Author Topic: PS1 or PS2 games that are cheaper from Japan than in North America?  (Read 1290 times)

razorbeamz

I recently got a Japanese PS2, and I've been looking for games that were released in North America but are way more affordable to import from Japan. I don't really want text heavy games because I can't read Japanese, but those might be interesting to know about too.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

dreama1

I recently got a Japanese PS2, and I've been looking for games that were released in North America but are way more affordable to import from Japan. I don't really want text heavy games because I can't read Japanese, but those might be interesting to know about too.
I don't know if cheaper but tokyo highway racer series. Called Shutokou Battle (首都高バトル)

sworddude

Wanda to Kyozou Shadow of the Colossus

Aka

Shadow of the collosus.

The limited edition is really expensive though in Japan.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

desocietas

Aka

Shadow of the collosus.

Would there be any perk to getting the Japanese version? The NA version is very inexpensive.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

sworddude

Aka

Shadow of the collosus.

Would there be any perk to getting the Japanese version? The NA version is very inexpensive.

Not really you just save 50% of the price of a US copy and if you get a platinum copy you save even more.

Still though If I'm honest there is not to much to save for from the non exclusives. Maybe for the 2D fighting games, shoot em ups and such.

Rpg's are out of the question wich usually are the most expensive.

It's not like the sega saturn where you can buy a dirt cheap japanese copy of for example panzer dragoon saga.

Regarding ps2 games in most cases were probably talking about saving 5 to 10 bucks a game.

I think the exclusives might be interesting though especially in the shootem up and 2D fighting games department also some nice beat em ups wich were never released in the western regions.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:04:54 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

Re: PS1 or PS2 games that are cheaper from Japan than in North America?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 08:16:04 am »

Do you have a specific genre in mind? Since you mentioned you don't want text heavy games, I'm guessing you don't want an RPG or visual novel.

maximo310

Re: PS1 or PS2 games that are cheaper from Japan than in North America?
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 03:10:49 pm »
Most of the import fighting games and arcade games on ps2 in japan still command high prices, either for exclusive features ( tate, 480p support, etc.) or happen to be shmups. The only thing I could think of is Metal Slug Anthology( which is missing ms6 in the jp release) or maybe klonoa 2, but most of the other titles(besides text heavy rpgs) doesn't seem to be really cheap to pick up compared to their us counterparts.