Author Topic: Premature Creations  (Read 870 times)

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

Premature Creations
« on: February 11, 2016, 04:32:23 am »
Why do some users feel compelled to create a game’s data several months before its actual release and include the unofficial image? Is it a lack of self control? A desire to boost their edit numbers? Maybe that’s why we amass so many ESRB-RP images that end up being overlooked. It also causes confusion, at least for me. I thought I had missed a couple of releases, but as it turns out, they still haven’t released. And those examples were created in VGCollect several months ago! Anyway, after a day of editing, I tend to get a bit cranky, and I was just wondering about this.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:51:00 pm by SilverBow »

Re: Premature Creations
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:10:22 am »
Why do some users feel compelled to create a game’s data several months before its actual release and include the unofficial image? Is it a lack of self control? A desire to boost their edit numbers? Maybe that’s why we amass so many ESRB-RP images that end up being overlooked. It also cause confusion, at least for me. I thought I had missed a couple of releases, but as it turns out, they still haven’t released. And those examples were created in VGCollect several months ago! Anyway, after a day of editing, I tend to get a bit cranky, and I was just wondering about this.
Oh and then games get cancelled, like Shovel Knight physical release for X1.

I never add something to my collection until I have it.  I have been using my "sell" list as a manner of keeping track of things I'm expecting though.  I would consider doing that to help me keep track of my preorders, because I certainly can't remember them all.

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 11:08:11 am »
I've added things before release but I never include the cover art until the official one is unveiled
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:07:09 pm »
I'll add things prior to release and put them on my wishlist to remind me that I either 1) preordered it or 2) want to get it eventually.  Also, sometimes people like to be the first one to create the record.

Personally, I get really excited about a game and want to put up info about it as soon as I can.  If anything, I don't add them to my collection before I actually get it. That's going a step too far for me, like when people leave reviews for games that haven't released yet.

Images are better than nothing, so if it's at least an image that the publisher put out (even with a rating pending), I'll add it and will try to change it later after release or someone else eventually does.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas