Author Topic: Star Trek is Coming Back to TV, Where it Belongs!  (Read 1396 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Star Trek is Coming Back to TV, Where it Belongs!
« on: May 19, 2016, 02:05:54 pm »
YES! Completely geeking out!!!

A teaser trailer for the new TV series released by CBS:

http://www.startrek.com/article/watch-teaser-trailer-for-new-star-trek-series

Re: Star Trek is Coming Back to TV, Where it Belongs!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 03:39:27 pm »
Really hoping for something good out of this one as it's been too long.  I didn't hate Enterprise, but it's been awhile since the days of Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

gf78

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:00:27 pm »
Really hoping for something good out of this one as it's been too long.  I didn't hate Enterprise, but it's been awhile since the days of Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

I love Star Trek and science fiction in general, so I'll give it a chance.  I never took to Deep Space Nine or Voyager back in their day.  I think partly because they weren't The Next Generation and partly because at that time, I had gotten my first taste of intimacy and could think of nothing else if you catch my meaning.  Or in other words, the little guy was doing the thinking for the big guy and all that stuffed seemed completely irrelevant.   :P
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

soera

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 04:05:57 pm »
If its anything like TNG, Im going to be hooked. I watched DS9 but didnt care for it too much. Voyager was okay (Seven of Nine is hot). By the time Enterprise came out, I was too deep into Everquest to pay attention to anything else.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 07:53:12 pm »
From the style of the teaser, it looks like they're going with a JJ-verse look and feel, which is fine with me. I liked both the 09 reboot and Into Darkness, despite some pretty big plot holes but those two movies made Trek fun again, something that was woefully lacking from the movie series. I have high hopes for the series but am not happy about this idea of creating a netflix style service to watch the show. Of course there are alternatives so I'll see it regardless but the idea just rubs me the wrong way.

gf78

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 11:28:21 pm »
Yeah...I don't think I'm going to pay $8 a month to watch one show. I barely watch enough Netflix or Hulu to make it worth the money as is. Guess I'll watch it when it hits cable or someone streams it on the PC.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

soera

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 12:11:17 am »
Is that its own service?

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 07:15:03 am »
Oh, proprietary streaming service.  That's pure and utter garbage.  It's bad enough with Netflix, Prime, and Hulu spreading everything out and none them being are really better than the other, except for maybe Netflix with what I find is a general better selection of shows.  Prime is good like Netflix in streaming quality.  Hulu is garbage.  It's fairly pricey to go commercial free and it's program stuff for saving shows and such is awful.  It runs poorly.

A quick look at CBS All Access does have it at the cheapest of the streaming services though, only 6 bucks, but that's just because they don't have original content.

And I want HBO for Game of Thrones! I'm just waiting for the day we get a unified streaming service of some sort.  Can't imagine it happening any time soon though...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 12:36:55 pm »
The trailer said bit was going to be on both CBS and their streaming network.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 02:41:34 pm »

I just took my cable box back since I don't use it, so I won't be able to watch it on TV anyways.

gf78

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 03:10:55 pm »

It's a misdirection.  CBS the network will air the first episode/pilot.  All subsequent episodes will be available exclusively through the CBS streaming service.  And they aren't even putting them out all at one time.  It's going to be spaced out one per week.  So you can't even get the service for one month or two, watch everything and shut it off like with Netflix.   ::)

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 01:39:00 pm »
Did they say when the series is going to take place? I really really hope it takes place post-DS9 or Voyager.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 06:51:55 pm »
Did they say when the series is going to take place? I really really hope it takes place post-DS9 or Voyager.

From word I've seen on it, there might not be just one era for this.  I'm not sure if that means time travel or if like each season will be with a new crew and era or what, but it sounds like it might not be the conventional show of following just one ship and one group.