Author Topic: Battlefield 1  (Read 925 times)

Battlefield 1
« on: May 06, 2016, 04:22:47 pm »
Anyone a Battlefield fan? They finally revealed the awkwardly named "Battlefield 1" and set it in World War 1.  Very good choice for a relatively unexplored era in gaming, and putting it out amid the scifi explosion right now.  It'll be exciting to experience gear and weaponry I've never used.  I'm hoping it's a darker and more intense game with its setting and the tech they have.

This is some art for the pre-order DLC which is a gear bundle that's based on a group from WW1 called the Harlem Hellfighters.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:24:33 pm by kamikazekeeg »

gf78

Re: Battlefield 1
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 04:39:50 pm »
I was looking at an article about it and saw the promo poster.  It looks interesting to me.  There have been many "great" wars in the world so it's nice to see a game focusing on something that hasn't been done to death like WWII and all the new "modern" and "future" warfare games.  What I have seen of the new Call of Doodie game just looks like a poor-man's Halo or Doom to me.  And that new Doom game looks friggin' fantastic IMO.

I never thought I would enjoy games set in "the old days", but when looking back at it, games like Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption and the original Call of Doodie and Medal of Honor games were some very enjoyable games that I couldn't put down. 

I'm going to keep my eye on Battlefield 1, though I wish they would change the name to something like "Battlefield WWI."  It just sounds stupid adding a "1" to the title.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:42:38 pm »
I was looking at an article about it and saw the promo poster.  It looks interesting to me.  There have been many "great" wars in the world so it's nice to see a game focusing on something that hasn't been done to death like WWII and all the new "modern" and "future" warfare games.  What I have seen of the new Call of Doodie game just looks like a poor-man's Halo or Doom to me.  And that new Doom game looks friggin' fantastic IMO.

I never thought I would enjoy games set in "the old days", but when looking back at it, games like Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption and the original Call of Doodie and Medal of Honor games were some very enjoyable games that I couldn't put down. 

I'm going to keep my eye on Battlefield 1, though I wish they would change the name to something like "Battlefield WWI."  It just sounds stupid adding a "1" to the title.

Yeah I think they should've just gone with the older naming style and made it "Battlefield 1914".  Doesn't matter if it spans more than that year, but it helps set the time period it is in.  Another I saw that was good was "Battlefield: The Great War".  Other than that, it looks like it should be pretty entertaining and they might be ramping the destruction back up after it was generally dialed down in favor of static set pieces that get destroyed.  They look cool, but I want to go back to more Bad Company level.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:56:15 pm »
Oh ya real happy, ive been wanting and love old war games... And WW1 is rarely ever done, so ill be keeping an eye on it. Hoping for a great game done right.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 06:31:20 pm »
Just read this on Amazon...

"Earth-shattering Intuitive Destruction - With intuitive destruction no battle is ever the same. Destroy vehicles big and small, and demolish entire buildings. From tiny wooden houses to massive stone forts, even the grounds on which you're fighting can be blasted apart."

They are putting terrain warping back in! They tested it in Battlefield 3 during the beta, but it never seemed to work right I guess, so they abandoned it.  I forget if they had it in Bad Company that much, but looks like we are getting proper destruction again and they've talked about "the largest vehicles ever", so I think we are getting usable battleships again and maybe zeppelins.  I imagine the Zeppelin could act more like the AC-130 they've had, but I'm stoked either way.  I think with this new era of combat, they are finally bringing back the best stuff the series had before that it started to drop.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:33:57 pm by kamikazekeeg »

gf78

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 06:52:36 pm »
Just read this on Amazon...

"Earth-shattering Intuitive Destruction - With intuitive destruction no battle is ever the same. Destroy vehicles big and small, and demolish entire buildings. From tiny wooden houses to massive stone forts, even the grounds on which you're fighting can be blasted apart."

They are putting terrain warping back in! They tested it in Battlefield 3 during the beta, but it never seemed to work right I guess, so they abandoned it.  I forget if they had it in Bad Company that much, but looks like we are getting proper destruction again and they've talked about "the largest vehicles ever", so I think we are getting usable battleships again and maybe zeppelins.  I imagine the Zeppelin could act more like the AC-130 they've had, but I'm stoked either way.  I think with this new era of combat, they are finally bringing back the best stuff the series had before that it started to drop.

Well, it seems to be shaping up nicely. Now we just need $120 for the game and season pass.  ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 01:01:21 am »
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/check-out-battlefield-1s-220-collectors-edition/1100-6439589/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0a

Holy shit, a $220 collectors edition.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01F80SXRI

Yeah it's pretty overpriced.  Doesn't even come with the inevitable season pass.  The exclusive DLC isn't even "exclusive", it's a timed release.  I always love metal tin cases and the statue is kinda cool, but that's not a very impressive collector's set for the price.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:04:16 am by kamikazekeeg »

gf78

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 01:29:50 pm »
Lol. EA being EA. $220 and it doesn't even include the obligatory season pass.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 03:28:06 am »
I just watched the trailer it looks awsome! Hope they dont screw it up. Odds are about 50/50 with EA.