Author Topic: Ever get nostalgia for a game you never played before?  (Read 2123 times)

dreama1

Ever get nostalgia for a game you never played before?
« on: February 05, 2016, 08:18:02 pm »
Ever get nostalgia for a game you never played before?

stealthrush

Re: Ever get nostalgia for a game you never played before?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 08:39:04 pm »
Can't say I have.

If a particular game has a certain aesthetic that resonates and appeals to me I have never played before, I would be excited, not nostalgic.

baseycillings

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 08:45:32 pm »
Yes. It happens more with games that I maybe played only once or used to rent when I was a kid.
But there are several SNES games I have never played that give me the feels.
I was a Genesis kid.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:55:18 pm by baseycillings »

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 09:11:21 pm »
Yea i get it alot for games i wish i had as a kid. In particular a game "Grabbed by the ghoulies" was a game i  always wanted but never seemed to pick it up. I finally got it last year.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:47:28 pm »
I don't know, were any of you ever the little sibling of a brother or sister who would play really cool looking games, but you never played the games yourself?

My kid brother or nephew probably have that syndrome.  One day they are going to care and ask me, "Hey, do you remember that one game you used to play when I was little?  What was it?"  you know... with more specific information.... hopefully.

baseycillings

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 10:00:07 pm »

My kid brother or nephew probably have that syndrome.  One day they are going to care and ask me, "Hey, do you remember that one game you used to play when I was little?  What was it?"  you know... with more specific information.... hopefully.

My cousin one time asked me "What was that game where you are blue guys and you kill the red guys?"
He was referring to Age of Empires.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 10:25:21 pm »

My cousin one time asked me "What was that game where you are blue guys and you kill the red guys?"
He was referring to Age of Empires.
Yup, what more can you expect... you never let them play the game.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 10:49:44 pm »
Crazy taxi. At my former church. We use to have a dream cast when I was younger. I remember everyone use to play all the time. And always looked fun. I use to be really shy. So I never asked to get a turn. But its on my wish list now. To buy and play
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

romanticore

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 03:17:47 am »
I've never played Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge and Castlevania Legends for the GameBoy, but I imagine I'd feel some sort of nostalgia playing 'em.
Currently Playing:
Chrono Trigger (DS)

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 10:50:53 am »
Chrono Trigger

I didn't start playing JRPGs until the early 2000s and on the PS1, but for some reason this game always seemed so special. Years later when I started collecting I yearned to find this game and play it, as if I had played it before and knew how great it was. I ended up finding it for a great deal (CIB too) and ended up loving it as much as I thought I would, maybe more. It's a top 10 game of all time now.

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 11:04:53 am »
For me, usually 8-bit games can do that. I never played Friday The 13th until a few years ago, but something about the setting, the music, and the graphics in that game makes me feel nostalgic.

dreama1

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 11:36:11 am »
For me, usually 8-bit games can do that. I never played Friday The 13th until a few years ago, but something about the setting, the music, and the graphics in that game makes me feel nostalgic.
 Probably that 80s horror theme that pulled you back.

telly

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 07:46:00 am »
Playing Conker's Bad Fur Day over vacation was somehow nostalgic for me because it reminded me of playing Toy Story 2 on my PC when I was really little. It was very strange!
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 11:16:46 am »
I do as I have fond memories of looking at magazines and catalogs from when I was a kid. Screenshots, advertisements, pictures of boxes, etc. I guess it makes me more nostalgic for those paper items rather than the games themselves.

rayne315

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 11:31:48 am »
EverQuest

My cousin, who at the time was an absolute douchebag, had this game and would always play it in front of me and my brother but would never let us play it. (in fact I distinctly remember once when he went to the bathroom my brother grabbed the controller to play. when my cousin got back he immediately pulled the power cord to the console) I never was able to play it because at the time we never had money for new games and we were never able to find it used, but I basically watched the entire game from beginning to end.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully