Author Topic: Video Game Art Books: Love 'em or hate 'em?  (Read 2187 times)

gf78

Video Game Art Books: Love 'em or hate 'em?
« on: October 09, 2015, 03:23:28 pm »
It seems these days that every time I see a review or "unboxing video" for a collector's edition that includes an art book, the reviewer just casually mentions it with a "meh" attitude and tosses it to the side.

And me...I just don't get it.  Art books are just that, art.  I love seeing the development process and designs that went into a game.  Seeing how the designs evolved from concept to finished product.  For me, there is just something wonderful about holding one of those big, heavy hardcover art books in my hands and turning through the glossy pages. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: Video Game Art Books: Love 'em or hate 'em?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 03:30:25 pm »
The art of a game is really what drives it for me. I love having any collector's edition that has an art book. Just seeing how the creators want their character is interesting. It just provides a different insight that you wouldn't get anywhere.

The problem is a lot of people take good graphics for good art direction. So a lot of people just don't care anymore. Kind of how most people hated Windwaker for it's "graphics". Meanwhile it was one of the most beautiful Zelda games.

retroone

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 03:39:47 pm »
Although not a owner of any, I do think they are pretty neat and would like to purchase a few one of these days.

gf78

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 03:41:53 pm »
The art of a game is really what drives it for me. I love having any collector's edition that has an art book. Just seeing how the creators want their character is interesting. It just provides a different insight that you wouldn't get anywhere.

The problem is a lot of people take good graphics for good art direction. So a lot of people just don't care anymore. Kind of how most people hated Windwaker for it's "graphics". Meanwhile it was one of the most beautiful Zelda games.

I have to say that when Wind Waker was initially shown, I thought it sucked.  Once I played it, I fell in love with it.  My initial distaste for the graphics weren't the "toon look" per se, but more because as graphics were progressing at that time, I was expecting a more realistic looking game. 

Good graphics today definitely help draw me into a game, but having drawn for many years myself, I have an appreciation for the hard work and dedication that goes into conceptualizing these characters, creatures and worlds.  It's the foundation that the graphics are built from, not just in games but in everything.  Movies and comics start out the same way.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 04:05:44 pm »
I love art books. Similar to strategy guides, I just peruse them during a light meal, during coffee or when just passing the time. Similar to the way women read Cosmopolitan, I read art books.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 04:54:23 pm »
I like them, they're really cool looking. But they're usually oversized coffee table books, and I don't think their $40-$50 cool.

Hyrule Historia, in particular, really disappointed me recently. Since like 80% of it was focused on Skyward Sword.

indenton

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 05:14:34 pm »
I'm fascinated by concept artwork and the evolution of characters, ideas and environments.  Despite not owning a video game artbook... yet (Rodea: The Sky Soldier should be my first), I do appreciate that kind of stuff. 

Even finding that kind of content featured in-game is cool, Crash Team Racing and Ratchet & Clank come to mind.  I just so happened to have played 'Psychonauts' for the first time, and that feature was very much present.  I really hope 'Genei Ibun Roku #FE' gets an artbook, some of those screenshots look drop-dead gorgeous!

I like them, they're really cool looking. But they're usually oversized coffee table books, and I don't think their $40-$50 cool.

It should definitely be from a game that you were already going to purchase, from a franchise that you care a lot about, while remaining a suitable size for your consumer.  For example, the 'Super Mario Maker' artbook seems nice and compact. 

indenton

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 05:17:14 pm »
Kind of how most people hated Windwaker for it's "graphics". Meanwhile it was one of the most beautiful Zelda games.

Was?

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 05:21:01 pm »
Kind of how most people hated Windwaker for it's "graphics". Meanwhile it was one of the most beautiful Zelda games.

Was?

Okay, you got me. Still is. Especially with the HD Port.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 06:20:44 pm »
Neither. I guess it depends on the game? I never really look at them. Mostly because the art style of many games that comes with such books aren't particularly to my interest. An art books is usually a little overindulgent for my needs when it comes to a game.

maximo310

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 10:30:21 pm »
Usually, I find a ton of small art books in limited edition/collector's edition of games which are usually decent but small for the most part. If I'm looking for bigger art books, then I do some research first before purchasing them. So far, my favorite ones are the Fire Emblem Knights of Iris and Bravely Default art books which I got a few years ago for a good deal. Both are about 300 pages each, and are packed to the brim with art, especially in BD's art book which has art from FF 4 Heroes of Light as well.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 05:55:24 am »
I like art books very much :D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:21:54 am by mastafafik »

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 10:23:56 pm »
When you see the art book for Okami, you will not think that way. Fucking beautiful.

aliensstudios

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 11:58:59 am »
I don't really have any but am very excited for the one that's coming with my Xenoblade Chronicles X special edition which I was fortunate enough to get a preorder in for.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 07:42:37 am »
I don't have a bunch of VG art books but some of them catched my eye, like the Journey AR book, the Okami Complete Works or the Dark Souls Design Works. I documented them on my blog or on my imgur.

They give more fuel to your love for a particular game and make a big credit to the work of the teams behind them, when it's well made it's really worth it !

BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE