Author Topic: Games with wrong Region?  (Read 1508 times)

Games with wrong Region?
« on: May 21, 2015, 04:41:53 pm »
I have just started adding my game collection and have already stumbled across a problem.

I am adding my Gameboy Colour games and 2 of them don't appear with the correct region.

The games in question are Prince of Persia and Test Drive 6. The games do appear on the site but both are GBC [NA]

They are both Euro carts as they both have the typical 5 language menu when you start the game (eng, ger, esp, fre & ita) that i would expect on a euro cart

do i need to add these games as 'new' games in the database or can i edit an existing listing to say "also available in this region" OR is there a way to edit them once they are in my collection.

As i said i have just started adding my games. I have around 500-600 to add over multiple formats and don't want to be adding them in the wrong region if i don't have to. (it looks ugly in the my collection page when i am selecting individual formats).

TL:DR can i change or quicky add regions to existing games in the database?

Thanks
Andy

foxhack

Re: Games with wrong Region?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:12:37 pm »
Multi-language games do exist in America, you know. :P

Anyway - yes, if a game listing for your regional release doesn't exist, you can add it. The minimum amount of info we need is a title and a region, you can add stuff without cover artwork (that can be filled in later) but if you can find the cover somewhere that has no watermark, that's great.

Please be sure to read the style guide before adding stuff - http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html - and if you have questions, reply here and we'll help you out. :)

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 06:40:25 pm »
Any chance you can add a "region free" option or perhaps a "not applicable" option?

There's a number of unofficial releases, particularly on consoles such as the dreamcast where there is confusion on where to put it, some people put these region free games in "NA" some "EU" and some "JP" all gets a bit chaotic...

Cheers

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 01:22:10 am »
Any chance you can add a "region free" option or perhaps a "not applicable" option?

There's a number of unofficial releases, particularly on consoles such as the dreamcast where there is confusion on where to put it, some people put these region free games in "NA" some "EU" and some "JP" all gets a bit chaotic...

Cheers

Probably not. The only truly "region free" releases on the Dreamcast are rips that people burn themselves, and those will never be listed here (and if someone adds any, we delete them.) Homebrew games that are sold by the developer itself are given the region where the game was originally sold in (this doesn't always match up with its manufacturing origin, of course.) This applies to any release.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:24:31 am by foxhack »

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 04:51:03 am »
Ah ok,

So to confirm, in the case of Gunlord Dreamcast for example, it was developed in the EU & likely manufactured in china, but i would list it in the database as EU?

Cheers

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 05:01:59 pm »
Ah ok,

So to confirm, in the case of Gunlord Dreamcast for example, it was developed in the EU & likely manufactured in china, but i would list it in the database as EU?

Cheers

Hm. Maybe.

Looking at this specific game it looks like it really is region free and sold worldwide. I had no idea. I always figured pressed DC games were sold in regional releases, not worldwide.

Let me point the rest of the admins here to see what they think.

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 10:52:09 pm »
I am not very knowledgeable in regards to the Dreamcast, but I would be in support of a new category for region free worldwide games.  Even if this is not a unique trait of the Dreamcast, I doubt there would be many consoles that would need this category added.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 08:31:10 am »
Awesome, cheers guys.

Yeah dreamcast has a number of unofficial releases and they're still coming, i think the Atari jaguar is another, can't think of any others that spring to mind