Author Topic: What's the difference between VC and eShop?  (Read 1924 times)

telly

What's the difference between VC and eShop?
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:03:10 am »
So, I was planning on adding a game to the database (Megaman Battle Network 2) which was released on the virtual console this past January. I was confused however, whether to submit the game under the Virtual Console or the WiiU eShop [NA], and was wondering if someone knew what the difference was when classifying entries. I'd like to submit some more games but I'm not sure how to do it.

I didn't see an entry for either platform, so I ended up submitting MMBN2 under the eShop designation. Maybe if I had a WiiU I would know a little better about VC, etc.

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:10:09 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

abe

Re: What's the difference between VC and eShop?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:19:13 am »
I was about too say it should go into the WiiU Virtual Console section since it's on the WiiU Virtual Console, but I just looked and apparently such a section does not exist in the database. We only have Wii Virtual Console section, so I'd say you did the right thing when you put it under the WiiU eShop. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

telly

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 10:55:31 am »
Maybe the Virtual Console needs to be split by platform?

Like you were thinking, I was going to put it into Virtual Console as well; my thoughts were that the eShop was just the hub where the games are bought. But I saw the eShop is split by platform, and VC isn't.
Currently Playing:

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 01:01:41 pm »
I think that they are still technically virtual console games, but I have no idea. I think calling them eShop games doesn't sound as good.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 01:23:46 pm »
The eShop / VC confusion has been prevalent ever since they launched their various digital platforms.  Some images would be marked as eShop, only to be changed later to VC and vice-versa.

I think the admins might need to take another look at whether we need to separate eShop from VC or lump all VC into the eShop category.  At the moment, it looks like Nintendo is just keeping VC under the eShop umbrella on their website.

If it were eShop only, that'll cut down on the confusion so that we could keep things to XBL, PSN, and eShop, for instance.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:41:23 pm »
Virtual Console releases released on the original Wii are Virtual Console. Original games and indie games released on original Wii are Wii Shop games.

"Virtual Console" AND original/indie games released on Wii U are eShop games.

telly

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 03:19:28 pm »
Virtual Console releases released on the original Wii are Virtual Console. Original games and indie games released on original Wii are Wii Shop games.

"Virtual Console" AND original/indie games released on Wii U are eShop games.

Ok, I guess that does make sense. At least I put the game in the right category! It still seems weird that there's a distinction just for Wii games and not for WiiU/3DS when it comes to the VC.  :-\
Currently Playing: