Author Topic: Favorite controller?  (Read 2902 times)

woahsweetgreyphix

Favorite controller?
« on: May 25, 2015, 05:19:29 pm »
Controller talk! Which one is your favorite? Is it one from a classic system that brings back a lot of memories, or is it a modern one that seemed to get everything right? Maybe it's not even an official controller! I'd love to know!  :D

You could also include:

Least favorite controller
Your preferred controller for a particular genre (fighting, RPG, racing, etc.)

doafan

Re: Favorite controller?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 05:27:35 pm »
My favorite controller without a doubt it has to be the one for the Playstation 2 I even purchased a PS2 to USB adapter to play in my computer the M.U.G.E.N engine, the least favorite it should be the Dreamcast, don't get the wrong idea I do love the console but for some damn reason the controller doesn't fit well in my hand but that was never a reason to avoid playing it  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 05:33:53 pm »
The 360 controller is probably my favorite in terms of comfort and use, especially as I use it as my PC controller also.  The PS2/PS3 one isn't too bad either, though I don't like the triggers on them.

Least favorite, despite being one of my favorite systems, is the N64 one for all the obvious reasons.  I guess the one thing I like is that it does have a full on grip to it due to its shape, but that analog stick...damn.  The Xbox fatty original is close though cause of its enormity.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 06:15:30 pm »
Ps3 is my fav. I hate the Wii Mote.....
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:02:01 pm by fighterpilot562 »
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 06:18:02 pm »
SNES controller, hands down. I've always preferred d-pads to thumbsticks and this had the best d-pad and button layout combo. Along with nice curved edges for long play sessions. (Those NES controller corners would dig into your hand after playing for a while.)

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 07:17:09 pm »
SNES controller, hands down. I've always preferred d-pads to thumbsticks and this had the best d-pad and button layout combo. Along with nice curved edges for long play sessions. (Those NES controller corners would dig into your hand after playing for a while.)

If I had to choose non-analog stick controllers, I'd agree.  Best feel in comparison to all the others.  Never particularly cared for any of the Genesis designs.

retrogemcollector

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 07:54:15 pm »
Game Cube

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 07:58:25 pm »
Playstation Duel Shock

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 08:38:45 pm »
playstation duel shock (especially 4)  also love the xbox 360 one. and the 6 button Genesis.

hate N64  its like you need 3 hands

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 08:44:14 pm »
playstation duel shock (especially 4)  also love the xbox 360 one. and the 6 button Genesis.

I actually like the N64 controller. Yes, there is always one part of it that goes ignored (usually the D-Pad), but it has always felt comfortable to me.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 08:47:15 pm »

I completely agree. That's why I bought the Raphnet controller adapter that allows you to use a GameCube controller on the N64. Made a world a difference for me. I can actually enjoy a number of N64 games, now.

I actually like the N64 controller. Yes, there is always one part of it that goes ignored (usually the D-Pad), but it has always felt comfortable to me.

The thumbstick is also way too sensitive and prone to breaking easily.

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 08:50:04 pm »

I completely agree. That's why I bought the Raphnet controller adapter that allows you to use a GameCube controller on the N64. Made a world a difference for me. I can actually enjoy a number of N64 games, now.

The thumbstick is also way too sensitive and prone to breaking easily.

my issue with the N64 is that is the start of the 3d and everything had to be 3d but they were not good at it.

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 08:55:20 pm »
For me, the perfect controller would be the DualShock 4 with the Xbox One controller's thumbsticks and the Wii U Pro Controller's battery life.

stealthrush

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 09:37:20 pm »
Retro: JP Sega Saturn controller (HSS-0101-S)
Modern: Xbox 360 controller

Least: Nintendo 64, what a cluster fuck.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:02:03 pm by stealthrush »

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 09:44:39 pm »
If I'm playing a shooter or strategy gotta grab a mouse. As far as actual controllers go....

I'll go with the GameCube controller.
The handles and triggers are wonderfully comfortable in my hands.
The layout of the face buttons is great. It's easy for the thumb to rock side to side to reach the other buttons making it great for fighters and games that might requires multiple buttons to be pressed at the same time. For some reason I've always struggled with that on traditional diamond configured face buttons, finding that others have their buttons too far apart.
The analog triggers work quite well in the games that fully utilized them.
The only thing I don't like about the controller is that the wires are too short on the standard version.
I've heard people dump on the GC controller before but I can't figure out why. Anyone know why?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:47:55 pm by badATchaos »