Author Topic: Should i get Windwaker HD or Hyrule Warriors first?  (Read 1345 times)

Should i get Windwaker HD or Hyrule Warriors first?
« on: April 30, 2016, 02:05:29 am »
WindWaker is my favorite Zelda ever but hyrule warriors looks like a blast. Any recommendations?

Re: Should i get Windwaker HD or Hyrule Warriors first?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 02:08:07 am »
I'd recommend Hyrule Warriors just as something new.  Personally Wind Waker ranks low for me of the 3D Zeldas and that was kinda confirmed after beating the HD version lol

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 02:55:00 am »
Wind Wakar HD. Hyrule Warriors is very repetitive and gets old fast.

Badges

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 03:00:53 am »

True, it can be, but I guess it sorta depends on ones mindset.  I thought Wind Waker was actually pretty boring with the ocean setting.  It's tedious traveling around, even with the speed enhancement.  Hyrule Warriors can get repetitive, but the action is always visually very exciting and it's great having all sorts of characters and weapons to play around with.  I have like 100 hours in it lol

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:12:16 am »

True, it can be, but I guess it sorta depends on ones mindset.  I thought Wind Waker was actually pretty boring with the ocean setting.  It's tedious traveling around, even with the speed enhancement.  Hyrule Warriors can get repetitive, but the action is always visually very exciting and it's great having all sorts of characters and weapons to play around with.  I have like 100 hours in it lol
Wind Waker was a game I didn't like when I first got it as a kid because it wasn't like OOT/MM but after playing it, it quickly became one of my favorite Zelda games. I'd say it's my third or fourth favorite. I think the cell-shaded look and the music is one of a kind. Puts me in a good mood. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. As for Hyrule Warriors, fighting hundreds of enemies is fun for me for the first 15 or so minutes then it's like meh. Had it for Wii U then got it for 3DS. I'd say it's better on a handheld for quick sessions but trying to play in large amounts of time. I can't.

Badges

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 03:33:13 am »
i haven't played the HD version at all, but I'm in the middle of the GC version of Windwaker right now.. its my first time playing it and I really enjoy it. I like the fact that it is simultaneously predictable and unpredictable. The core zelda components are there but the story/setting is so off lol plus its sunny and pretty and just good fun.
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 03:35:21 am »

Wind Waker was a game I didn't like when I first got it as a kid because it wasn't like OOT/MM but after playing it, it quickly became one of my favorite Zelda games. I'd say it's my third or fourth favorite. I think the cell-shaded look and the music is one of a kind. Puts me in a good mood. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. As for Hyrule Warriors, fighting hundreds of enemies is fun for me for the first 15 or so minutes then it's like meh. Had it for Wii U then got it for 3DS. I'd say it's better on a handheld for quick sessions but trying to play in large amounts of time. I can't.

That was also my initial impression to with the game when it came out, but after replaying it, I still don't think it's super great.  Visually it's real nice and Ganon is kinda cool since he's not just straight up pure evil in this...sorta, he's abit more classy, and that was neat.  I don't have a scale for all Zelda games, but right now for 3D Zelda's, it might be near the bottom for me.  I might even put Majora's Mask above it, mostly because that game is so much more interesting and dark and weird, even if I hate the time mechanic with a passion.  The more I think about it, it might even be at the bottom of 3D ones as Skyward Sword visually looks pretty great, kinda similar bright colors, has way more interesting characters and plot I think, even though it has some strong negatives like it's world setup, the motion controls, and Fi's annoyance.  Might have to think on that actually.  I want the idea of Skyward Sword HD coming out to fill the gap of the delayed new Zelda to be a real thing lol I know they can't get rid of the motion controls, but it would be nice lol
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:37:07 am by kamikazekeeg »

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 03:36:16 am »
i haven't played the HD version at all, but I'm in the middle of the GC version of Windwaker right now.. its my first time playing it and I really enjoy it. I like the fact that it is simultaneously predictable and unpredictable. The core zelda components are there but the story/setting is so off lol plus its sunny and pretty and just good fun.
You should have started with the HD version, lots of great improvements. Looks really good.

Badges

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 03:39:30 am »

That was also my initial impression to with the game when it came out, but after replaying it, I still don't think it's super great.  Visually it's real nice and Ganon is kinda cool since he's not just straight up pure evil in this...sorta, he's abit more classy, and that was neat.  I don't have a scale for all Zelda games, but right now for 3D Zelda's, it might be near the bottom for me.  I might even put Majora's Mask above it, mostly because that game is so much more interesting and dark and weird, even if I hate the time mechanic with a passion.  The more I think about it, it might even be at the bottom of 3D ones as Skyward Sword visually looks pretty great, kinda similar bright colors, has way more interesting characters and plot I think, even though it has some strong negatives like it's world setup, the motion controls, and Fi's annoyance.  Might have to think on that actually.
We may be complete opposites. Majora's Mask is probably my favorite Zelda game next to OOT. Skyward is probably my least favorite. I guess to each their own. I'd elaborate more but I don't want to hijack this thread and go off topic by discussing what Zelda games we enjoy most.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:41:23 am by mrfoxhound »

Badges

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 03:41:27 am »
You should have started with the HD version, lots of great improvements. Looks really good.

I thought about it... but if I play the original first and i like it (or think its just OK), then I have something else to play later in the HD. If i play the HD first and like (or dislike it) I don't think i would necessarily have any reason to backtrack.

but thats not perfect logic, I know...
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 05:05:46 am »
Get Windwaker.

Hyrule Warriors is pretty average. Tbf all them types of games are; fun for a while but they get old quick.

Also Zelda games tend to hike in price over time. I'd imagine Windwaker is still $50 or so but wouldn't be surprised to see it at $60 or $70 in time.

indenton

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 11:08:56 am »
Concerning gameplay, these are 2 drastically different games.  If you really love Wind Waker like you say, I would look up the changes they've made and think about if that would interest you to play through it again.  You can't really compare these games since they're very different genres, just ask yourself what you're in the mood for, 'A grand adventure - remastered' or 'one-man army action with a Zelda flare'.  Which one of these games would provide more variety in your back-catalog. 

I literally just bought the HD version and have been enjoying it a lot, it's looking all glossy and new, it's just as puzzle intensive as other 3D Zeldas, not to mentioned it uses the GamePad competently, it has a better overworld than Ocarina of Time, well in my opinion
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:17:46 am by indenton »

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 06:43:36 am »
Thanks everyone for the opinions  :D.  I ended up choosing WindWaker HD first.  it sold out everywhere near where I live.  and I got lucky to find it for a great price locally still sealed so I ordered it while I could. Seems like its getting hard to get fast. Hyrule is still in stock at the Walmart near me so I will most likely get Hyrule next week too. Although twilight princess hd is speaking to me.  So many options lol.