Author Topic: How do you guys hook up your PS2?  (Read 3332 times)

woahsweetgreyphix

How do you guys hook up your PS2?
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:01:05 pm »
I was wondering if any of you had a special way that you hook up your PS2? I know the console can be underwhelming when hooked up to an HDTV, and was curious if anybody had experience with component to HDMI, RGB, etc. Though maybe some of you don't mind what the image looks like haha.  :)

Personally I use component with a CRT. I can't hook my PS2 up to my HDTV

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:45:08 pm by woahsweetgreyphix »

maximo310

Re: How do you guys hook up your PS2?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:15:27 pm »
I just have my PS2 slim hooked to an hd tv( normally outputs 1080p) w/ component and the image looks perfectly fine, but it can be blurry depending on the game that's being played. There are some games that support 480p , and an extremely small amount that support 1080i.

Now it is possible to use a program called GSM( loaded on a memory card), to force the console to ouput different resolutions such as 480p, VGA, 720p, 1080i ( 1080p can be done only through programming). However, the problem is that outputing these games at a resolution ( to what they were intended) may cause disortion in the image especially if you are doing 720p and 1080i. The only other alternative is Xploder, which costs a bit of money, or to use a BC PS3 which has options to upscale resolutions w/ correct aspect ratio and has smoothing options for games( but  the system requires manadatory cleaning and thermal paste adjustments so that the system doesn't die too soon).

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:14:20 pm »
I have it connected to my HDTV with a component cable, but I switched the ratio of the component source to 4:3 to prevent the stretching of the image.

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 10:18:24 pm »
Yeah it depends on the game for me too. Some of mine are really jagged and others look better. I've wondered if it's the component cable that I've been using.

I didn't know about GSM, maybe I'll look into that; my PS3 isn't a launch model unfortunately. Thanks for the info though!

I have it connected to my HDTV with a component cable, but I switched the ratio of the component source to 4:3 to prevent the stretching of the image.

My cable puts it in 4:3 automatically.. I have no idea if there's any way to change it; it definetely helps but it's annoying because I have a plasma so it makes burn in  :o

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 10:31:02 pm »
Moved as requested in the OP.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 07:21:28 am »
I'm using a RGB SCART cable and use the PS2 on a 30' 4:3 CRT TV with 480i RGB output since the PS2 doesn't take advantage of EDTV/480p/16:9 correctly in most cases with its faked wide-screen cropping the image..

In short the PS2 lacks the power to handle EDTV with its games designed for SDTV, that's why I use it on SDTV RGB 480i where it's at its best, where the Wii is the only console that is good to use on a EDTV IMO since most of its games were designed for it by default.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 10:55:20 am »
component to HDTV, but my backup/2nd tv sucks and a PITA when it comes to reading when a system is on....
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 05:22:13 pm »

In short the PS2 lacks the power to handle EDTV with its games designed for SDTV, that's why I use it on SDTV RGB 480i where it's at its best, where the Wii is the only console that is good to use on a EDTV IMO since most of its games were designed for it by default.

That's been my experience too. Even for games that support 480p they don't look the best to me at least haha

deftommo

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 09:18:54 am »
Right now I use an s-video cable to a box to convert it to VGA so I can play on a computer monitor. It's not the best setup. The picture can be a little fuzzy but for the most part it works well. I used to run s-video to a flatscreen SDTV which looked pretty good (for PS2/XBOX/GC), but got rid of the tv a few years back when I moved 3,000 miles.

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 03:27:21 pm »
Right now I use an s-video cable to a box to convert it to VGA so I can play on a computer monitor. It's not the best setup. The picture can be a little fuzzy but for the most part it works well. I used to run s-video to a flatscreen SDTV which looked pretty good (for PS2/XBOX/GC), but got rid of the tv a few years back when I moved 3,000 miles.

Ah that's interesting. I've wondered how s-video compares to component. My CRT TV supports both.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 05:51:42 pm »
Ah that's interesting. I've wondered how s-video compares to component. My CRT TV supports both.

In order of signal quality: HDMI > VGA > Component > SCART > S-Video > Composite > RF

Of course it's true only when the source signal is matching the supported resolution of the connectivity and when you're not upscaling.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

deftommo

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 08:14:24 am »
My newer TV supports both S-Video and Component, and I feel like the component looks quite a bit better. If only PS1 games on my PS2 would display through component. Oh well.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 11:13:31 am »
Did he get banned or something? You can't click his name and it says guest.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

abe

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 12:33:46 pm »

No, he just got his username changed.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

telly

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 12:30:26 am »

No, he just got his username changed.

Yeah, that was my old account, I felt really bad about leaving my posts in limbo like that but I disliked my old username so much that Matt (or somebody?) graciously deleted my account so I could make a new one. :) I don't have a big collection and I only had about 60 posts or so on my old account.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:46:34 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery