Author Topic: Genesis Model 1 A/c Adapter.  (Read 2099 times)

Genesis Model 1 A/c Adapter.
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:44:46 pm »
Hey so i need a little help with something. So i picked up a model 1 genesis today with no cords thinking the model 1 and 2's they were interchangeable...turns out im wrong. >->  So can anyone possibly help me find something inexpensive that will ship to Canada? I've tired looking at ebay but the whole amp/ volts thing is confusing me and everything there is just for models 2 & 3. Thank you for reading. :)

thecrypticodor

Re: Genesis Model 1 A/c Adapter.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:22:06 pm »
The official power supply is rated for 10V 1.2a DC with a polarity of outer barrel positive inner negative. The power connector size is 5.5 x 2.1. You can run it off any DC power supply with the same polarity ranging between 9-12V with at least 1 amp or over. You can also use a Atari Jaguar or Sega Master System supply with a model 1 Genesis. You can't use a NES power supply or any others with a AC output doing so can wreck your system.

Also try to avoid those small switch mode power supplies as they generate a ton or EMI/RFI noise and a lot of Chinese manufactures will leave out filtering components that they're supposed to have to save money. What this means is they can create interference in your picture. Ideally what you want in a nice heavy Class 2 transformer type supply.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:25:56 pm by thecrypticodor »

Flashback2012

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 02:02:54 am »
Hey so i need a little help with something. So i picked up a model 1 genesis today with no cords thinking the model 1 and 2's they were interchangeable...turns out im wrong. >->  So can anyone possibly help me find something inexpensive that will ship to Canada? I've tired looking at ebay but the whole amp/ volts thing is confusing me and everything there is just for models 2 & 3. Thank you for reading. :)

The part number for the Model 1 Genesis is MK-1602. The Model 2 part number is MK-2103. The easiest way to tell the difference is the Model 2 AC adapters have a yellow tip on the part that plugs into the system whereas the Model 1 ones have a black tip. I Sega Master System AC (MK-3025) can work for a Model 1 Genesis but I personally wouldn't use it for anything but a SMS. If you find one with the number MK-1479 that's  for the Genesis Model 3 and ONLY that model. If you find an adapter with MK-4122 on it, that's gold as it's for the CDX (and only for the CDX).

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 08:01:25 am »
A lot of electronic stores will sell universal power adapters, you just have to make sure you find one with interchangeable plugs, can do 9-12v, go up to and preferably over 1A, the polarity can be reversed, and most importantly does DC.

Feel free to correct me, but this looks sufficient

http://www.amazon.com/UNIVERSAL-ADAPTER-ADAPTOR-SONY-1000mA/dp/B001DT7BHM?ie=UTF8&keywords=universal%20dc%20power%20adapter&qid=1464264356&ref_=sr_1_21&sr=8-21

Does DC, goes up to 12v, 1 amp, polarity is reversible, and interchangeable plugs.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:08:04 am by ctracy87 »

tpugmire

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:13:28 am »
I'm pretty sure you can use a Turbografx 16 power supply, if you happen to have one.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:19:35 am »
When I ran into this situation, I needed 3 of them. HD Graphics Genesis, SMS and 32x all use the same adapter. Generic adapters as mentioned were not in my game plan, as one I had used popped the voltage regulator in the SMS. Radio Shacks still existed at this time, so replacing that part was easy. But since then, I do not trust anything but the official adapter.

I had resorted to buying Model 1 Genesis system lots on Ebay just to get the power adapters, as buying the adapter on its own seemed to be more expensive.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 01:52:43 pm »
I'm pretty sure you can use a Turbografx 16 power supply, if you happen to have one.
The TG16 supply is rated for 730ma which is even lower than those 3-1 things that are 850ma. Since people complain that those things don't power the Genesis correctly I'd avoid anything lower than 1 amp.

Early board revisions of the Genesis model 1 use two 7805 voltage regulators and later ones only use one. So I would assume that the later revisions would require less current. The Genesis model 2 only has 1 regulator and uses a 850ma supply. So if you have a later version model 1 you might be able to get away using one of those 3-1 jobs.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 06:51:58 pm »
Thank you all for trying to help! But i ended up returning the system to where i bought it from.. a real cord isnt worth the $30 people want for it, and anything i can find is too low in amps or volts to be used, i already have a model 2 anyway, i just wanted a different back up model. :P

doafan

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 01:55:56 pm »
Thank you all for trying to help! But i ended up returning the system to where i bought it from..

You did what ?, come on I would paid for it already had one controller for this console just keeping dust in a bag  :'(

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy