Author Topic: Soo.. I went to a sega panel...  (Read 1064 times)

Soo.. I went to a sega panel...
« on: July 05, 2015, 04:35:07 am »
I love going to conventions. I have been wanting to go to some cons for just video games but none are in Atlanta. Soo I tried out momocon in Atlanta. It's for anima, comics and games. Funny thing was I saw a guy that tried to buyy collection out lol(but that's for another story). There was a panel hosted for sega(by sega). And my goodness was it sad.... I mean I am one of those people that have (kinda fake) hope for a new console. But it was just plain sad. This guy literally just talked about upcoming games and all the games were old SMS and gen games that they are re-releaseing games for the 3ds... So I wouldn't be expecting much from sega in the near future.anyone else been to a sega panel at a con?
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

Re: Soo.. I went to a sega panel...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 04:53:55 am »
Sega does do more than re-releases, but I don't think we'll ever see anything big come from them again and of course a new console would never happen ever.  I think they'll just kinda trot along with their basic publishing duties, continuing to misunderstand what to do to make their franchises successful again, and just continue to be a presence, but nothing more.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 10:41:19 am »
As much as I love Sega, even saying they are a shadow of their former shelf is being too generous to them. It saddens me greatly to see what they have become; a developer who only is interested in funding new Sonic games and occasionally decent PC games. They've more or less abandoned the Arcade (still develop some arcade games, but Japan is the only one that gets to enjoy them) is also disturbing. And now they are going to be focusing more on mobile games really tells me they are struggling big time! There will never be another console from these guys, ever, hell we not even get games from them if things continue they way they have been. . .

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 12:07:43 pm »
Not to mention PSO2 which never made it overseas. I played this game on the JP servers for months and that was really a dumb move from SEGA not to pull an international release because it's an awesome game.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

yancakes

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 02:32:30 pm »
I read a really good post a couple of years back about SEGA and why they're such a shadow of their former selves... especially compared to Nintendo.

Nintendo have had, largely, the same leaders in their company for decades. Take Zelda- the original creators of Zelda, and not just Miyamoto, are still there today. Some of them have moved on, a lot of people who worked on the original game have risen in the company. So they are still super passionate about Zelda because it's their baby.

But with SEGA, because the company has changed so much- major cuts after their hardware bombed, a few bad decisions, the company just not being a place that has that "successful future" feel has meant a lot of their original staff, including a lot of the people who worked on the various early Sonic games have moved on. So new Sonic games are being made by entirely new teams, many of whom might have played Sonic growing up, indeed, and therefor have fond memories about it but the passion just isn't there because it's not their baby.

And because the Nintendo high ups are the creators of the original games, their focus is making THEIR game good. The high ups in Sega are more businessmen at this point, somewhat detached and only interested in putting out games and making money.

That's actually part of the reason why Sonic goes through so many changes, too. Mario has remained largely the same character because Miyamoto is like "no this design is good it's always been good", while Sonic gets a major redesign almost every couple of games at this point- because they're just not attached to him. They want to revamp him to hit a new market every time, whereas Nintendo has never lost their fanbase.

gf78

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 12:25:38 pm »
It's sad how far Sega has fallen.  People seem to think that when they shifted to being a 3rd party software developer, it was their downfall.  In reality, it was decisions like folding their different development studios together, closing others and just making bad games. Sega produces few games themselves now besides Sonic and lets face it:  Those all suck.  No sugar-coating it. 

The only bright side is studios they own like Atlus and Creative Assembly.  But the days of great games from AM2, Sonic Team, Overworks, Smilebit and others are long gone

On a side note, everyone thinks that Nintendo going 3rd party would end in disaster much like it did for Sega.  The difference is Nintendo cares about their characters.  They wouldn't whore Zelda, Metroid and Mario (among many others) out or make cookie-cutter sequels for a quick buck. 

Nintendo going 3rd party would be ideal for me.  I always suffer buyer's regret after purchasing a Nintendo console and it's been this way since the N64.  A handful of games that are superb, but nothing else from 3rd parties.  I also don't have much faith in the NX...whatever it is, especially when it is rumored that it will not be as powerful as the PS4.  Three years later....and still not as powerful? 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us