Author Topic: Pictures from The Vanamo Online Game Museum  (Read 1974 times)

Pictures from The Vanamo Online Game Museum
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:37:42 am »
I just recently discovered The Vanamo Online Game Museum on Wikipedia which seems to be a great quality source of console pictures (just consoles, no boxes sadly so far) - here's also a twitter to follow for those interested on the project updates - and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to upload these pictures for the hardware in database, and probably stick them up in forum as a good source for pictures to use. They are under public license (that was the aim of the project, they're totally free!) with no additional copyrights attached whatsoever, so they would be better to use than any of the official artwort (which may be copyrighter) without any issues.

Excluding the consoles not released in the US, all of them are most likely an US models (the photographer lives in the US), but I'm not sure if there are any visible differences between the US and other regional models when it comes to the console itself (I'm not talking about firmware/software, internals, limited editions/colors, stickers with model number (which are not visible in the photos), boxes and power plugs/accessories), so maybe they could be used as a photo for the releases from other regions.

If so, would it be wise to replace the current photos when there is a matching color from the Vanamo Online Game Musem? Or are the official photos preferred instead? And should it be used only for NA releases or worldwide?

karyann

Re: Pictures from The Vanamo Online Game Museum
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 03:09:19 pm »
Their pictures do seem very good at first glance!

Replacing current photos is okay if the current photo isn't great (bad lighting, weird color balance, non-clear background). For older systems, it's not really important if the picture is the official one or not, since it's more often than not really hard to have one anyway. The VOGM's pictures could replace those that aren't good enough, as long as they don't have any watermarks either :) But please only change pictures that are worth changing haha. If the current one has a clear white background and great lighting, it's probably good as-is  ;)

As for NA only or worldwide, when you are absolutely certain that the system looks exactly the same, I think it's okay to use it for other regions too. Just make sure that it's the same, and it should be fine!

On a side note, it's very cool that they're doing this.

Re: Pictures from The Vanamo Online Game Museum
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 12:08:30 am »
On a side note, it's very cool that they're doing this.
As far as I know, it's only one person actually (who is both a photographer and a collector/gamer as well), which is even more impressive :). A bit more info about the project was at his kickstarter campaign from 2013.