Author Topic: Are images required to be scans, or will a photo work?  (Read 837 times)

Are images required to be scans, or will a photo work?
« on: July 28, 2015, 12:56:01 am »
I've just joined the site today, and I'm slowly moving my collection and wish list off a spreadsheet and on to the site.

I've already come across one game that was not in the database at all (Eltale Monsters (Quest 64 JP)http://vgcollect.com/item/87181) and another game that does not have cartridge artwork (Terranigma JP - http://vgcollect.com/item/24758).

I went ahead and took a photograph of my cartridge for Eltale Monsters when I created the database entry, but I wasn't sure if that was an acceptable way to add images to the database. I have a cartridge for Terranigma as well, and I'd be happy to take a photo. I just don't have a scanner available to me at home.

pacpix

Re: Are images required to be scans, or will a photo work?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:07:14 am »
Welcome to VGCollect! :)

When I first joined the site way back in 2011 I did not have a scanner so this is how I uploaded missing images to the website.  When I took my pictures I made sure I had good lighting and took the picture at a certain angle so that it looked as close to a scan as possible.  While we always prefer scans, if your pictures are of high enough quality they will almost always be accepted.

Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:51:49 am »
All of the images that I have uploaded, that were actually made by me, have been photos. It is a bit more tedious that using a scan because you need to make sure you don't have a glare on the item and it isn't blurry. That's the worst for me because I'm fairly shaky when trying to take photos and often have to have a few goes at it to make sure it is clear enough.

Taking photos is not my first step. I will see if I can find an image online already that is clear and doesn't have a glare or price sticker on it to use instead.

Scanning would be much easier than taking photos!

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 12:52:22 pm »
Scans are very much preferred, but some items are simply too difficult to scan for various reasons (fragile packaging, uneven shape, glossy / shiny foil art or colors) so photos are fine.

Scans from sites like MobyGames or GameFAQs are also acceptable, as long as the scan matches your item completely. There are lots of variants out there and GameFAQs is really bad at keeping their scans straight (people submit images for the wrong version a lot of times.) And don't forget, any picture you find on the internet should have no watermarks.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 12:52:28 pm »
As long as it's a decent photo that, like pacpix mentioned, looks similar to what a scan would show, it's better than having no photo at all.

I try to look up a good photo on the internet first.  If that doesn't work out, I've definitely taken photos of my UMDs with my phone.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 01:03:20 pm »
Some of the artwork I've submitted has been pictures I took with my phone. I just import it into iPhoto, enhance it, sharpen it and crop it. I bet scanning is a better way to do it though overall.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."