Author Topic: Blue Sega Game Gear  (Read 7608 times)

Blue Sega Game Gear
« on: March 08, 2012, 03:56:54 pm »
I really want to get one of these, but i don't know much about them.  I'm watching a couple on ebay they seem to go for an ok price, just more rare than the regular black ones.  Does anyone know the background on the blue ones?  It looks like there were light blue ones that were only available in Japan or something, and then dark blue ones that appear to have been released here though I never saw them in person.

Looking to start a game gear collection again as it was one of the more fun handhelds I ever played growing up.

Edited to correct shite grammar.

jobocan

Re: Blue Sega Game Gear
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:23:15 pm »
Quick research tells me that there are 2 blue game gears.

There's a japanese blue Game Gear: http://segaretro.org/images/7/7b/GG_Blue_JP_1.jpg ... It was a standard release in japan, though definitely a bit rarer than the standard black ones.
And there's an american blue Game Gear: http://segaretro.org/images/8/88/GameGear_Blue_US.jpg ... It was called the "Sports edition" and came with World Series Baseball. It's a lot rarer than the black Game Gear.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:32:06 pm »
they are both pretty sweet looking...might have to get both eventually...interesting that the sports edition is supposed to come with that game, but the one's i've seen on ebay at least from memory don't include that game but include a bunch of others.  

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 06:06:35 pm »
There is also a Red and a White variant (JP only)... I'm 99% sure the US versions only came in Black and Blue.

soera

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:20:38 pm »
The red and white one is a coca cola one. And yeah its Japan only. The blue one doesnt seem to sell for anymore than the black one that I noticed, just doesnt seem to pop up as much.

jcalder8

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:19:34 pm »
If I were to go after a Game Gear it's the Coca Cola one that I would be most interested in but I think the blue one looks better than the black.

jobocan

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:30:46 pm »
The red and white one is a coca cola one. And yeah its Japan only. The blue one doesnt seem to sell for anymore than the black one that I noticed, just doesnt seem to pop up as much.

Actually there were a bunch of different game gears in japan. There was a red one that was a standard release, a yellow one that was also a standard release, a white one that was a super-limited edition that was only given to developers (it included a white TV tuner), a red one that was a Magical Knight Rayearth special edition and a black Virtua Fighter special edition... It's pretty crazy.

darko

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:09:28 pm »
I just want any GG that freaking works!

I actually had the blue one as a kid. I took it back for some reason shortly after getting it. I'm pretty sure that it didn't come with a sports game. The only two games I had for it (for about the week I owned it) were Sonic and The Lion King.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 09:38:58 pm »
The Blue Game Gear came with a copy of The Lion King. It may have also came with World Series Baseball, but I believe the majority came with The Lion King.

killerchameleon

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 05:08:18 am »
I like my Game Gears like I like my……my coffee, no wait I don’t drink coffee.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:00:23 am »
after seeing all of the colors available i was gonna get a yellow one on ebay for 55 (a buy it now) but I was at work...someone beat me to it, only see one on amazon for 350 now...the coke one is pretty cool, the virtua fighter one is nice, i saw one of those on ebay i believe.

killerchameleon

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 03:26:27 pm »
I would love to find one like this.

Photobucket

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 08:12:07 pm »
I ended up scoring a red game gear for under 100 on ebay.  I saw one with it's box going for 533 or something like that...I like playing my games so for me, a box isn't worth 433 dollars ha...

matt

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 10:31:00 pm »