Author Topic: BEST Video Game movie?  (Read 4163 times)

thekosmickollector

BEST Video Game movie?
« on: April 22, 2015, 05:39:19 pm »
Okay, so I know video game movies get a lot of flack (and rightly so), but can anyone think of a video game movie that was any good? I personally thought the Silent Hill movie was quite solid. Well, the first one at least, the second one I haven't seen yet. Also, the Resident Evil movies, while not sharing too much in common with the actual game, I found to be some fun eye candy while it was on.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:48:40 am by thekosmickollector »

devancowan

Re: BEST Video Game movie?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 05:49:38 pm »
Hopefully they do a good job when making The Last of Us movie!

argyle

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 05:56:24 pm »
I really enjoyed both Silent Hill movies, thought they were great. The RE & Tomb Raider movies are dumb fun. I also enjoyed Hitman and FF7: Advent Children. 

And while not a movie, I'd be mad at myself if I didn't mention the Gungrave anime series which is SPECTACULAR. Highly recommended.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 06:37:24 pm »
It is cheesy as hell, but my favorite has been and will probably always be Mortal Kombat.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:39:47 pm »
Tales of Vesperia: the first strike
Bayonetta: Bloody Fate
also the CGI Resident Evil Movies

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:53:05 pm »
The first Resident Evil movie takes it for me. Great horror film. It's too bad the sequels went more into the action direction

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 08:06:51 pm »
the dead space movie was pretty good.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:36 pm »
Mortal Kombat.

Honorable Mention: Street Fighter.

I don't care what you say. I like it.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 09:03:47 pm »
If we are talking live action, I liked Silent Hill and like the first two Resident Evil's for their cheesiness before they really went off the rails, which is saying something for an RE related product lol There was the previous Halo series thing, not Nightfall, but the one before about the boot camp.  It's not particularly very Halo till the end, but I liked it as a story.

For something animated, Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, RE: Degeneration and Damnation I remember to be entertaining.  Probably seen more, just don't remember at the moment.

Worst I've seen are probably the Super Mario and Doom movies, both of them for basically missing the point of what they needed to do lol

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 01:16:22 am »
Mortal Kombat, hands down the best i've ever seen
i also really liked Silent Hill

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 01:47:52 am »
Mortal Kombat and animated Street Fighter movies were definitely awesome.  Live action-wise,I just wasn't into Jean Claude Van Damme's Guile, but Raul Julia as M. Bison was pretty cool.  Tekken was meh.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 09:10:53 am »
Atari: Game Over. 

Hey, the title didn't say it couldn't be a documentary.  I put this off for a long time due to the hype around it and the number of people interested in it who have no actual idea of the history or even the E.T. game aside from a couple "worst game" lists online.  I have two copies of E.T., which I first sought out due to the history about the game, purchased many years ago. 

Overall, the movie was extremely well done.  It interviewed a wide range of old Atari people, including Bushnell and the developer of E.T. himself.  I have long since out-grown the idea that "E.T. caused the crash," since I learned ages ago about all the issues that led into the downfall of the 2nd generation.  Still, Atari: Game Over did a great job going over the history, looking at the issues, and examining why E.T. ended up carrying the bulk of the blame. 

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 10:17:47 am »
I've always had a soft spot for the Prince of Persia movie. I feel it captures the spirit of the video game rather well and the acting is well done.

I write for a video game/movie/book review blog that can be found here

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 12:12:18 pm »
I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember as a kid I used to watch donkey kong vhs tapes all the time and I loved them.  Probably only good as a kid as I don't remember them anymore, but who knows they may be entertaining.

tpugmire

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 12:14:38 pm »
I have to agree with evilnick and go with Atari: Game Over.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com