Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 remake  (Read 5099 times)

dondetti

Final Fantasy 7 remake
« on: August 04, 2015, 08:56:27 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_remake
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg

I know it's it's old news by now but what are your thoughts? I used to really long after a remake of one of my all time favorites and naturally the trailer looks amazing. But I don't know what to think about the "drastic combat changes" that apparently will happen in the remake. Of course the combat system of the original appears terribly dated and slow now (sans the materia/slot system, I still think it's really fun), so it's no surprise they are working on that. I'm just afraid they will mess it up, like into some sort of action/round-based hybrid which I hate with a passion.

That game is probably the only reason I'm considering the PS4 but I guess I'll hold off until I've seen some legit game footage.
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
To the horrid spooky devil
That's a voyage to Hell

Games: https://vgcollect.com/dondetti
Music: https://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/parabellum

gf78

Re: Final Fantasy 7 remake
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:17:21 am »
I'm all for it.  Square is never going to make everyone happy with the remake.  As soon as they change the  battle system, an animation, a dialog box or just about anything...some whiny twit will blow up the interwebz whining about it.

For me, the story can diverge and change as needed as long as it stays true to the original.  That is, Cloud and company save the planet from Sephiroth.  It's the characters that I love about the original the most. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

soera

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:25:15 am »
Im all for it too. I didnt mind the original battle system personally but I dont care how it changes either unless it takes on a more SRPG chess battle system. They better not remove the battle music though! That was super awesome.

And a side note. gf78, you are missing Dragon Quest Heroes in your PS4 pre-order list. :( :( :(

gf78

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:27:23 am »
Im all for it too. I didnt mind the original battle system personally but I dont care how it changes either unless it takes on a more SRPG chess battle system. They better not remove the battle music though! That was super awesome.

And a side note. gf78, you are missing Dragon Quest Heroes in your PS4 pre-order list. :( :( :(

LOL...the battle music.  That music still runs through my head till this day.  It's like the Mario or Zelda themes.  You never forget them.  I was actually listening to this a month or so ago on YouTube.  My daughter was looking at me like I was nuts.

Yeah, I realize I was missing Dragon Quest Heroes.  My wife just had surgery and she's out of work.  Her doctor is filling out her disability paperwork.  We are going to be short "fun money" for a bit.  That's why I've been paying off bills like crazy and getting some of my gaming purchases out of the way before the shortfall.  I'm hoping that if I can't preorder it, somebody will get it for me as a gift for my birthday or Christmas.  I hope.   :-\
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:33:36 am »
While I am not a FF fan, I am happy my fellow gamers are happy they are getting something.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

gf78

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:37:16 am »
Oh...while I'm at it, they better not remove the end music either when you battle Sephiroth!  That was awesome!  And they need to keep the Knights of the Round summon.  That was friggin' awesome!

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 12:27:06 pm »
A FFVII game with Advent Children aesthetics and a battle system similar to FFXII or to what I've tested on the FFXV demo would be nice indeed.

If they really want to make a full 3D remake with the technical level expected from a PS4 game - ala FFXV - I'm really wondering how the hell they will handle this without cutting huge chunks from the game. It's still a mystery to me, I'm not sure they're wiling tol spend 300M$ in this so I'm really curious of what SE will show in 2 years.

Now to see if they will keep the atmosphere and the detail level that made the game, I don't want it to become a brainless action-RPG or a linear scripted QTE-fest with rockn roll music. They need to keep the contemplative moments and the tone of the dialogues, even if the dialogues could be much improved I think they need a lighter tone that what was presented in the FFVII:AC OAV.

I have no problem with them changing much stuff but i'd like at least to find the same kind of atmosphere and the depth of the original game.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

dondetti

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 12:38:50 pm »
I'm all for it.  Square is never going to make everyone happy with the remake.  As soon as they change the  battle system, an animation, a dialog box or just about anything...some whiny twit will blow up the interwebz whining about it.

For me, the story can diverge and change as needed as long as it stays true to the original.  That is, Cloud and company save the planet from Sephiroth.  It's the characters that I love about the original the most.

I guess? It's silly to think that the remake won't differ much from the original that is nearing its 20th anniversary. It is a remake after all, if some folks can't handle major differences they should rather just go grab the HD retouch or revisit the original again.

It is one game I'm a bit emotional about and rightfully declared as a milestone for its time in my book. So naturally for me the bar is set pretty high. My hope is that it will turn out sort of like the transition from Super Metroid to Metroid Prime, a game that is vastly different from the original but the core feeling/atmosphere/ideas are still intact or at least comparable in quality while the gameplay as a whole got a clever major update that is still fun and immersive.

tbh I wouldn't actually describe me as a huge fan of the series as a whole. I have little to no interest after VII. So I actually don't really know what to expect. I'm sure the characters and story will stay mostly intact to cater to the canon aware fanbase but everything else is anyone's guess. I'm mostly afraid about the combat system, I'm sort of expecting something like Crisis Core which I played a little and could not get into at all.

I'm looking forward to this, but I'm still a bit in doubt if it will work out for me.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:41:40 pm by dondetti »
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
That's a voyage to Hell

gf78

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 02:44:13 pm »

I guess? It's silly to think that the remake won't differ much from the original that is nearing its 20th anniversary. It is a remake after all, if some folks can't handle major differences they should rather just go grab the HD retouch or revisit the original again.

It is one game I'm a bit emotional about and rightfully declared as a milestone for its time in my book. So naturally for me the bar is set pretty high. My hope is that it will turn out sort of like the transition from Super Metroid to Metroid Prime, a game that is vastly different from the original but the core feeling/atmosphere/ideas are still intact or at least comparable in quality while the gameplay as a whole got a clever major update that is still fun and immersive.

tbh I wouldn't actually describe me as a huge fan of the series as a whole. I have little to no interest after VII. So I actually don't really know what to expect. I'm sure the characters and story will stay mostly intact to cater to the canon aware fanbase but everything else is anyone's guess. I'm mostly afraid about the combat system, I'm sort of expecting something like Crisis Core which I played a little and could not get into at all.

I'm looking forward to this, but I'm still a bit in doubt if it will work out for me.

I wasn't the biggest fan in the early days.  I played through the first a couple of times and really loved it.  Never played the second on the SNES, but I played III (in reality, FFVI) and thought it was good.  It wasn't until Final Fantasy VII that I fell in love with the series.  The story, the setting, the characters, the...*sniff*sniff*...death of Aeris, the final battle with Sephiroth and to see Red XIII at the end with his cubs.  Nature taking over and reclaiming the land...it left a lasting impression to say the least. 

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 02:59:18 pm »
As long as the story isn't altered, the music is the same just remade with newer versions, and it's still a turn based RPG, I'll be happy.  Heard they might alter the gameplay which would be a pretty bad idea.  The combat shift in the FF series since 12 & 13 have been awful and it would really be a disservice to the game to awkwardly shove in that kind of combat over the classic style.  I prefer action combat like in FFXV, but FF7 is a turn based combat game and should stay as such.

dondetti

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 06:00:09 pm »

I wasn't the biggest fan in the early days.  I played through the first a couple of times and really loved it.  Never played the second on the SNES, but I played III (in reality, FFVI) and thought it was good.  It wasn't until Final Fantasy VII that I fell in love with the series.  The story, the setting, the characters, the...*sniff*sniff*...death of Aeris, the final battle with Sephiroth and to see Red XIII at the end with his cubs.  Nature taking over and reclaiming the land...it left a lasting impression to say the least.

As a German I never got a good chance to play III/VI when it came out as I was too young/too broke to import the US one and understand how to get them to work on a PAL system. I dabbled a bit with Mystic Quest and Final Fantasy Legend on the Game Boy (which don't belong to the main series anyway) but VII was the one that seriously got me at a young age.

Later in the 90ies I found III/VI in a second hand store for like 5 bucks and it sat around a couple years until I finally found an adapter for this one to check out, so I had a different experience because I was much older and SNES was already long out of style, it wasn't "new"  anymore so to say. But I can definately see why a lot of people think it's the best one as it also has some surprisingly intense scenes, especially for a 16 bit game, and the apocalyptic feel of the wastelands and the constant dread of Kefka in the latter half for example is conveyed really well.

I just feel that VII took it even further, because with the system and the then huge amount of available space on the CDs compared to cardridges, they were able to do that. I love all the gorgeous and otherworldly background art as well as the unique soundtrack - stuff like ascending Corel Mt. kind of made you feel like it is a world worth fighting for which was hardly there in the titles before. And say what you want about the popeye arms, stereotypes and horrible typos, they still managed to include some emotionally appealing, almost naturally sounding dialogue in there, like how the characters emphasize their feelings with little gestures, stuff like that...I think because of this, the death of Aeris managed to leave an such an impact to the gamers, because it was easy to bond with the likeable characters, their backstories and "personalities".

To give another much earlier example is Nei from Phantasy Star II, but everyone in this game felt flat as a white wall (which was admittedly typical for a late 80ies game), so her death was pretty much whatever to me since every playable character just sort of randomly dropped by at the hero's home, no reasons given, so why should I feel sad about a character that I never "got to know"?

FFVII didn't have first major character death in a video game but I think one of the first ones that actually was somewhat shocking for the viewer.

PS. I played VIII for some hours and absolutely hated the shit out of it. That's probably why I never invested myself in the series much after that anymore.

As long as the story isn't altered, the music is the same just remade with newer versions, and it's still a turn based RPG, I'll be happy.  Heard they might alter the gameplay which would be a pretty bad idea.  The combat shift in the FF series since 12 & 13 have been awful and it would really be a disservice to the game to awkwardly shove in that kind of combat over the classic style.  I prefer action combat like in FFXV, but FF7 is a turn based combat game and should stay as such.

I don't think so because keeping really dated core game mechanics in a major title for the PS4 might be a bit too risky or questionable, especially if everything else is changed into state of the art stuff. The story and music I can see both remaining mostly close to the original as both are highly revered and still hold well up to this day. Obviously they'd at least orchestrate the MIDI based original music though.
Personally I'd be just as happy if they would just tweak the original combat system a bit and leave it at that. On the other hand, what's the use of a remake if it didn't have a different gaming experience after all?
I think it's fair to assume it basically is going to be a different game and to hope they make the best of it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:08:36 pm by dondetti »
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
That's a voyage to Hell

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 09:47:26 pm »
I don't think so because keeping really dated core game mechanics in a major title for the PS4 might be a bit too risky or questionable, especially if everything else is changed into state of the art stuff. The story and music I can see both remaining mostly close to the original as both are highly revered and still hold well up to this day. Obviously they'd at least orchestrate the MIDI based original music though.
Personally I'd be just as happy if they would just tweak the original combat system a bit and leave it at that. On the other hand, what's the use of a remake if it didn't have a different gaming experience after all?
I think it's fair to assume it basically is going to be a different game and to hope they make the best of it.

I don't think turn based is really that dated, it's still used today in games.  There are ways they could update it for sure as enemies being on screen rather than random encounters, making the combat more action packed with camera angles and such, but I really hated FF13's change in combat.  It almost became automated and was pretty uninteresting.  I'd like for them to do turn based with action prompts like Super Mario RPG.  Get more damage by pressing an attack button at a specific point, or other interactive means depending on the attack.

The majority of people don't want a new gaming experience, the point of wanting and getting this was to see the classic game revisited with a modern graphics overhaul and enhancements, maybe even extra new content that works alongside the old stuff, not to get a different game out of it.

maximo310

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 01:31:30 am »

I don't think turn based is really that dated, it's still used today in games.  There are ways they could update it for sure as enemies being on screen rather than random encounters, making the combat more action packed with camera angles and such, but I really hated FF13's change in combat.  It almost became automated and was pretty uninteresting.  I'd like for them to do turn based with action prompts like Super Mario RPG.  Get more damage by pressing an attack button at a specific point, or other interactive means depending on the attack.

The majority of people don't want a new gaming experience, the point of wanting and getting this was to see the classic game revisited with a modern graphics overhaul and enhancements, maybe even extra new content that works alongside the old stuff, not to get a different game out of it.
Yeah I'd have to agree with this statement. Turn-based vs action based is more of a preference I think than anything else, especially since action rpg's have been around for at least 25 years now.  As for the remake, it seems that remakes that change a bunch of things from the original game get more mixed reception and less sales than remakes that play it safe.  Even new and innovated games have been turned away in the last several years, because many people don't want to try new things. They like familiarity more and stick with series/genres that they are comfortable with.

haloofthesun

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 10:36:47 pm »
I'm sure everyone has seen that new trailer that was released which actually looks pretty awesome. Still not sure exactly what the battle system is, but it at least seems interesting and better than 13's.

However, word has broke today that this is going to be released in multiple parts as episodic content, with each part having a "unique experience", which completely ruins any excitement I had for this game. 1. Buying physical as a complete package means waiting most likely at least a year longer. 2. The game will likely be much, much more linear than anticipated. 3. Square has no idea what they're doing anymore, it's official.

1997: The game is too big for one disc, so let's make it 3!
2015: The game is too big for one disc, so let's chop it into pieces so it's not a cohesive experience anymore and then sell those pieces to people! They'll love it!

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:43 pm »
I don't see it as being a problem.  There's likely going to be a full version released later that'll be the complete package, but this will be a way to release it quicker.  Could probably treat the discs of before as an episode and look at it that way.  I've not seen or or heard anything to be disappointed in the remake so far.  It's far too early to be all doom and gloom about it.

As for the combat, I think it could be interesting as a mix between action and turn based as long as it's handle well.  It seemed like it might be more of just allowing you to move and position yourself, while striking out when your turn happens perhaps.  So far I'm really liking what i'm seeing.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:01:25 pm by kamikazekeeg »