Author Topic: When do you think they will kill off the PS3 and Xbox 360 totally?  (Read 2067 times)

dreama1

When do you think they will kill off the PS3 and Xbox 360 totally? A side note can anyone imagine a world when the PS3 and xbox 360 is a relic of the past?

Re: When do you think they will kill off the PS3 and Xbox 360 totally?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:56:23 am »
When do you think they will kill off the PS3 and Xbox 360 totally? A side note can anyone imagine a world when the PS3 and xbox 360 is a relic of the past?

It isn't too hard to imagine, I guess it's just a matter of perspective. For me it was once impossible to imagine that the Super Nintendo and Sega Mega Drive/Genesis could be considered a relic of the past, yet here we are :)

I would guess that they will continue selling the Xbox 360 and PS3 for maybe 1-2 years more. I guess production of the actual units will stop before that and then they will just be selling existing stock for a while.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 08:42:44 am »
Depends on what you mean by that. 

If you mean stop production of consoles and games, probably within the next year or two. 

If you mean stores like Best Buy and Gamestop will stop carrying them?  Several years, probably not before 2020.  Especially 360 since backwards compatibility leaves selling 360 games as a viable option.  I don't recall between PS2 and Gamecube which Gamestop stopped selling first.  I mean, quite frankly, I know if you are stubborn enough you can find stores that carry one or the other, with PS2 being easier to find.

soera

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 09:08:36 am »
Its already dead. Unless its a sports game or a game thats geared towards small children, its not coming out on the newer systems.

abe

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:43:27 am »
Many probably already see them as "dead". They'll probably continue to receive software/firmware updates for a little while longer, but there's no particularly significant releases other than some niche Japanese stuff upcoming for either console. They're both on their 3rd major hardware revision and very unlikely to see any more. There's little that can be done to keep them going now, particularly with the Xbone being backwards compatible.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 11:19:34 am »
I imagine sports titles and other easy to cash-in-on games will be produced through 2017 at least.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 12:40:49 pm »
It pretty much is dead. I mean, they are still selling the systems on shelves. But major releases have pretty much stopped on the systems. All you see anymore are some sports titles and crappy movie cash-ins.

kashell

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 12:58:30 pm »
I can't speak for the 360, but Odin Sphere, Guilty Gear and a few more titles are headed to the PS3. Those were off the top of my head.

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 01:04:56 pm »
Persona 5 is still slated to be out for both PS3 and PS4 afaik.

Both systems are already dead imo, seeing how long xb1 and ps4 have been out.  I'm still surprised when I see a game released for both PS3 and PS4 these days. I can see PS3 games from Japan being localized and coming out for PS3 here, but that's about it.

I haven't been keeping up with Microsoft's library as they lost me once the big wave of RPGs for the PS3/4 really hit a few years back.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 03:20:56 pm »
I expect another a year, two at best.  Developers are starting to drop 360/PS3 ports because it can hold back their next gen versions, so once the big guys are done supporting it, others will likely move on.

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 03:51:48 pm »
I don't see the 360 lasting more than another year or two when it comes to new game releases and hardware production. However as for the Ps3...i have no idea...I think it could stick around for at LEAST another 4 or so years when it comes to hardware, new releases will probably cease after next year. That is if it will be anything like the ps2 was.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 04:23:19 pm »
I expect another a year, two at best.  Developers are starting to drop 360/PS3 ports because it can hold back their next gen versions, so once the big guys are done supporting it, others will likely move on.

Yep. Arkham Knight is a perfect example of this, and is what drove me to get my XBox One.

silversyx

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 05:19:42 pm »
Frankly I thought the Wii was dead but I believe a new Just Dance game was released and sold surprisingly well so for all we know PS3 & 360 will be serving a purpose for years to come.

stealthrush

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 08:43:19 pm »

Should have been dead by now.

I believe this year they should be reaching the end. I could imagine them as a relic with overall mediocre games. Although I hope they continue to support online games a bit longer.

davifus

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 09:27:09 pm »
360 is on its death bed. PS3 is surviving with all the niche games coming on it.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)