Author Topic: What is the optimal tempature to store games?  (Read 5467 times)

What is the optimal tempature to store games?
« on: April 27, 2016, 01:16:40 am »
I really want to start focusing more on preserving my games as best as possible. I am going to pick up some UV case protectors for all my boxes and Cases. I don't want sun fading or aging to occur.  What is a good tempature to have them in? I was assuming 65 degrees. Not too cold, not warm, just cool and comfy. I assume heat is the bad thing, and too cold can cause condensation. Also how do you maintain the exact tempature consistently? Do you need a central cooling/heating unit or can you maintain it with a normal A/C or fans. Thanks for any ideas.

Re: What is the optimal tempature to store games?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 08:19:04 am »
I store my stuff inside of my house, where I keep the temperature consistently between 65-80 at all times of the year.

I also try my best to keep my stuff in a location that is void of direct sunlight.

kashell

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 08:21:52 am »
I just keep my stuff in my game room. Well, the housing plan labeled it as a "bonus room" but I call it the game room because that's where my game stuff gets organized in a aesthetically pleasing manner.

I digress.

As long as it's away from direct sunlight and not at risk of getting damaged by water, everything will be fine.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:06:14 am »
Put your games in an airtight container full of inert gas; preferably a vacuum. Then place that container in a fallout shelter at least 20 feet underground to ensure survival from firebombing and thermonuclear weapons. Keep a maintained temperature of 60-70 degrees fahrenheit within the habitat. Build your fallout-video-game-shelter somewhere with very low humidity. Somewhere like Nevada, Arizona, Colorado should do fine.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:43:48 pm by badATchaos »

gf78

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:35:43 am »
LOL at some of these replies!   :P

Realistically, keep them out of direct sunlight and away from high humidity/moisture.  Most homes that regulate their temperature are just fine.  For cardboard boxed games, those custom archival boxes are great for keeping dust out as well as preventing accidental "crushing."

The real conundrum comes when you consider sealed games.  Modern games that are packaged in plastic cases aren't as much a concern as cardboard box games.  The plastic cellophane wrap that games are sealed with is a cheap plastic that degrades over time.  In addition, plastics contain acid that can damage paper over time.  That's why comic collectors have to change out their comic bags every few years.  But I wouldn't be too concerned about this.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 01:51:36 pm »
Put your games in an airtight container full of inert gas; preferably a vacuum. Then place that container in a fallout shelter at least 20 feet underground to ensure survival from firebombing and thermonuclear weapons. Keep a maintained temperature of 60-70 degrees fahrenheit within the habitat. Build your fallout-video-game-shelter somewhere with very low humidity. Somewhere like Nevada, Arizona, Colorado should do fine.

If it's an airtight container or vacuum, do we need to worry about atmospheric moisture?

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 07:43:39 pm »
The atmospheric moisture may damage the case its self.   ;)

soera

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 08:02:31 pm »
Optional temperature - somewhere between Captain America's former ice grave and the 7 pits of hell.

In other words: if you are okay there so are the games.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:47:42 pm »
In all seriousness though: humility, altitude, and ultra violet will have more of an effect than temperature. Unless it's below freezing, or above 90F you don't have much to worry about.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:12:26 pm by badATchaos »

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 09:03:00 pm »
My games are always in 65 to 70 degrees. I keep the air conditioner on.

Badges

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 10:36:48 pm »
I have a few discolored GameCube game spines from childhood and I wish I'd have kept them in better shape. Now I just keep the collection out of sunlight and in a room that never gets colder than 60 degrees and no warmer than 78 degrees. I'm sure my collection will outlive me.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 10:13:43 am »
The best way to preserve them is to dip them in Epoxy.   :P

gf78

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 10:18:56 am »
In all seriousness though: humility, altitude, and ultra violet will have more of an effect than temperature. Unless it's below freezing, or above 90F you don't have much to worry about.

Humility....LOL.   :P  In all seriousness though, this is about it.  I would say keep them away from temps in the low 40's as well because of condensation.  Your average air conditioned & heated house will provide a suitable environment for your games to last longer than you.  Just keep them out of the sunlight as well. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:23:27 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 11:12:36 am »
Jeez you guys

As long as you don't store your games in a bad isolated room like a (usually) garage or a Hatch you should be fine or some seperate building wich does not have a heating system.

If you just store your games in a normal room you should be fine. I would recommend to keep it in a room far from the dining room or kitchen though.

If you store your games in the garage, a seperate extra building without heating or a hatch your just asking for it.

Keeping it out of direct sunlight is also a must but Regular non sun light is no problem at all.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:18:08 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

gf78

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 12:05:20 pm »
Jeez you guys

As long as you don't store your games in a bad isolated room like a (usually) garage or a Hatch you should be fine or some seperate building wich does not have a heating system.

If you just store your games in a normal room you should be fine. I would recommend to keep it in a room far from the dining room or kitchen though.

If you store your games in the garage, a seperate extra building without heating or a hatch your just asking for it.

Keeping it out of direct sunlight is also a must but Regular non sun light is no problem at all.

Some people just want to feel safe.