest* games that you've all platinumed and/or got 100% of the gamerscore?

Home on the PS4. It took me a little under 3 hours to get 100% of the trophies and if the game wasn't bugged and I got the trophies when I was actually supposed to it would've probably barely taken 2 hours.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 04:55:36 pm »

Home on the PS4. It took me a little under 3 hours to get 100% of the trophies and if the game wasn't bugged and I got the trophies when I was actually supposed to it would've probably barely taken 2 hours.

What kind of things would pop trophies for you in (PS4) Home, abe?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"