Author Topic: So can we all pretty much agree that the Wii U is dead  (Read 2526 times)

So can we all pretty much agree that the Wii U is dead
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:49:01 am »
With the recent release of Star Fox Zero, Nintendo has almost nothing on the horizon in terms of first or third party releases. I went on Amazon to see what games are in the pipeline and there are 0 first party games coming out this year, and 8-total, the standouts being Might No. 9 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. All the way in 2017 we will get Zelda U and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (for those of us who funded the Kickstarter), the former which will likely be available as a launch title on the NX as well. My point is, there is little future for the Wii U and the console will pretty much remain dormant until Nintendo officially pulls the plug on production which I can see happening shortly after the NX comes out.

Don't get me wrong, I am not hating on the Wii U. In fact, it will quite possibly go down as my second favorite Nintendo console of all time. I feel like it was wildly underappreciated and apart from being commercially flawed, it has an incredibly good lineup of first and third party games. It's hard for me not to make parallels between it and the Dreamcast in terms of quality and it's ill-fated reception by the general public.

So what do you think? Do you think Nintendo has anything else up its sleeve that will breath some much needed life into the Wii U before it fizzles out for good, or can we conclude that Nintendo is pouring 100% of their first party resources into the NX? Your thoughts.

krelyan

PRO Supporter

Re: So can we all pretty much agree that the Wii U is dead
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:56:35 am »
I was a little surprised to see them push Zelda to 2017 as that leaves them without a big game for the holiday season.  Even though they say the NX won't replace the WiiU/3DS, I don't see how their actions relay that same message.  Off the top of my head I'm not aware of any other first party games they have in development other than a new Paper Mario game and a new Pokemon so I would have to imagine its full steam ahead on the NX.  I'll probably pick up SMTxFE but that's about it for the WiiU this year.  The 3DS fares a little better with the more robust 3rd party support but looks like it's headed for the same fate. :-/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:07:55 am by krelyan »

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

indenton

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 11:49:07 am »
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem was one of the games that I bought the Wii U for.  Paper Mario Colour Splash was also coming too.  So once that's out, silence.  Bless its little heart, it still had some great games. But once we get some concrete info on the NX (provided it isn't a disaster) I feel the Wii U will be left to the wolves

Are we counting indie multi-platform games?  Does anybody even care about Mighty No. 9 anymore? 

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 12:01:13 pm »
I am so glad they are making the new Zelda for both consoles rather than just NX. That gives wii u owners one last shot of happiness until wii u fades. For the most part I think Nintendo is probably putting all their first party heat like Galaxy 3 and Kirby and all those awaited hitters into NX. I have a feeling Nintendo is going to hit a homerun with NX right out of the gate. Im hoping for a Metroid Prime, maybe a new PunchOut. Some big titles.  It feels so good already  :D.  I have a feeling they might make Orcarina and Majora's Mask HDs for Wii U or maybe NX soon like they did with Twilight Princess and WindWaker.   Maybe that is just my dreams trying to manifest into reality though lol.  I just hope they integrate some of the ideas wii u introduced, I think the portable game pad controller was amazing. I just wish it had longer range. If they could make the Pad fully portable and able to play the games on the pad anywhere like the car or outside that would be amazing. I agree that Wii U is so under appreciated. it really was one of the best Nintendo consoles. Mario Kart 8 is probably my favorite Mario Kart ever, Smash Wii U improved on everything Melee or Brawl brought ten fold. 3d world was revolutionary. Mario Maker was brilliant, Hyrule Warriors was something different for Zelda. So many innovative games. It was an incredible console. I will always find myself playing its games for sure.

indenton

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 12:29:50 pm »
I have a feeling they might make Orcarina and Majora's Mask HDs for Wii U or maybe NX soon like they did with Twilight Princess and WindWaker.   Maybe that is just my dreams trying to manifest into reality though lol. 

Well the next one in line is Skyward Sword, the one with motion controls. Uh-oh! Did I just jinx the NX?

