Author Topic: Do you support homebrew/repros or are you against it completely?  (Read 5232 times)

dreama1

Do you support homebrew/repros or are you against it completely?  Do you own any? Do you consider it legit in your eyes?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Do you support homebrew/repros or are you against it completely?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:49:55 pm »
Homebrew, yes, but admittedly I do not know a lot about it and have only bought a select few games that caught my eye, all of them being digital copies through GoG, XBox Live Arcade, or a few ROM downloads here or there. I wouldn't mind having a few of the Mario and Zelda homebrews on cartridge, though.

Repros, no. I buy the originals. If I have any repros in my collection, they were well-disguised and I have no idea, lol.

thewelshman

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:56:18 pm »
I'm all for homebrews. I only wish I had half the intelligence of the people who can hack consoles. I'm mostly a huge fan due to the translating community that's allowed me to play games that were never released in the States. Repros, no, if its someone taking advantage of a gamer by selling them a fake in place of a legit item. If I have a game that I know is a repro and paid little for it, then I wouldn't throw a fit. I can't think of an instance that I would, though.

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:01:03 pm »
Homebrew, yes, but admittedly I do not know a lot about it and have only bought a select few games that caught my eye, all of them being digital copies through GoG, XBox Live Arcade, or a few ROM downloads here or there. I wouldn't mind having a few of the Mario and Zelda homebrews on cartridge, though.

Repros, no. I buy the originals. If I have any repros in my collection, they were well-disguised and I have no idea, lol.
Disguised you say? lol Might want to be careful then. Heard about some guy trading some boxed snes  games in. Half of them were repros the guy at the shop was furious.

dreama1

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:03:43 pm »
I'm all for homebrews. I only wish I had half the intelligence of the people who can hack consoles. I'm mostly a huge fan due to the translating community that's allowed me to play games that were never released in the States. Repros, no, if its someone taking advantage of a gamer by selling them a fake in place of a legit item. If I have a game that I know is a repro and paid little for it, then I wouldn't throw a fit. I can't think of an instance that I would, though.
I don know through. How about some of the pc engine cd games  going for 300-500 dollar? Repro only about 30 dollar.  But I think I know what you mean some asshole was selling repros on ebay as legit copies, some member posted it on here a few days ago.

thewelshman

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 08:17:15 pm »
I don know through. How about some of the pc engine cd games  going for 300-500 dollar? Repro only about 30 dollar.  But I think I know what you mean some asshole was selling repros on ebay as legit copies, some member posted it on here a few days ago.

Exactly! I guess I'm against the idea of someone making a huge profit off of it rather that giving gamers a more budget way of accessing games. Not all gamers and collectors have the budget to buy the tons of games that come out monthly.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 08:25:23 pm »
Completely original homebrew games are okay. When it comes to anything else I'm generally against it. If someone takes a ROM of a rare, obscure or translated game and puts it on a cart and sells it, that's illegal.

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 08:40:37 pm »

*coughs*

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 08:45:49 pm »
hahahahaha. i was waiting for your response.

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 09:35:31 pm »
Homebrew games: Hell Yes!
Repros of games never released: Yes I do
Repros of hacked versions of existing games: Yes
Repros of games that never got a English release: yes
Repros of games available in all regions: Nope

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 10:56:52 pm »
Reproductions of hacked games and stuff like that is cool, even though I don't currently own any, but reproductions of existing games and/or their boxes, which seem to be becoming much more frequent if you look on eBay, then no, that pisses me off.

stealthrush

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 10:59:29 pm »

Original games I'm for, although most are average at best.
Translated games I'm for patching myself, not buying any other form.
Expensive exclusives are to be expected, and I condone most reproductions-
The only repro i'm willing to obtain is Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire for PCE ArcadeCD.

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 12:44:06 am »
I have only two homebrew games (Dungeon for Atari 2600 and Pier Solar for Genesis) and I think they're really cool. Would love to buy more, but they tend to fall on the "out of my price range" side of things. There are a few repros of hacked/unreleased/no longer available games that I'd like to own at some point, but again, money is the issue. Repros of games that are readily available, regardless of language, seem sketchy to me. Especially now that I have a Retron 5 and can apply translation patches to games.

I write for a video game/movie/book review blog that can be found here

dondetti

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 03:02:53 am »
Homebrews are very cool, repros are a mixed bag. Repros of games that were never originally released or localisations that never happened back then are fine, but counterfeits of rare games are a big no. I feel the same about music really, I love rare live or rehearsal bootlegs but can't stand counterfeits of rare records.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:05:28 am by dondetti »
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
To the horrid spooky devil
That's a voyage to Hell

Games: https://vgcollect.com/dondetti
Music: https://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/parabellum

kam1kaz3nl77

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 06:10:03 am »
Do you support homebrew/repros or are you against it completely?  Do you own any? Do you consider it legit in your eyes?

I previously owned a repro version of Earthbound (PAL Repro), cause i couldn't find an affordable original. Now i own the real deal.

Currently own 3 repros:
- Mega Man X2 (full cib pall repro)
- Secret of Mana 2 (full cib pal repro)
- Star Ocean (english translated pal rom in original japanese box)

So you could say i'm not against it if it gives me to enjoy games i otherwise don't have a chance to play (besides roms)

I am against people advertising repros as originals on the internet, since they can be so real, with current technologies. Those peple should be ashamed.

Well that's my opnion. :p

Upcoming Pre-orders: