Author Topic: Description Field Oddity or How I Learned to Stop Clicking and Leave It Alone  (Read 720 times)

Flashback2012

At least I try to anyway.  ;)

I can't be the only person who has this happen to them. I'll be editing an entry like say Panorama Cotton (http://vgcollect.com/item/21852) and then I'll edit another like Strider Hiryu (http://vgcollect.com/item/21587). In both instances I would see that there's text in the Description field. Now I have something of a love/HATE relationship with the dreaded Description field. When doing edits, I used to sometimes put information in like Number of players/levels, Mega count and notations like if a game used password save or had a battery back-up. I figured it would be good pertinent info to have on the listing but alas I quickly realized such info did not conform to the Style Guide for the Description Field and I was met with plenty of rejected edits.  :P

I would argue that the info I was adding could fall under "Trivia" but rather than putting up a fight I opted to acquiesce and decided instead to just largely ignore the Description Field completely except in cases where I would see a blatant violation of the Style Guide which I would then blank out. This brings me back to the two Mega Drive games listed above. In both instances I felt that the information in the Description Field either conformed with the Style Guide (Cotton) or it was too questionable for me to blank out (Strider). In both instances I decided to leave well enough alone and made sure my mouse pointer never came anywhere near the field. Or so I thought.  ;)

I logged in today and saw that I had new Notifications. While perusing them, I noticed a got an approved Edit for Strider Hiryu and a rejected Edit for Panorama Cotton...both for the Description Field.  Derp.  :P At this point I'm curious to know if there is a glitch in the Matrix somewhere that somehow gives me ownership over that information when I submit Edits for the other fields. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of getting dinged for the someone else not filling out the field correctly.  :o

tripredacus

The description field is more for the physical aspects of the game release itself. Additional information that may be needed for someone to properly identify that the game they have is the one we have in the database. From the style guide:

The Description field should be notes about the games packaging variants/ pack ins/ collector's edition details. Or trivia about the games release, such as if it is a launch title, last title, a very limited release,  etc.

Your link to Panorama Cotton shows me Mega Man Wily Wars :\
That info in Strider Hiryu description is not what should be in there. Don't be surprised if that gets posted at some point in the future as a listing error.

pacpix

I logged in today and saw that I had new Notifications. While perusing them, I noticed a got an approved Edit for Strider Hiryu and a rejected Edit for Panorama Cotton...both for the Description Field.  Derp.  :P At this point I'm curious to know if there is a glitch in the Matrix somewhere that somehow gives me ownership over that information when I submit Edits for the other fields. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of getting dinged for the someone else not filling out the field correctly.  :o

I don't know why, but sometimes this happens with the description and box text fields.  My guess is if a user is scrolling on a page and accidentally scrolls or clicks in the description field box it automatically is marked as changed and submitted as an edit even if nothing is actually changed.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)