Anyway an actual Animal Crossing game for this infernal contraption would be nice

spac316

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 01:43:20 pm »
Yeah, I'm not afraid to admit that it failed. But I'm happy with it and I never regretted my purchase. It has a solid line up of exclusives and it's a shame that it never lived up to it's full potential.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 02:15:54 pm »
Firstly if Bloodstained releases on Wii U I will eat my hat. I don't care what the kickstarter promised. The backers who opted for Wii-U will be offered their money back or the game for another platform. They won't pay licensing etc to produce copies for the Wii-U.

I only bought my Wii-U 6 months ago but I kind of expected this was happening; however that didn't phase me. I wanted Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros to play with friends. That's all I really need on a Nintendo platform. i do own some exclusive RPGs and Zelda titles though; may as well if I own the platform.

I'm not sure a console really ever 'dies'. Sure commercial releases dry up; however a console is alive as it's community is. People still make homebrew games for console that are older than I am. People still play Smash Bros Melee on the Gamecube at tournaments, that system came out nearly 15 years ago. As long as I still play Smash with my friends, the Wii-U won't die :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 03:32:41 pm by kmacdw »

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 02:18:27 pm »
I am so glad they are making the new Zelda for both consoles rather than just NX. That gives wii u owners one last shot of happiness until wii u fades. For the most part I think Nintendo is probably putting all their first party heat like Galaxy 3 and Kirby and all those awaited hitters into NX. I have a feeling Nintendo is going to hit a homerun with NX right out of the gate. Im hoping for a Metroid Prime, maybe a new PunchOut. Some big titles.  It feels so good already  :D.  I have a feeling they might make Orcarina and Majora's Mask HDs for Wii U or maybe NX soon like they did with Twilight Princess and WindWaker.   Maybe that is just my dreams trying to manifest into reality though lol.  I just hope they integrate some of the ideas wii u introduced, I think the portable game pad controller was amazing. I just wish it had longer range. If they could make the Pad fully portable and able to play the games on the pad anywhere like the car or outside that would be amazing. I agree that Wii U is so under appreciated. it really was one of the best Nintendo consoles. Mario Kart 8 is probably my favorite Mario Kart ever, Smash Wii U improved on everything Melee or Brawl brought ten fold. 3d world was revolutionary. Mario Maker was brilliant, Hyrule Warriors was something different for Zelda. So many innovative games. It was an incredible console. I will always find myself playing its games for sure.
I can't see Ocarina or Majora's coming to Wii-U or NX; not as HD remakes anyways; virtual console perhaps. They chose to release them on 3DS for a reason. It'd be difficult for them to make worthwhile changes to Nintendo 64 games in terms of a HD remake.

Skyward Sword will certainly come to NX though; especially as releasing it on a dying Wii and not the Wii-U was such a misstep.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 03:11:15 pm »
Firstly if Bloodstained releases on Wii U I will eat my hate. I don't care what the kickstarter promised. The backers who opted for Wii-U will be offered their money back or the game for another platform. They won't pay licensing etc to produce copies for the Wii-U.

I only bought my Wii-U 6 months ago but I kind of expected this was happening; however that didn't phase me. I wanted Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros to play with friends. That's all I really need on a Nintendo platform. i do own some exclusive RPGs and Zelda titles though; may as well if I own the platform.

I'm not sure a console really ever 'dies'. Sure commercial releases dry up; however a console is alive as it's community is. People still make homebrew games for console that are older than I am. People still play Smash Bros Melee on the Gamecube at tournaments, that system came out nearly 15 years ago. As long as I still play Smash with my friends, the Wii-U won't die :)

Considering a lot of people, myself included, made the decision to back the project based solely on the Wii U port stretch goal, I'd be shocked if they backed out and alienated the thousands of people who were behind it simply for the Wii U support. Same goes for the Vita port.

