Author Topic: Way for Users to Help?  (Read 1651 times)

komidore64

Way for Users to Help?
« on: May 04, 2015, 01:37:17 pm »
Hello!

I just recently signed up for VGCollect and I am really liking the site. You've really got something useful going here. Very nice job!

I'm writing to ask if there are ways that I can help in the development of VGCollect. Being an open-source developer, I love the aspect of being able to immediately start pitching in to help with a tool or a web-service. I'm sure you've probably considered at one point or another to open-source VGCollect and maybe also its Android app. I would very much like for VGCollect to be open-source as I'm passionate about F/OSS, but I don't want to push VGCollect towards something its developers/owners don't want.

Instead, I'd like to see if I could find out your reasons for or against an open-source license for VGCollect; just a dialogue. I want to find a way to help VGCollect become a better tool both for myself and others. Helping could be with code or something else.

I develop on lots of open-source tools every day for work, but I'm still looking for a project that I can contribute to completely out of leisure with no ties to what I do at work -- a project that I can get excited about and have fun with. I would very much like for VGCollect to be that project. Open-source would be a plus, but it doesn't have to be.

Thanks for reading!

Re: Way for Users to Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »
Message this dude:
     http://vgcollect.com/matt

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:41:38 pm »
Awesome offer, ya, hit up Matt.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:03:43 am »
Welcome to the site komodore64 & thanks for the generous offer!

As stated, Matt's the kat fer dat'

why not stop here:

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,78.0.html

to say Hi & give a little introduction to the regulars here?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

pacpix

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:08:24 pm »
I'll send this thread to Matt. :)
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

matt

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:18:28 pm »
Hello and welcome! Thanks for the kind words. As you'll quickly notice, VGC started as my little side project but quickly become sooo much more.  My real life job(s) have recently gotten in the way and really slowed development.

Late last year I was making a strong push on moving VGC more towards an open source license. Real life also got in the way of that. We've had a bunch of offers for help lately but no way to organize things. Any help or suggestions would be great. I'm thinking of possibly starting out with a private forum on here that any of us interested in development work can access. If nothing else this'll get us further towards out goal.

komidore64

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 11:11:07 am »
I think a way to start discussing, sharing, and keeping track of suggestions and ideas is great place to start!

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 06:00:11 pm »
I am interested in what ideas some of you have to help improve the site.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:32:56 pm »
I would to help too, but I took a videogame design class in 2012. Darkbasic though, not webdesign.maybe if i take a class in college. But what class should I take? I would love to part of developement. At least I have basic knowledge of code.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 09:40:13 pm »
I would to help too, but I took a videogame design class in 2012. Darkbasic though, not webdesign.maybe if i take a class in college. But what class should I take? I would love to part of developement. At least I have basic knowledge of code.
I can do almost any audio project, and I could produce music. im still a beginner though. I know hip hop/ rap isn't every ones cup of tea on here, but I can do any genre. I love classic to. Sorry to get a little off track, but I'll help any way I can.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 09:42:37 pm »
I can do almost any audio project, and I could produce music. im still a beginner though. I know hip hop/ rap isn't every ones cup of tea on here, but I can do any genre. I love classic to. Sorry to get a little off track, but I'll help any way I can.
By the way I want to do videogames and music it's self too.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 08:47:08 am »
I use my skills in web development everyday for my full-time job but i'll be glad to give a hand for a bit of code or at least discuss in your tech forum if I that can help.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 07:55:36 pm »
I didn't think the website needed any audio work, but it would still be an honor to help people on here for their projects.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー