Author Topic: Whats wrong with a Xbox?  (Read 4227 times)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Whats wrong with a Xbox?
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:20:08 pm »
They are so cheap to get, so whats the problem with it?

And for the record, its the first Xbox  ;), and i bought one.

gf78

Re: Whats wrong with a Xbox?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:43:53 pm »
There's nothing "wrong" with it.  It was a good system with the best graphics of the three (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube).  It has a small library of exclusive (console exclusive anyway) titles like Halo 1 & 2, Fable, Forza, Otogi 1 & 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Toejam & Earl 3, Voodoo Vince and several others that are must-play games IMO.  Once they replaced the "Duke" controller with the "S" model, things were even better. 

I had one until a couple of years ago when I sold a huge chunk of my collection off.  I will probably get one again sometime down the road, though it's not a priority.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 03:53:35 pm »
Well the controller, other than that, nothing really.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 04:06:53 pm »
I like Xbox. Halo 1 & 2, Morrowind, and MechAssault 1 & 2 are some of my favorite games. Stubbs the Zombie is also a very funny game.

Back then, it also had the best versions of multiplatform games. Plus you got Xbox Live and a hard drive.

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:02:27 pm »
I like the system a lot. The only thing that I hate is that the Japanese imports I want for the system , like Metal Wolf Chaos, are ridiculously expensive.

indenton

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 07:50:14 pm »
Not to mention, Jet Set Radio Future (another Xbox exclusive) looks like a blast

karyann

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 08:10:09 pm »
There's nothing wrong with the system per se, as in there's nothing like "it makes you sick after 5 minutes of play". The rest is basically personal preference, so one can't really say it's a bad console, just that they don't like it  :P

(For the record, I don't like it. So I'm definitely not saying that to defend it haha)

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 08:27:27 pm »
Good system.  So many weekends doing Halo LAN parties with it.  Had a few good exclusives and I liked it for the most part other than the big 'ole "Duke" controller.  The S one was way better.  I actually picked up one awhile back at a thrift shop or flea market I believe.  Some day I'd love to do an old school Xbox original Halo LAN party again lol No shields, magnums on, no time limit, Sidewinder and Blood Gulch CTF.  Hours were spent on those maps lol

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 11:04:56 pm »
It's a highly underrated console since most people saw Halo and a select few other games and completely ignored the rest of its great library of games. I personally prefer it to the Gamecube and that is saying quite a bit. I highly recommend it, especially if you plan to collect for it. It's still insanely cheap to get games for aside from a few titles.

But nothing is wrong with it, it's an excellent system all around.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 12:15:57 am »
Mostly, the complaint is - controller is too bulky, and not enough Japanese role playing games. Neither of which are a problem for me with the S controller in hand. IMO, it was the best Xbox because it had personality. It actually has a lot of games that aren't on PS2 or GC, there were at least a couple of exclusives in every genre. It received a number of games ported from PC, which nowadays you probably couldn't find or run without buying on Steam.

There's also a little bit of lingering resentment there from Sega fans (not me) and Sony fans, mostly for being the new kid on the block and catering to a western audience.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 10:06:04 am »
About the controller, i have no problem with that....big hands.

And most seem positive over it, so im gonna purchase some more games for it starting with burningdoom favorites  :D.

gf78

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 08:30:08 am »
About the controller, i have no problem with that....big hands.

And most seem positive over it, so im gonna purchase some more games for it starting with burningdoom favorites  :D.

Some of my personal favorites for the system:
Conker Live & Reloaded
Otogi - Myth of Demons
Otogi 2
Voodoo Vince
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 08:31:49 am »
There's nothing wrong with the system per se, as in there's nothing like "it makes you sick after 5 minutes of play". The rest is basically personal preference, so one can't really say it's a bad console, just that they don't like it  :P

(For the record, I don't like it. So I'm definitely not saying that to defend it haha)

Funny you mention "it makes you sick after 5 minutes of play."  Because that is exactly what some of the games did to me.  I absolutely could not play Jet Set Radio Future, Gunvalkyrie or Rune Viking Warlord.  I would feel like I had to puke within five minutes tops.  I could play Dead or Alive 3, but it would make me sick to my stomach after about 20 minutes.  Everything else was ok with me though.   ???

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 05:43:05 pm »
I enjoy xbox collecting. In many ways, it seemed like a spiritual successor to the dreamcast. Even the controllers seem like an evolution (especially the 360) from the dreamcast controller. The system is great for collecting. Very cheap and affordable

I think the big issue is it did not have that console feel. This is largely due to the Western design and games. Console games always felt different, largely because console games have largely been Japanese developed. When I pick up an Xbox controller I get more of a feeling of playing the 3DO or Jaguar rather than a playstation or N64. I feel Microsoft got more of a feel for the console market with the 360 as I don't get as much of that feeling with that system.

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 10:26:35 am »
I always thought it was strange that they have stayed relatively cheap over the years. Some of the original Xbox disc drives don't hold up to the test of time and many die each year. Unlike the Dreamcast (which has a drive you can recalibrate) the Xbox drive will just go out completely.

I can boot up the original Xbox (or some of the original games that are backwards compatible on the 360) and they still look amazing for that time period.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01