Author Topic: What's your favourite genre in video games?  (Read 2015 times)

dreama1

What's your favourite genre in video games?
« on: May 20, 2015, 03:03:56 pm »
What's your favourite genre in video games, and what started your love for that genre?

Re: What's your favourite genre in video games?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:01:02 pm »
What's your favourite genre in video games, and what started your love for that genre?
Zelda is my favorite genre. lol I would have to say adventure. but I love shooters and street fighters. N64 did it for me.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

stealthrush

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:12:44 pm »
Favorite genres;

Fighting (2-D)
Platform (2-D)
Shumps (2-D)
Puzzle
RPG
Beat-em-ups
Horror Survival
Fighting (3-D)
Platform (3-D)
Other genre (original gameplay)

Least favorite genres;

First-Person Shooters (FPS)
Sport games
Racing simulator
Flight simulators
3-D spy titles
Visual Novel games
Point-and-click
Adventure games
Light-Gun games
GTA-esqe games

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:01:56 am »
Favorite genres;

Fighting (2-D)
Platform (2-D)
Shumps (2-D)
Puzzle
RPG
Beat-em-ups
Horror Survival
Fighting (3-D)
Platform (3-D)

Least favorite genres;

Sport games
Racing simulator
Flight simulators
3-D spy titles
Visual Novel games
Point-and-click
Adventure games
Light-Gun games
GTA-esqe games
What the hell is 3-D spy titles lol.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 12:25:38 pm »
My top favorite = Action-RPGs. I want the addictive nature of RPGs and building-up a bad-ass character. But I also want the twitchy action.

Other genres I enjoy:

-2D Platformers
-Action/Adventure
-First-Person Shooters
-JRPGs
-Light-Gun Games
-Metroidvania
-Run-N-Guns
-Shoot-Em Ups
-Space-Flight Games (Descent, Colony Wars, etc.)

doafan

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 03:00:42 pm »
Guess that it will be action platformers since I started with Pitfall, Jungle Hunt and Moon Patrol and then I migrated to Mario Bros and Mega Man series, in Arcades definitely it has to be fighting titles because of Street Fighter II, World Heroes and Fatal Fury,  then Survival Horror since Resident Evil 3 and Silent Hill 2 were my two first games that I have played from this genre but I do play at least 99% of the rest but not first person, they make me sick and some times I do have to puck cause my eyes can't afford them that means no Dead Island, Left for Dead or Doom for DoaFan :'(

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

maximo310

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 03:37:45 pm »
My favs are :
-Platformers
-Shmups
Other genres that are good as well:
-Fighters
-Beat-em-Ups
-Run-n-Guns
-JRPG's
-Action RPG's
-Racing( Arcade)
-Light gun
Action/Adventure
Puzzle(depends on game)
-Action

stealthrush

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 04:06:34 pm »
Favorite genres;

Fighting (2-D)
Platform (2-D)
Shumps (2-D)
Puzzle
RPG
Beat-em-ups
Horror Survival
Fighting (3-D)
Platform (3-D)

Least favorite genres;

Sport games
Racing simulator
Flight simulators
3-D spy titles
Visual Novel games
Point-and-click
Adventure games
Light-Gun games
GTA-esqe games
What the hell is 3-D spy titles lol.

I typed this list up a few years ago, lol. The term now would be Stealth genre, I guess Third-Person Shooters along the lines.

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 04:32:27 pm »
There aren't many genres I don't enjoy as a whole, I don't mind a FPS or sports game every once in a while.  I enjoy fighting games despite being absolutely terrible at them.  But the genres I generally give a lot of leeway to are: 4X strategy games, strategy-RPGs and turn-based dungeon crawlers.  I'll usually enjoy games in those genres, even if they're rough around the edges and quite flawed.  Also fairly generous with RPGs and 2D platformers as that is what I mostly played growing up.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

pizzasafari

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 05:08:08 pm »
I love me some old traditional JRPGs.
Final Fantasy 8 was one of the first games I ever played, and it just blew my mind. Being able to explore a big-ass and interesting world, the fact that it had a kickass story, the music. My god, the MUSIC. MMMMMM. Even the combat I loved, and though it's not necessarily a staple JRPG feature GFs were my favourite thing about the game as a kid. It was all more than my 5 or whatever-year old brain could take. So since then I've loved JRPGs that follow a similar format.

Most modern JRPGs have just been shameful, so it's getting really hard to find JRPGs of the same standard as pre-Enix Final Fantasy, but when they get it right they can be absolutely amazing.

(I know my opinion on FF8 isn't exactly a popular one, but I love it with all my heart nonetheless.)

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 05:59:54 pm »
FF8 has one of the better FF combat systems with lots of fun customization :).  I remember having to start over after the first Ultimecia (sp?) fight because I just could not beat her because my character builds were garbage.  Also, I now feel really old now realizing that game is over 15 years old! :o

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 06:49:50 pm »
I grew up in the 70's and 80's so I grew up loving arcade games so that style of game is definitely my favorite genre. Also a big fan of racing/sports, adventure games (like the old Lucasarts/Sierra style adventure games), simulation games like flight, pool, pinball, puzzle games, strategy and shmups.

You look at that list and it's easy to see I'm not a big modern or current gen fan. The top 5 popular genres now seem to be platformers, rpgs, first person shooters, 2D fighting/beat-em-up games, and 3D action games ala Assassins Creed or Tomb Raider. None of those really appeal to me.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 06:54:55 pm »
Tactical RPG, I discover that genre with Ogre Battle on SNES, but it`s Final Fantasy Tactics that got me hooked.

I also love J-RPG, everything started with Final Fantasy on NES (yep Im old...), and my love for that genre grown on SNES with FFIV, FFVI and Breath of Fire 2.

I also used to love fighting games, specially during the PS1 era (Street Fighter Alpha 3, Soul Edge, Tekken 3, KOF 99), but I don`t have much interest for that type anymore.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

dreama1

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 07:16:32 pm »
I love me some old traditional JRPGs.
Final Fantasy 8 was one of the first games I ever played, and it just blew my mind. Being able to explore a big-ass and interesting world, the fact that it had a kickass story, the music. My god, the MUSIC. MMMMMM. Even the combat I loved, and though it's not necessarily a staple JRPG feature GFs were my favourite thing about the game as a kid. It was all more than my 5 or whatever-year old brain could take. So since then I've loved JRPGs that follow a similar format.

Most modern JRPGs have just been shameful, so it's getting really hard to find JRPGs of the same standard as pre-Enix Final Fantasy, but when they get it right they can be absolutely amazing.

(I know my opinion on FF8 isn't exactly a popular one, but I love it with all my heart nonetheless.)
Hey why does FF8 get so much shit about it?

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 08:24:57 pm »
I mean, I personally didn't hate FF8 but I think the game really fell short with it's characters and story line. I just couldn't relate to any of them and they all seemed sameish to me (I'm also not the biggest fan of the "tough guy" protagonists that some FF games like to go for) Also I thought the "romance" stuff between Squall and Rinoa was so cheesy haha. I just couldn't take it seriously. I also thought the story was really convoluted, and I played through the game twice haha. All that multiple dimensions and "sorceress from the future" stuff really made the game fall apart for me towards the end.

Don't get me wrong, there were some great points to that game. I agree that the music was fantastic and the graphics and environments were really cool and interesting. I liked the junction system too! (Though I think it was kind of dumb to have your stats linked to a consumable magic). I think the story had some great moments too, particularly some the spaces scenes, but there were a lot of things I didn't like as well. I think they were trying to go for a grand cinematic masterpiece with the serious character development and the roller coaster of a epic story after the success of FF7 but it just seemed forced to me. Just my opinion though haha :)