Author Topic: Mojibake (Unreadable Characters)  (Read 737 times)

Mojibake (Unreadable Characters)
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:51:41 am »
Hello Crew,

I'm a new member on the site, and let me start by telling you how much I like this site. Lot of items in the DB, responsive website, mobile friendly and still room for improvement. I really love it, good job and keep it up! This is exactly what I needed to track my 15+ years collection.

I have a question regarding Japanese titles. I lived a long time in Japan and manage to buy a lot of different games and hardware over the years and I like to be able to read/search for the original title. But on VGCollect, all I see when there's a Japanese Title in the item description is mojibake (scrambled non-senses characters) and not Japanese. What encoding system is the website using? I have my browser set to "autodetect" and "UTF-8" by default.

It looks OK on the forums though:
サムライスピリッツ
餓狼伝説

Thanks for your help.

SoPa

Re: Mojibake (Unreadable Characters)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:06:09 pm »
The site was recently updated to correct this. Newly created entries should no longer have this problem. Older ones may still have Mojibake because they were made before the update. Feel free to submit any corrections you feel are necessary. With that said keep in mind we're trying to move toward the Roman alphabet so ideally there shouldn't be any Mojibake or Japanese characters to begin with.  ;)

Welcome to VGCollect.

Re: Mojibake (Unreadable Characters)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:59:59 pm »
Thanks for the reply and details batATchaos. I'll keep it in mind.