And I agree with you that no console truly ever dies as long as people have an interest in owning it and playing the games for it, but what I meant is dead in the sense that the manufacturer(Nintendo), no longer is supporting it or promoting it. I guess for it to truly be dead, they'd also have to stop producing it, which they might as well given the circumstances.

abe

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 03:16:02 pm »
Firstly if Bloodstained releases on Wii U I will eat my hate. I don't care what the kickstarter promised. The backers who opted for Wii-U will be offered their money back or the game for another platform. They won't pay licensing etc to produce copies for the Wii-U.
Considering a lot of people, myself included, made the decision to back the project based solely on the Wii U port stretch goal, I'd be shocked if they backed out and alienated the thousands of people who were behind it simply for the Wii U support. Same goes for the Vita port.

I hope they deliver their promises. I backed Bloodstained for a physical copy of the Vita version. :(
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 03:23:10 pm »

I hope they deliver their promises. I backed Bloodstained for a physical copy of the Vita version. :(

I can't see them backing out given the level of support they received in light of supporting these platforms. I also have the PS4 port ordered as well, but I'll still be pretty upset if the Wii U port does end up getting canned.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 03:32:06 pm »

And I agree with you that no console truly ever dies as long as people have an interest in owning it and playing the games for it, but what I meant is dead in the sense that the manufacturer(Nintendo), no longer is supporting it or promoting it. I guess for it to truly be dead, they'd also have to stop producing it, which they might as well given the circumstances.
The Vita version will release as the system is still quite popular back in Japan. However as I said I will be shocked if Bloodstained releases for Wii-U.

And I really hope if I'm right, people don't make a big deal out of it. People should understand how it is; yes it's a shame if you don't get your game but the vast majority of those people will also own another console on which they can get the game. They have to understand that releasing the game for the Wii U would likely be more trouble to them than it's worth.

Anyways this game is a spiritual successor to a PlayStation game; you all owe it to yourself to buy it on a PlayStation platform. or else Symphony of the Night will be turning in it's grave :P

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 05:15:59 pm »
Yup, for all intent and purposes, I would say so.  It was expected to happen with the NX, I just didn't think it would go out with a whimper.  I'm not disappointed in the system, I think it's done better for me than the PS4 so far in terms of exclusives by a large margin.  I don't even have plans to get Paper Mario, though I might get Tokyo Mirage Sessions.  Kinda wanting a good JRPG after Xenoblade Chronicles X fizzled out on me.  I wouldn't count indie titles towards it either as they aren't ever really very big sellers.

I could also see Bloodstained on the Wii U if it's easy enough for them to port it to the NX.  The Wii U may be dead, but it still has a user base of millions.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 05:30:02 pm »
Yup, for all intent and purposes, I would say so.  It was expected to happen with the NX, I just didn't think it would go out with a whimper.  I'm not disappointed in the system, I think it's done better for me than the PS4 so far in terms of exclusives by a large margin.  I don't even have plans to get Paper Mario, though I might get Tokyo Mirage Sessions.  Kinda wanting a good JRPG after Xenoblade Chronicles X fizzled out on me.  I wouldn't count indie titles towards it either as they aren't ever really very big sellers.

I could also see Bloodstained on the Wii U if it's easy enough for them to port it to the NX.  The Wii U may be dead, but it still has a user base of millions.
Wouldn't be hard to beat the PS4 for exclusives. The PS4 has the worst exclusives of the three systems by far in terms of true exclusives.

Its pretty much just Bloodborne.

Infamous: Second Son is a decent title but it's the weakest in the series and not worth owning a console for.

The Uncharted Collection and The Last of Us are fantastic but again they're on PS3, so they don't really count.

However despite this PS4 is still king. Which sort of flies in the face of the suggestion that exclusives are what matters.

I am optimistic that PS4 can come to the top in terms of exclusives over time; Uncharted 4, Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian,. Persona 5, I Am Setsuna and Star Ocean V So the future does look bright. Then again if you're not an RPG fan that list is quickly chopped in half.

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 06:40:35 pm »
Paper Mario Color Splash might make it out before the end of the year, love the Paper Mario games. Could be why they've chosen to push Zelda back a bit.