Author Topic: New collector looking for info  (Read 2514 times)

rryan60462

New collector looking for info
« on: March 05, 2016, 05:02:03 pm »
As the topic says, I am a new collector. I recently got a new job that has enabled me to finally start collecting. Only problem is, besides ebay, I am finding it hard to find websites or places in general to find games or even info and rare stuff. Any suggestions?

desocietas

Re: New collector looking for info
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:22:44 pm »
Welcome!

I think we're all at different levels of collecting, so no need to be scared!  Some of us do yard sales, estate sales, and finding stuff on the street while others focus on the used bins at department or game stores. Thrift stores are always a good spot as well as pawn shops.  It really depends on where you live.

Outside of brick and mortar, eBay is definitely a big spot for picking up used games online. There's also Gamestop's retro collection nowadays as well as the Amazon marketplace.

In regard to info, this forum is very helpful. Sometimes I find info through GameFAQs or MobyGames or other sites. I'm sure the others have some ideas, too!

And for someone new to collecting, my usual advice is to just start slowly. Pick up some items that you've always been wanting. I started with getting a few items that I remember loving from when I was younger. No need to buy a whole bunch at once - you may end up with buyer's remorse that way. Also, you may find that you'll run out of storage space very quickly  :-[

But, the one good thing about being new to collecting is that you might get a deal by buying a group of games all together. There's often some sort of discount. Those don't often work as well for me because I'm usually just looking for one or two items rather than 10 at a time.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:25:03 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 05:37:09 pm »
Ebay and forums are the only places that I buy games online. IRL is usually thrift shops, flea market, garage sale and then local video game shop and Gamestop.

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 06:20:06 pm »
Ebay and forums are the only places that I buy games online. IRL is usually thrift shops, flea market, garage sale and then local video game shop and Gamestop.

Tripedacus makes a good point - a fair number of my items come from other collectors that I've met through this forum. The nice thing about buying from other collectors is that they usually also care about the condition of the item as much as you do!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 07:11:36 pm »
Happy to have you here! Like desocietas said, we're all at different levels of collecting, and most people here are more than happy to help you out. We were all new collectors at one point, after all. May I ask what sort of games you are hoping to collect? Do you prefer online or offline shopping? You can score some great deals on big sites like Amazon and eBay, but more niche items or imports can be tricky to find if they aren't already at a grotesque mark-up. Craigslist is also an excellent source for newer and older games alike. Don't underestimate garage sales. I've personally never had much luck with my local thrift stores and flea markets, but some users here have the weekend Goodwill hunt down to an artform.

If you're comfortable with it, you can always try out a trade or sale with members here. I've been here for nearly four years and have had nothing but positive experiences. You can post in the Looking For / Help Me Find thread in the Marketplace subforum or create your own "looking for" thread if you're seeking a specific item. Additionally, VGCollect has a built-in feature where users can list things for sale on their collection page. Every item in the database has a "Sell List" tab listing users who are hoping to sell that item. From there, you can send a private message to that person and work out a deal.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

theflea

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 10:52:34 pm »
depends on the kind of collector you are.
With newer games just go buy what you like, or watch for sales. If you just want to relive the past and you know that you only want a small hand full of games then maybe online is a good way to go.

With retro games, while I do buy off Ebay I still try and look for deals. I always go for the "Make Offer" most of the time the seller wont except an offer unless it's only a few dollars off. but you do get those who will counter offer and there are times I get the item at half off their asking price.
Also search for "lots" NES lots, SNES lots etc.. Because your just starting out you can get say 30 games for $40-$50, You won't get anything rare (usually) but it will be cheaper then buying them separately and just starting out you won't get many duplicates.

While online is the easiest way to collect (and most expensive) I personally like "the hunt" for deals. Just go out on a weekend and hit every thrift store, garage sale, flea market, used game store and anywhere else that sells used games and see what you find. Part of the fun of retro collecting is going out and never know what you'll find.

Also know what your buying, if you see a game priced at say $20, look it up and see what it sells for on Ebay sometimes stores over price or sell right at Ebay prices. For me if I see a game and look it up and its at retail or higher I pass. but if its lower then you might wanna buy that game.  ;)

But most of all have fun, its fun just to look around and see what you can find rather then just click on a buy it now ebay. Then you come home and try out your booty and see what you love (or hate) lol

happy game hunting.  :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:58:02 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

rryan60462

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:26:01 am »
Geez i'm glad I found this site, I have already gotten a lot of good feedback on this post and I only posted it a few hours ago haha. I am not to forum savvy, so forgive me for not including quotes and names, but I will try and answer a few questions I read. I am primarily looking to complete my Ps Vita collection first, since Sony has officially stopped supporting it and games are on clearance all over the place. That is my primary goal as of right now. After that, I plan on doing the original xbox and then 360, then moving to the playstations. And yes, i know this is a time consuming hobby, but as long as i dont die, I am in in for the long haul for sure now that i have a job that supports me financially. Thank you all for the separate feedback you have given me as well. I am definitely more pumped up about hitting my markets and thrift stores now haha.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 10:17:22 pm »
Geez i'm glad I found this site, I have already gotten a lot of good feedback on this post and I only posted it a few hours ago haha. I am not to forum savvy, so forgive me for not including quotes and names, but I will try and answer a few questions I read. I am primarily looking to complete my Ps Vita collection first, since Sony has officially stopped supporting it and games are on clearance all over the place. That is my primary goal as of right now. After that, I plan on doing the original xbox and then 360, then moving to the playstations. And yes, i know this is a time consuming hobby, but as long as i dont die, I am in in for the long haul for sure now that i have a job that supports me financially. Thank you all for the separate feedback you have given me as well. I am definitely more pumped up about hitting my markets and thrift stores now haha.

You're already off the a good start. You have a plan.  That's important.  I'd suggest making a wishlist on VGCollect.  That'll help when your out and about.

Don't go nuts and buy everything.  You'll burn out.  Just take it easy and buy stuff as you find good deals.  If you just go to eBay and "Buy it now" on everything, the thrill will be gone. 

Good luck on your quest.  It's a lot of fun.

rryan60462

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 08:30:21 pm »

yes i know, i am getting my refund in a few days and i have a rather large checkout cart waiting on gamestops clearance section. That is the only large investment i plan on making as of right now. After that is purchased, the wife and i plan on making saturdays thrift store, swap meet, and flea market days.
You're already off the a good start. You have a plan.  That's important.  I'd suggest making a wishlist on VGCollect.  That'll help when your out and about.

Don't go nuts and buy everything.  You'll burn out.  Just take it easy and buy stuff as you find good deals.  If you just go to eBay and "Buy it now" on everything, the thrill will be gone. 

Good luck on your quest.  It's a lot of fun.

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 09:10:31 pm »

yes i know, i am getting my refund in a few days and i have a rather large checkout cart waiting on gamestops clearance section. That is the only large investment i plan on making as of right now. After that is purchased, the wife and i plan on making saturdays thrift store, swap meet, and flea market days.

Hopefully she's into games and/or collecting as much as you will be :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

rryan60462

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 09:33:13 pm »

Hopefully she's into games and/or collecting as much as you will be :)
i got pretty lucky with my wife. She is into whatever makes me happy and vice versa.

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 09:34:05 pm »

i got pretty lucky with my wife. She is into whatever makes me happy and vice versa.

Awesome!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 12:01:32 pm »
Welcome to the party ;D

To add my two cents on the ebay topic, your location and the type of games you're collecting is a central factor.

For instance in my case I'm collecting mainly NTSC region games from 4~6th gen consoles and since I live in Europe it's nearly impossible to find anything in a flea market or in any gaming store, I would need travel to Japan/U.S. if I wanted to have any chance.. So I get most of my stuff on the bay, at the exception of NGC and Wii that are the only consoles that I will keep PAL due to high 60Hz support in PAL region for those machines.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 02:35:41 pm »
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet:

See if there are any local social media (IE Facebook) groups dedicated to buying and selling (Yard Sale Groups, Swap Meet Groups, etc).  I've managed to get most of the deals I've gotten over the last year via local Yard Sale group (36 NES games for $40, Mega Man X 1 and 2, 7th Saga and a SNES for $100).  It can be a bit competitive depending on the members, and you'll have some resellers or people asking a bit too much occasionally, but I find it is generally the cheapest way to find titles online.

It can also help get heads up on local physical sales and flea markets.

desocietas

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 04:48:35 pm »
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet:

See if there are any local social media (IE Facebook) groups dedicated to buying and selling (Yard Sale Groups, Swap Meet Groups, etc).  I've managed to get most of the deals I've gotten over the last year via local Yard Sale group (36 NES games for $40, Mega Man X 1 and 2, 7th Saga and a SNES for $100).  It can be a bit competitive depending on the members, and you'll have some resellers or people asking a bit too much occasionally, but I find it is generally the cheapest way to find titles online.

It can also help get heads up on local physical sales and flea markets.

True, some people on this forum have gotten good sales through FB or other social media groups. I haven't given it a try yet, and it of course depends on where you live, but you never know!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas