Author Topic: Does anyone else have no idea how they missed so many classic games as a kid?  (Read 2192 times)

I had a ps1, xbox, and ps2 as a kid. I had no idea that games like Chrono Cross, Final fantasy 7, Ico, Kotor, ninja gaiden just to name a few even existed. I was to buisy playing, Crash, Spyro, Halo, and fable.

aliensstudios

Well, I have an idea now but back then I didn't know, I kind of like discovering things from the past, whether its good games, films, music, anything really.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

desocietas

I was busy playing Chrono Cross, Star Ocean, and Dragon Quest VIII but didn't know anything about Final Fantasy (any of them)!

I only really started to hear about FF when they started to be released on the DS as ports and played FFXII finallly as I started to enjoy more and more RPGs.

Also, I completely missed out on Monster Hunter stuff until a few years ago. Had never heard of them and just assumed maybe that it was a hunting game... like Cabela's Big Game Hunter   ::)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

doafan

Just as aliensstudios I do like to find and acquire those titles specially from the NES that I missed as a child, never heard of Shatterhand, Kick Master or Metalstorm when I was a kiddo, at my time there was not such thing as the Internet, the only way that we can manage to hear about rare titles like these ones where only at the magazines and when we talked with our friends, so as an old man decided to give them a try but the real thing I mean purchase the game and play it at the console cause it's never to late you know to enjoy them, I'm a old school player but that doesn't mean that am gonna spend 300 bucks just for a cartridge  ;)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

It wasn't until I was 16 when I first played Banjo Kazooie.
My dad bought me wrestling and skateboarding games and Donkey Kong.
I was lucky enough to have a dad with a sense of humor who bought Conker's Bad Fur Day based on the toilet humor. Sadly, don't have the box or manual anymore.
I also grew up never playing a single Final Fantasy or Zelda game.

I knew about Final Fantasy VII (and what happened to Aeris) and Chrono Trigger as a kid, but RPGs weren't something I was interested in as a kid. I was always into racing, FPS, and extreme sports games back then. It took until 2015 for me to buy an RPG of any sort.

tripredacus

It isn't games for me per se. It is pinball tables. I have barely any or (perhaps) no real memory of playing pinball games. I have a couple of hazy ones like Pinbot and one other. It is like I never played one of those until 5-6 years ago or so. Its really weird.

I missed Ocarina of Time the first time around. I only played it all the way through when it hit 3DS. Same story with Wind Waker on Wii U. When I was younger I didn't care too much for the 3D Zelda games for some reason.

stealthrush

Castleviana series I missed since I was too busy playing Mario series (also very young).

desocietas

I missed Ocarina of Time the first time around. I only played it all the way through when it hit 3DS. Same story with Wind Waker on Wii U. When I was younger I didn't care too much for the 3D Zelda games for some reason.

I missed out on a lot of Zelda stuff because we went from Nintendo to Genesis and Sony systems.  Tried Wind Waker when I got a Gamecube but it wasn't really my thing.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

Missed out on most of the other 6th generation stuff, since I only had a Gamecube and several games for about 5 years. Thankfully, PS2 and Xbox seem to be relatively inexpensive compared to Gamecube when it comes to game prices still.

spac316

I missed a lot of classics I could have played back when I was a kid. Probably because I didn't have anyway of knowing about them or I wasn't very open minded.

Warmsignal

I've got a pretty good idea how. My parents weren't well off, we didn't really do any odd jobs to earn money, and we had no Internet. We found out about games through cover art and game descriptions at rental stores, and the one-off magazines we would get. We mostly got games for our birthday, and Xmas only. There was no dedicated game store in the area back then, and there was just no way we could have played all of the "classics". Plus games were just one part of being a kid, it wasn't everything that I did.

dashv

PRO Supporter

I've got a pretty good idea how. My parents weren't well off, we didn't really do any odd jobs to earn money, and we had no Internet. We found out about games through cover art and game descriptions at rental stores, and the one-off magazines we would get. We mostly got games for our birthday, and Xmas only. There was no dedicated game store in the area back then, and there was just no way we could have played all of the "classics". Plus games were just one part of being a kid, it wasn't everything that I did.

^this

Although I lived out in no mans land so all I really had for recreation was video games and a swimming pool.

We did have the Internet. But I used Bulletin Board systems on dialup first.

I remember playing some door games at 2600 baud.

Later when we got on the web at 28800 with Netscape navigator we would download shareware from HappyPuppy.com.

Duke Nukem 3D blew my mind and the computer kind of replaced the NES. There was just no comparison between consoles and PCs back then.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:19:42 am by dashv »

sworddude

It's pretty easy to miss classic games as a kid.

At least in my case, I did not actively read game magazines or went to stores that often.

Mainly games like mario and pokemon in combination with the lack of money to spend It's pretty easy to miss out on pretty much everything else.

Zelda was that game that few people had in my neighbourhood I considered that series pretty mediocre since it was no mario, for rpg's you see them from time to time but don't remember them names when you don;t pay attention to much.

I knew most characters only due to smash brothers and considered those games to be bad. Sometimes some awesome games at the arcade like raiden but not the kinda games that you find in a store.
Your Stylish Sword Master!