Author Topic: Any hidden gems on the Wii u?  (Read 2295 times)

Any hidden gems on the Wii u?
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:41:23 pm »
Any games that not too many people talk about that are worth checking out on Wii u? Obscure gems.

aliensstudios

Re: Any hidden gems on the Wii u?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:58:05 pm »
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is an excellent game (and it even has a physical release), I also really enjoyed Legend of Kay Anniversary. Aside from it's 10-year-old controls and kind of bad camera it's a lot of fun. Surprisingly, I enjoyed Batman: Arkham City a ton too, probably the best console to play the game on in my opinion. From the eShop I enjoyed AVGN Adventures but I wouldn't go so far as to call that one a hidden gem. There's also a charming Super Monkey Ball clone I've played called Percy's Predicament that is cheap and fun to boot.
In terms of upcoming releases, I expect The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 to be excellent. I loved the original on my Mac and I expect the sequel to deliver the same great game experience.
Those are some of the Wii U titles that come to my mind.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 08:17:34 pm »
For physical releases:
Zombiu
Lego City Undercover
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
The Wonderful 101
Giana Sisters Twisted Dream's Directors Cut
Sonic Lost World ( this one is really a hit or miss)
Wii Sports Club

I don't have too many digital releases, but there's some really great games on the eshop compared to the physical releases such as Nano Assault Neo, Fast Racing Neo, Bit Trip Runner 2 just to name a few.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 12:18:33 am »
I don't have many. Most of my favorite Wii U titles are Nintendo first-party well-knowns. But here's a handful that I really enjoyed:

-Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - A nice mixture of platforming and puzzle gameplay with some very pretty graphics. It's nothing that's going  to make your brain go mad, but it's just challenging enough to keep you going.

-DuckTales Remastered - It's the same, masterful game as the NES version, but better. Modern graphics, more story-details and dialogue, added content and levels, and a bunch of side-stuff and fan-service. Even without all of those bells and whistles, it's just a damn-fun platformer.

-Shovel Knight Adventure - Seriously, as silly as the title sounds, it's one of the best action-platformers I've ever played. So much fun. And underneath that slick design, there is some quirky humor, and a lot of fan-service to retro-gamers.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 10:12:28 am »
The only game on the Wii U that I can say is somewhat hidden and can be considered a gem is Gianna Sisters. Other than that, the library is too small and did not receive enough support to really have any hidden gems.

gf78

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:23:08 am »
For physical releases:
The Wonderful 101

This game bugged the crap out of me.  The music became super annoying, super fast.  The gameplay reminded me of Viewtiful Joe cranked up 1000X.  I suppose if you are into the super goofy anime shows, this will fit your tastes.  But 15 minutes in with that obnoxious music, I couldn't bear it any longer and had to turn it off. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

maximo310

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 11:00:44 am »
For physical releases:
The Wonderful 101

This game bugged the crap out of me.  The music became super annoying, super fast.  The gameplay reminded me of Viewtiful Joe cranked up 1000X.  I suppose if you are into the super goofy anime shows, this will fit your tastes.  But 15 minutes in with that obnoxious music, I couldn't bear it any longer and had to turn it off.
Interesting, I liked this game mostly because of the gameplay and past experience with viewtiful joe, and I had a feeling that the music would be based off of that ( the ost is ok, but it seems a bit to fall short compared to the excellent offerings of Platinum's other stuff like Bayonetta).  It's probably another one of those hit or miss hidden gems, so I can see why you probably decided not to play it anymore.

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 12:46:49 pm »
For physical releases:
The Wonderful 101

I didn't really like The Wonderful 101 either. It's ok in small doses but I don't see myself ever completing the game unfortunately.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 01:12:57 pm »
For physical releases:
The Wonderful 101

I didn't really like The Wonderful 101 either. It's ok in small doses but I don't see myself ever completing the game unfortunately.

For me personally, as if the music wasn't annoying enough the voices were seemingly narrating the plot.   :o ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us