Author Topic: Mario RPG, FF III, EarthBound or Chrono Trigger?  (Read 3655 times)

Mario RPG, FF III, EarthBound or Chrono Trigger?
« on: May 01, 2016, 01:18:46 pm »
Which is your favorite? 

shepard11

Re: Mario RPG, FF III, EarthBound or Chrono Trigger?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 01:26:24 pm »
For me that would have to be Mario RPG. Out of that list it's the one I owned as a kid and still do. Heck I recently played it last month. It's still a great game.

telly

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 01:27:43 pm »
I haven't played Mario RPG, but I would rank the other three

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Earthbound
3. FF III
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 01:43:19 pm »
Of those choices? I would go with Chrono Trigger.

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 02:15:33 pm »
Earthbound.

Badges

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 03:22:50 pm »
I assume by FF III you mean VI.

Honestly I've only played Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger.  I do have both Earthbound and Super Mario RPG on the virtual console; however I haven't played them.

I first got to play Chrono Trigger when it came out on the DS; it didn't release here for the PlayStation and I'm not sure about the SNES but regardless when I had a SNES, I didn't even know what an RPG was. I really enjoyed it when I played through it on the DS, I actually reviewed it at the time on my website (I gave it an 8 overall :P). However I do think on the whole it's somewhat an over hyped game though. The music is very good, the whole time travelling concept is intriguing and the battle system is fun; however I find it a tad linear, the world is a tad bare and the game is short; I realise the idea is replaying it and achieving new endings but that doesn't interest me, I'd prefer a 70 hour games than one 25 hour game I can play multiple times.

So my answer by default is Final Fantasy VI but don't let that take anything away from it. Critically it's arguably the best J-RPG ever in my mind. It's hard to find anything wrong with it. Music, story, characters, gameplay..... this game simply has it all. it's a master piece. I don't think any game is perfect, however if I was reviewing FF VI, it  would be as close as it gets.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 03:27:52 pm by kmacdw »

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 03:24:31 pm »
Chrono Trigger >>> FF3(aka 6) >> Mario RPG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Earthbound

soera

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 10:28:59 pm »

Id flip CT and VI but other than that ... yeah.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 12:54:18 pm »

This.

Chrono Trigger is probably my all-time favorite RPG of the traditional JRPG variety (still like King's Field, Elder Scrolls, and Baldur's Gate action-RPG-like stuff, more, though).

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 01:10:50 pm »
Chrono Trigger. 

They're all really fun games though.  I don't even like RPGs and I've finished all of them several times.

doafan

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 03:11:46 pm »
I only have played and finished Mario RPG so my vote is for this one also dunno if someday I might gonna be able to play the other two, am not the kind of person that like to play at emulators also I don't have that much free time to spend with RPG's  ;)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

HarvestDude

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 02:43:35 am »
Mine would be FF III / VI first.

Then Chrono would follow closely.

Why? Well, i think despite Chrono having very high-balanced overall stats on graphics, music and story, i still prefer FFIII due to a more emotionally mature story and a heavy RPG system. You have to bust your ass off playing to get everything while Chrono makes it more easy to get all the spells and leveling up.

But i consider Chrono technically superior. It has a more balanced system and story flow. It's a highly refined game. FFIII is very traditional, very old-root-style-rpg-game.

HarvestDude™

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 12:29:47 am »
That's hard! But... Mario RPG, for nostalgic reasons. I beat this game 5 times, 3 in a row lol

Than Chrono Trigger > Earthbound > FFIII I think…

thewelshman

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 01:01:38 am »
Final Fantasy III (VI), and Chrono Trigger are always my top two picks. Normally falling FFVI, then Chrono Trigger, but its hard to pick one over the other. Final Fantasy VI was my true first taste into JPRGs. I technically played Phantasy Star III first, but it was only because it was cheap and I was saving up to buy a SNES and FFVI. I still play both games once a year, every year at least.

I've sadly never played Earthbound, and didn't enjoy Mario RPG as much as everyone else.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 05:42:38 am »
I've never played Earthbound or FF3/6, so it comes down to Chrono Trigger or Super Mario RPG.  Tough choice as they have different goals in minds as RPG's.  Chrono Trigger is the more engaging game with so much to do, but Super Mario RPG is very chill, very silly, but very charming.  Actually a very tough decision as they appeal in different ways...maybe Super Mario RPG?