Author Topic: Upscaling to HDMI?  (Read 1834 times)

Upscaling to HDMI?
« on: May 04, 2016, 10:06:22 am »
I have heard that some game rooms with multiple classic systems (NES, SNES, GENESIS, N64, you get the idea....) are running them all through an A/V switch box and using the single output from the switch box thru an HDMI converter before inputting to the TV.

does that have any tangible effect on the output quality? or is it more for convenience with inputs, sorting, etc.. ?
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

turom

PRO Supporter

Re: Upscaling to HDMI?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 11:06:29 am »
If the TV is a modern LCD screen, using an upscaling device like the Framemeister will indeed greatly enhance the image quality on screen when converting 240p signals from RGB SCART into a 720/1080p HDMI output. the difference is stunning, almost as good as a CRT.

But if the TV is a CRT then there is no need for an upscaler since the image will already be at its best possible quality.

Having a CRT gives you the best possible image and is the more practical, cheap and easy option. But a CRT will occupy much space and is a heavy device. When you got a room dedicated to it it's the best option. I understand as well that when not living in Europe or Japan grabbing a good CRT TV with RGB SCART input can be complicated.

If you don't have much space or if the TV is used also by modern devices you may want to use an LCD, then an upscaler can help with the image quality.. But it's more complicated since you have to configure it, your consoles have to be RGB compliant and sometimes it requires modding. If you use a SCART splitter to plug multiple consoles you have to make sure all the cables and the devices carry RGB signal correctly. Upscalers are great but I want to warn you that it's not just "plug and play". And a Framemeister for example is more than $300, it's not a cheap option.

You can have an idea of what a Framemeister can output on a LCD screen if you watch this capture on 720p60 quality + full screen, I captured this using a genuine Genesis console.

Having a good retro setup these days requires dedication whatever option you choose, but that's the best way to enjoy those retro games we're collecting, right?
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:24:48 am »
that is a very helpful post. thank you so much!

For me personally I'm wanting to set up my NES, SNES, N64, gamecube, and a blu ray player to my HD TV. I'm not familiar with Framemaister but the only ones that are popping up for me on a quick search have only 1 set of AV input. I would need a device with several to make this work. are you aware of any other products that would suit my need?

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 08:07:56 pm »
All you need to know about upscaling: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

For multiple consoles you will need to use a switcher between the upscaler and your HDTV.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 03:58:42 am »
All you need to know about upscaling: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

For multiple consoles you will need to use a switcher between the upscaler and your HDTV.

a lot of information on the site, but it starts ahead of square 1 which is unfortunate for an amateur like me! lol i have a lot to learn

are you implying that i should have an upscaler for each system for best results? because I would've phrased that for multiple systems you will need to use a switcher between the systems and the upscaler

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 04:49:54 am »
are you implying that i should have an upscaler for each system for best results? because I would've phrased that for multiple systems you will need to use a switcher between the systems and the upscaler

No you need only one upscaler, the chain should look like this:

[Multiple consoles] => [SCART switch] => [Upscaler] => [TV]

A SCART switch allows you to plug multiple SCART inputs and output only one SCART, you can then choose the source by pushing buttons. Mine looks like this.

If the goal is tu use an upscaler like the Framemeister then you need RGB signal, sadly if you plan to use Nintendo consoles they usually don't support RGB natively so you need either the good cable either a mod. All the info you need for RGB for each console can be found on this page.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 06:46:44 am »

All the info you need for RGB for each console can be found on this page.
[/quote]

this site is incredible, thank you! I see what you mean about Nintendo consoles not supporting RGB natively... and the quest for 'maximum quality display' is much more complicated than I originally imagined. but i'm not discouraged =)

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 12:59:32 pm »
I've been an RGB start evangelist for a few years now. It's amazing. Not every system supports it. But if it does, do it.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:46 pm »
CRT ftw

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 09:27:40 pm »
On the plus side, the original SNES and Genesis consoles* don't need any modding at all for RGB. Just get a special SCART cable for them (from eBay and other places) and plug into a Framemeister and you're good to go.

• (Not the later variants, like the SNES Jr, or the Genesis Model 2 or 3)