Author Topic: Best way to buffer out PS3 scratches?  (Read 4043 times)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Best way to buffer out PS3 scratches?
« on: April 28, 2016, 02:30:09 pm »
I recently got a game with two minor scratches but enough to bother me. Especially since it's on a game that is known to be a bit buggy. Is there any safe way to resurface a Bluray disc? No ridiculous toothpaste or banana tricks, please.

Badges

rayne315

Re: Best way to buffer out PS3 scratches?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:37:16 pm »
yeah. whenever I have a disc that's too scratched up I go to my local used gaming store and ask if they can buff my discs. it may cost wherever you are but I get free disc buffing because I am a regular at my store. alternatively if their are any remaining video rental stores around you; they have disc buffers and may buff your disc for you.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 03:19:06 pm »
Will resurfacing cause any problems to the disc in the future?

Badges

gf78

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:40:15 pm »

Resurfacing removes a thin layer of disc coating.  Basically it doesn't remove scratches so much as grind the outer layer down so the scratches are no longer there.  Blu-Ray discs have a clear-coat applied after the data is recorded.  Unless it's a severe scratch, I wouldn't mess with it.

Getting a disc resurfaced once shouldn't be a problem.  It's when it is done more than once that you could possibly damage the data area.  I don't know what pressure is applied to the disc in the resurfacing machine.  Again, I avoid any excess flexing of discs as I don't want to allow any contamination to the sensitive data inside.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

rayne315

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 04:04:43 pm »

nope. as gf stated it removes a small layer so don't buff them often. realistically the only time they should ever be buffed is when they stop working properly.

I'm in the research mood and so I looked up how many times a disc can be resurfaced and apparently the answer is ~50 time before the data layer is reached. (all dependent on how deep the scratches are each buff) although not all systems can effectively hold a disc while spinning when it has less of a surface area to grab (disc hole) great example being ps2 which I Guestimate to be around 15 buffs before it can no longer spin the disc.

I actually have an example I was given once. it is ~half the thickness of a normal disc and audibly spun out of the clips when played but when I taped the edges to increase the thickness it worked like a charm
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:15:56 pm by rayne315 »

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 04:07:26 pm »
The seller said he played the entire game and it was fine, even gave me a partial refund. I'll post a photo of the scratch soon. He said it may have gotten scratched from loading? Just  want to make sure it won't cause problems years from now.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:09:30 pm by mrfoxhound »

Badges

gf78

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:13:55 pm »
The seller said he played the entire game and it was fine, even gave me a partial refund. I'll post a photo of the scratch soon. He said it may have gotten scratched from loading? Just  want to make sure it won't cause problems years from now.

It takes a lot to scratch a PS3 disc. Where wiping a cd or DVD with a cloth will scratch them, it has no affect on a Blu-Ray.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

rayne315

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 05:20:34 pm »

It takes a lot to scratch a PS3 disc. Where wiping a cd or DVD with a cloth will scratch them, it has no affect on a Blu-Ray.

Blu-ray actually has an additional layer on bottom that is harder just to make it more scratch resistant and likely he is right that it will play through unless the "scratches" are really gouges almost through to the data layer

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 05:34:23 pm »
Thanks for the info. I figured scratches might deepen or get bigger over time. Kinda like the disc rot boogeyman collectors fear.

Badges

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 05:40:42 pm »
Double post - here's a photo for you to decide: http://i.imgur.com/mKFlP3Ih.jpg

Badges

rayne315

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 05:48:15 pm »
now that is a scratch. yeah I would want that gone too.

obviously you made sure it works already.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 05:50:01 pm »
I was hoping you guys would say it isn't a big deal, lol. Comfort me. I guess I'll have to look for a video store that resurfaces. That's like finding a dinosaur fossil these days.

Badges

rayne315

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 06:05:46 pm »
I was hoping you guys would say it isn't a big deal, lol. Comfort me. I guess I'll have to look for a video store that resurfaces. That's like finding a dinosaur fossil these days.

If the disc works don't worry about it. im just saying out of personal taste (I like either no scratches on a disc or a bunch of scratches, not just a single/few scratches). so long as you don't stress the disc the scratch will not expand.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:07:39 pm by rayne315 »

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 06:07:59 pm »

If the disc works don't worry about it. im just saying out of personal taste. so long as you don't stress the disc the scratch will not expand.
Even though it works, it still bothers me. I'm going to go on a video store hunt probably tomorrow to see if someone can resurface it.

Update: After doing some research, I found that resurfacing blurays aren't the best idea. I decided to drop extra cash for a mint disc. The shit I do to ease my ridiculous collector OCD.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:10:27 pm by mrfoxhound »

Badges

gf78

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 08:08:24 pm »

If the disc works don't worry about it. im just saying out of personal taste. so long as you don't stress the disc the scratch will not expand.
Even though it works, it still bothers me. I'm going to go on a video store hunt probably tomorrow to see if someone can resurface it.

Update: After doing some research, I found that resurfacing blurays aren't the best idea. I decided to drop extra cash for a mint disc. The shit I do to ease my ridiculous collector OCD.

Ah. Don't sweat it. I was just as ocd before I had kids. You kinda learn then that keeping something mint isn't so important when you have two little engines of destruction who also double as puke & shit machines in the middle of the night when you are trying to get some shuteye before you have to get up at the but rack of dawn, to go to work and spend the money you used to have for games on kids clothes, school supplies and other stuff the kids need.

Btw...that is a particularly ugly scratch. It would bug me too. It wasn't normal use that did that.