Author Topic: PSP Recommendations  (Read 1930 times)

PSP Recommendations
« on: October 03, 2015, 09:29:40 am »
I'm considering investing in a PSP. I don't know much about them, but I do know that the only functionality I'm concerned with is which model is most cost effective and plays games without much issue. What would you all recommend?

I write for a video game/movie/book review blog that can be found here

abe

Re: PSP Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:53:40 am »
I generally prefer my 2000 model PSP, though I've one instance of a compatibility issue. Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days will run on it but doesn't work properly. It works fine on my 1000 model though, so there's nothing wrong with my copy of the game. From what I've read, there's a couple different versions of the 2000 which have different motherboards depending on when they were made. Perhaps other 2000 model PSPs with the different motherboard wouldn't share this compatibility issue. Aside from that, I had to tape down the switch that the system uses to tell if there's a UMD inserted because it wasn't being pushed in all the way when I actually had one in. That solution has worked just fine and I've had no issues since. Other than that I haven't had issues with it.

The 1000 model is sturdier, but bigger and heavier. That could be a good thing, depending on your personal preference. I haven't used it as much as my 2000 model, but I haven't had any issues with it either.

I haven't used the 3000 model or the PSP Go, so I can't really comment on either. The PSP Go only plays digital copies of games you have on PSN, so I can't really recommend that to anyone as their first PSP.

In terms of cost, there's not too much difference between the 1000 and 2000. You should be able to get whichever one you want in one of the standard releases for under $60. They're both nice, either will work just fine.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 10:01:03 am »
From what I see psp is an overlooked. You can get some very good titles that are unique. Also the fact that it is wifi capable is a bonus. It isn't as durable as a game boy. There is also a large selection of movies available for the psp as well.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:50:45 am »
I am also looking to buy a PSP and from my research, I am considering 2000, because of the scanline issue that the 3000 sometimes encounter, but i just saw this thread, about it not being that bad of an issue.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PSP-3000-Scanline-issue-Is-it-really-that-bad-My-opinion/td-p/6977553
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

abe

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 12:42:37 pm »
I am also looking to buy a PSP and from my research, I am considering 2000, because of the scanline issue that the 3000 sometimes encounter, but i just saw this thread, about it not being that bad of an issue.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PSP-3000-Scanline-issue-Is-it-really-that-bad-My-opinion/td-p/6977553

Now I kinda want a 3000 after reading that. Ghosting is super annoying on the 1000 and 2000 models.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

davifus

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 05:40:30 pm »
I would say the 1000 model then the 2000 model.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 06:42:13 pm »
They're all fairly decent versions, i prefer the 3000 model myself, i do have a 1000 model as well but the 3000 loads games much faster and it is a lot lighter.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 10:26:34 pm »
Anyone still looking to buy a PSP. I saw one in my local area. I need to find out the model. PM if interested

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 02:40:18 pm »
I thought I read that the 1000 model won't hook-up to TVs, when I was thinking about getting one.

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 03:13:24 pm »
I thought I read that the 1000 model won't hook-up to TVs, when I was thinking about getting one.

I think some people have been able to manage it with software and a computer setup, but not nearly as easy as how it is for the slim models.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 02:15:12 am »
I usually go with the latest model of anything because I assume it's the more refined version. Unless it's the Wii mini or PSP Go, get that away from me.

Badges