Author Topic: Anyone else excited for the 20th Anniversary PlayStation goodies rolling out?  (Read 2458 times)

gf78

I was extremely disappointed that I was unable to acquire one of those beautiful, limited PS4's in the OG grey.  I'm also not really willing to pay upwards of $1,500 for one on eBay because some scalper snatched them up to resell, screwing the true-blue fans like me over in the process.  I told my wife, if they ever release the controller for general sale, I had to have one. 

Well, lo & behold preorders have gone up for 20th anniversary Dual Shock 4 and Gold Wireless headsets!!!!  I showed my wife on my phone while we were out and she told me if I wanted it, stop at Gamestop and she would preorder it for me.  I went in, paid in full while they told me about the headset which I already knew was coming.  I told them my wife would kill me and left it at that.  When I returned to the car, I told her they were trying to get me to buy the Gold headset too.  She asked me how much it was and when I told her, she said if you want it, this is your chance.  Go in and preorder it.  So what's a fanboy like me to do?  I ran my butt back in their and preordered it too!

They are to be my birthday gifts from her and our two daughters, and it seemed fitting that they release on 09/30 which is my birthday!

So with my goofy story out of the way, is anyone else planning on purchasing either of these items?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

I was sad to miss out on the PS4 as well. They were so limited it felt like a bit of a screw you to the fans. I am glad they are going to be selling the controller on its own. Perhaps if they see there is enough interest in it they will pop out a few more PS4s in  that style as well.

kashell

Can you post some pictures of this? I'm at work and most gaming sites are blocked. ;_; I was planning on getting my PS4 at the end of the month, but I can wait because ToZ and other titles aren't out for a while.

abe

Here be some pics of the controller and headset.

Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

gf78

Can you post some pictures of this? I'm at work and most gaming sites are blocked. ;_; I was planning on getting my PS4 at the end of the month, but I can wait because ToZ and other titles aren't out for a while.

I'm at work as well right now and yep-pretty much everything but VGcollect and arstechnica are blocked here.   >:(

The 20th anniversary console was released last year with a worldwide run of 12,300.  That was it.  The number comes from the PS1's Japanese release date of 12/03/94.  Few actual fans got to purchase the system with scalpers and hackers who knew how to cheat the online ordering system (it was sold online only in the US) scooping them up.  The European system was even worse, with people having to solve riddles online and all kinds of stupid $hit.  Again, hackers ruined it and had answers before the questions even hit the general public.  Basically, Sony botched it and few of these went to people who would actually cherish them.  Each system was numbered on a little metallic block on the side (or top depending on orientation) and included a matching controller, Eye camera and accessories.  The system shell was actually molded covered in tiny PlayStation symbols (square, circle, triangle, X) that you can see if you look at it in just the right light. 

Since this September marks the 20th anniversary of the PS1's US and European releases, Sony is offering the Gold Wireless headset and Dual Shock 4 in the classic colors.  They are the original PlayStation grey with the colored "PS" logo on them. 

I would love Sony to do another run of the limited edition system.  They could leave off the numbered plate, designate the systems with different packaging...there are a million things they could do which would keep the 12,300 original run limited but give fans looking for that nostalgia a chance to own one.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

Here be some pics of the controller and headset.

Thanks Abe!!!!!

kashell

Thanks for the pictures, Abe.

So, it's not the actual console but some controllers that pay homage to the original PS?

gf78

Thanks for the pictures, Abe.

So, it's not the actual console but some controllers that pay homage to the original PS?

See above.  There was a full console with controller and camera in the original PlayStation's colors.  It was limited to 12,300 units and sold out back in December.  As of right now, no other classic colored systems will be produced, we are however getting the controller and a Gold headset.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:11:20 pm by gf78 »

soera

I had originally pre-ordered the controller the day it was available. Then after looking at it for a while, I realize its not exactly the same one that was packaged with the consoles. It doesnt have that awesome touch pad and instead is just a grey controller with a different colored PS button. :(

gf78

I had originally pre-ordered the controller the day it was available. Then after looking at it for a while, I realize its not exactly the same one that was packaged with the consoles. It doesnt have that awesome touch pad and instead is just a grey controller with a different colored PS button. :(

I noticed that too.  Unfortunately, it's the only way at this point to get a piece of the 20th Anniversary action unless you feel like dropping $1300+ for a unit on eBay with a jacked up price. 

I'm hoping it's a placeholder image because I would reallllllyyyy like to have it with the PS-pattern on the touchpad.   :(

But it does still come in 20th Anniversary packaging.  So there is that.  And they don't make a normal one in the grey color.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

I was pissed when I saw those, cause 3 weeks earlier i bought my ps4 lol
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

argyle

I have been wanting a Gold headset for a while now - sold my Pulse Elite last year because even tho I loved the sound quality, it hurt my head after 30 mins or so. Everyone tells me the Gold headset is VERY comfortable w/ the same quality sound. I had almost decided to just buy one too when this one was announced, so I was SO happy I waited. :)

I want both, but the question is - will I use the controller? The headset won't take any cosmetic damage from being used, but the controller will. I hate to have a $50 "look but don't touch" collectible, but..... :-\
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

gf78

I have been wanting a Gold headset for a while now - sold my Pulse Elite last year because even tho I loved the sound quality, it hurt my head after 30 mins or so. Everyone tells me the Gold headset is VERY comfortable w/ the same quality sound. I had almost decided to just buy one too when this one was announced, so I was SO happy I waited. :)

I want both, but the question is - will I use the controller? The headset won't take any cosmetic damage from being used, but the controller will. I hate to have a $50 "look but don't touch" collectible, but..... :-\

LOL...I'm with you.  But I have two controllers now, so I think I will try to keep this one in the box.