Author Topic: Dealing with spouses. Wait, it's not what you think!  (Read 2605 times)

topspot123

Dealing with spouses. Wait, it's not what you think!
« on: May 25, 2015, 04:15:50 pm »
I saw a post in another thread that gave me a topic idea. 

I never sold any of my games back as a kid, I still have everything I owned (which is why you'll see games like Barbie for the NES in my collection) but my husband traded almost everything he owned to get an XBox when they first came out (before we were married, or I wouldn't have allowed it!) ...every time we go buying, we pick up games he used to have.

My wife appreciates and likes video games, but I'm the 'gamer' in the house.  We only have a very few games that we would refer to as 'hers.'  In the interest of simplicity, I list those game in my collection here  (You know, unless I would be embarrassed by it).

Does your spouse game?  Do they have a separate collection from yours, or is it one shared collection?  What about listing it here, are they together or separate?
If amauriel sees this thread, what about you?  I would think that you've listed one large shared collection, but I don't want to assume.  What's it like to collect with your spouse?

Re: Dealing with spouses. Wait, it's not what you think!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 04:19:31 pm »
My girlfriend is also a hardcore gamer so we rarely but heads when it comes to collecting and buying games. In fact we recently had one of only a handful of issues in regards to collecting just the other day. I am seriously considering going for a complete US Dreamcast collection, and she did not like that idea.

doafan

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 05:22:56 pm »
In fact that was of reasons why I choose her (who am kidding she was the one who choose me), before we even get married we talk a lot about videogames, she used to play not only the classics titles like Super Mario Bros in fact when she told me that she actually played Silent Hill or Resident Evil games my first impression was damn: I just hit the jackpot, unfortunately she doesn't like to collect games the only things that she do collect are shoes but that's totally normal in women, the only game that she wanted was the Zumba for the Wii and because of this have to add the Wii to my collection  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 06:20:55 pm »
My wife doesn't mind it; and even contributes when birthdays, anniversaries, and Christmas comes around (because she's awesome). But she's not into it at all.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 06:26:01 pm »
Currently single, but last girlfriend didnt like it. Or my guns. Thought it was strange I kept old video games and thought I should sell both collections. So I kept both my collections and got rid of her.  ;D

True story
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 08:43:42 pm »
Currently single, but last girlfriend didnt like it. Or my guns. Thought it was strange I kept old video games and thought I should sell both collections. So I kept both my collections and got rid of her.  ;D

True story

Excellent choice.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 08:45:18 pm »
i have mine my wife's and daughters game on here.
she doesnt game much.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 08:46:42 pm »
My wife doesn't mind it; and even contributes when birthdays, anniversaries, and Christmas comes around (because she's awesome). But she's not into it at all.

She is definitely a keeper. When your spouse can see you enjoying something so much and support your interests in it that is true love. I think this is especially true with gaming since it is still relatively misunderstood, with collecting being even more misunderstood.

My GF does the same for me. For the 5-years I've been with her birthdays, XMAS and other special occasions have been the best ever :)

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 08:48:40 pm »

She is definitely a keeper. When your spouse can see you enjoying something so much and support your interests in it that is true love. I think this is especially true with gaming since it is still relatively misunderstood, with collecting being even more misunderstood.

My GF does the same for me. For the 5-years I've been with her birthdays, XMAS and other special occasions have been the best ever :)

mine got me a ps4 for xmas this year. last birthday she got me the zelda wii u, she has bought me most of my amiibos.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 08:50:10 pm »

mine got me a ps4 for xmas this year. last birthday she got me the zelda wii u, she has bought me most of my amiibos.

Awesome.

Mine got me a Wii U, the Mario Deluxe Set, for Valentine's Day this year! In the past she's gotten me a Guitar Hero set, a new Wii, a Saturn, and a TurboGrafx-16!

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 08:51:24 pm »

Awesome.

Mine got me a Wii U, the Mario Deluxe Set, for Valentine's Day this year! In the past she's gotten me a Guitar Hero set, a new Wii, a Saturn, and a TurboGrafx-16!

mine would not get me valentines gifts as she knows it goes against what i believe.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 03:50:48 am »
I couldn't find the words to express my gratitude that my wife is as into video games and movies as much as i am. shit, half my dude friends aren't into action films and grindhouse as much as she is. <3 <3 <3
we defs collect together, and it's listed jointly cuz there's nothing that is distinctly "his and hers" about any of it.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:53:24 am by wvdoom »

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:23:48 am »
My wife has been a PC gamer and a tabletop RPG player since her being a teenager 20 years ago so even if we focus on different types of games we both have a thing for gaming and that's awesome. She loves to take screnshots, it's like a photo hobby but in videogames. She uses a capture software when she's playing or she takes snaps while i'm playing and she gathers them in albums on Flickr.

At every occasion she gifts me stuff from my wishlist and understands the true value those old boxes and hardware have, that's why she's totally excited about our retrogaming room project we will work on next year in our newly constructed house.

Since she's more into modern PC gaming or plays old stuff with digital GoG library on her PC she doesn't really collect anything, all that is listed here is "my" collection but she likes to play with me on console games time to time.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 03:23:24 pm »
This is a good question!  My bf has a collection page on here as well, though he doesn't use it as actively as I do.  Sometimes I'm tempted to add his items to my collection, but I haven't quite figured out when it's ok for me to do it and when I shouldn't, ha.

But I love that we both collect/game.  He used to be the sort to sell his stuff back but over the last few years (and especially after seeing my collection in person), he started to realize the joy of looking at all the new physical boxes, artwork, and collectors editions.

It certainly doesn't hurt that he works at GameStop now!

My wife has been a PC gamer and a tabletop RPG player since her being a teenager 20 years ago so even if we focus on different types of games we both have a thing for gaming and that's awesome. She loves to take screnshots, it's like a photo hobby but in videogames. She uses a capture software when she's playing or she takes snaps while i'm playing and she gathers them in albums on Flickr.

Those images are great!  I'll definitely follow :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:25:18 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

yancakes

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 01:21:12 pm »
My wife has few enough games that I just include them in my collection. That being said she primarily games on the PC and I don't log steam at all. She rolls her eyes when I buy games a lot of the time but understands that it's my hobby, and I think she's just happy that I don't play MtG anymore  ;D our gaming taste is pretty complimentary, which is to say we don't step on each other toes ever... she likes city builders and plays a TONNE of the likes of Banished (and yes Sims 3) while I tend to stick to my consoles.