Author Topic: So I noticed a whole section of soundtracks...  (Read 1034 times)

So I noticed a whole section of soundtracks...
« on: July 30, 2015, 06:16:40 pm »
Does VGCollect seriously want to add every game soundtrack imaginable...? I'm just thinking of the amount of entries VGMdb has that aren't anime soundtracks entries. It's a lot. And then there are also enclosure soundtracks... so this, for example. We adding a separate entry for those?

Just want to know how serious the soundtracks section is.

maximo310

Re: So I noticed a whole section of soundtracks...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 06:50:59 pm »
So far the soundtrack section doesn't seem too big to be a problem. If it gets to a certain thershold then we might need to make designations for different types or soundtracks under subcategories. I'll defenitely be adding more to this section.

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:24:48 pm »
I think soundtracks are just part of the swag section, where folks can add entries, but it's not, by any means, meant to be complete.  It was a way for people to add soundtracks to their collection if they were bundled with game (but not part of a bigger limited edition bundle).  This also applies to things like pre-order swag (like artbooks, keychains, etc.).

They are allowing the records to be added with the understanding that the site is focused on the games and game variants.  Other categories like t-shirts and soundtracks will never be "complete" or super extensive as it's pretty much impossible without that being the focus of the site.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:27:12 pm »
Does VGCollect seriously want to add every game soundtrack imaginable...? I'm just thinking of the amount of entries VGMdb has that aren't anime soundtracks entries. It's a lot. And then there are also enclosure soundtracks... so this, for example. We adding a separate entry for those?

Just want to know how serious the soundtracks section is.

Do you own it? Then you can add it.

You don't have to add every soundtrack out there. It's unnecessary, and frankly it's a little bit crazy! As for enclosure soundtracks... I personally do not like them being added as a separate entry because they clutter up your item count, kinda like how DLC and accessory listings clutter up your item count. (I don't add every bit of DLC I own, nor all accessories, etc.) But some people do since they can be bought separately from the items they came with. So it's up to you.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 09:47:04 pm »
Ah okay, I'm understanding the scope of this a little more now. Thanks guys.

I personally wouldn't add enclosure soundtracks either, it's what we have the "Other" checkbox for when you add a game to your collection :) And I'm actually not thinking about adding soundtracks to my collection at all since it's exactly that, clutter. I just wondered if I should add some soundtracks just to do so. But I think I'll leave it to people to add it themselves, and I'll personally focus on the PS2 NTSC-J games.

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:55:37 pm »
Ah okay, I'm understanding the scope of this a little more now. Thanks guys.

I personally wouldn't add enclosure soundtracks either, it's what we have the "Other" checkbox for when you add a game to your collection :) And I'm actually not thinking about adding soundtracks to my collection at all since it's exactly that, clutter. I just wondered if I should add some soundtracks just to do so. But I think I'll leave it to people to add it themselves, and I'll personally focus on the PS2 NTSC-J games.
'

Sounds good :D  Yeah, some folks like to catalog everything they have related to gaming while others like to keep it strictly to just certain things.  Add whatever you want to see in your collection  ;D
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas