Author Topic: Grand Kingom Grand Edition / Separate CE Items  (Read 2190 times)

desocietas

Grand Kingom Grand Edition / Separate CE Items
« on: June 27, 2016, 05:07:29 pm »
Hey all,

I just got my Grand Kingdom Grand Edition and am a little disappointed by how it ended up getting packaged, especially considering the cost. But hey, that's the gamble with preorders:

Anyway, as you see, it's actually two boxes. It looks like the box on the left is actually the "limited edition" (according to the text on the back) while the box on the right is what makes it the "grand edition," a box of the other goodies, I assume.

This is also why I make it a rule for myself to not add anything to my collection until after I have it in my hand, because I think I should change the record here: http://vgcollect.com/item/102239
so that it only reflects what is in that Grand Edition box (while the user then has to additionally add the Limited Edition to their collection).

Anyway, I know a few games have been issuing these separate CE boxes (without game)... for instance,
Lara Croft's Gold Edition: https://www.amazon.com/Lara-Croft-Temple-Osiris-Included-Pc/dp/B00O1Z3FMK

We don't have an entry for the American version of the Gold Edition as far as I can tell, so I didn't have anything to compare to.

Folks have any thoughts on these separate CE boxes?
I assume we want to indicate that they do not include the game.
Do we catalog it with games or as "swag"?

I guess once we rename "swag" to "collectibles," then it might sound more appropriate.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:11:27 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

Re: Grand Kingom Grand Edition / Separate CE Items
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:00:11 pm »
It sounds more like you pre-ordered the merchandise box and just happened to get a game, rather than the other way around. So it should be that the Grand Edition goes into merch and the Limited Edition into PS4 [NA]. Mark in the description for the merch that it also included the game, and in the desc for the game, say that it was included with Grand Edition...

It may well end up being the case that the game (as a packaged item on its own) will be available outside of this pre-order thing, as has happened in the past.

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 07:22:25 pm »
It sounds more like you pre-ordered the merchandise box and just happened to get a game, rather than the other way around. So it should be that the Grand Edition goes into merch and the Limited Edition into PS4 [NA]. Mark in the description for the merch that it also included the game, and in the desc for the game, say that it was included with Grand Edition...

It may well end up being the case that the game (as a packaged item on its own) will be available outside of this pre-order thing, as has happened in the past.

It's quite possible, that's for sure.  I was just a little disappointed because the Grand Edition was exclusive to the publisher site while the Limited Edition was available elsewhere. Sure the little extra box of goodies was the exclusive part, but it doesn't look too impressive from the outside, imo.

But yeah, I'll go ahead and change the Grand Edition item to say that it's a collectible and not a game (as that was likely the same box that came with the Vita or PS4 version).

EDIT: Ugh, none of the current swag categories really fit this item. Might have to see if another category could be added (or something changed with the "swag" section in general).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:57:08 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 08:56:53 pm »
Just to be clear, since I got this, I should add the GKLE PS4 game to my games list,  and the GK Grand Edition to my swag?
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 08:57:57 pm »
Just to be clear, since I got this, I should add the GKLE PS4 game to my games list,  and the GK Grand Edition to my swag?

Yup, that's what I did :)

This would also apply to any Grand Kingdom Grand Editions for the Vita as well. I'm assuming it's the same Grand Edition box packaged with either the Vita or the PS4 LE since the box has no indication of platform difference.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:03:16 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

ffxik

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 11:08:20 pm »
That sucks, kinda.  I don't list these kind of things in my collection because I use it to keep track of games and hardware.  These just muddy the numbers unfortunately for me.  So even though I own the Grand Edition.  I won't be listing it as such.  :-\

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 11:24:33 pm »
That sucks, kinda.  I don't list these kind of things in my collection because I use it to keep track of games and hardware.  These just muddy the numbers unfortunately for me.  So even though I own the Grand Edition.  I won't be listing it as such.  :-\

Yeah, I was hoping it'd be all in one box. Splitting it up makes sense from a production standpoint (sometimes I wonder why more companies don't do it), especially with multiple platforms, but I would've appreciated knowing that prior to purchasing it.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 12:47:46 am »
I think you guys are over thinking this. Why not just leave it as the Grand edition? Use this as the image for the game:

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 01:09:21 am »
Unfortunately, that wouldn't be representative of what we were actually shipped. We got all that stuff, but they came in two different boxes. So I could take a picture of both items and call that the "Grand Edition," but in reality it's the "Limited Edition" with an extra box of goodies marked "Grand Edition."
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 02:26:18 am »
I guess I just see it differently. It wasnt available to buy the stuff on its own, so to me, its all considered one item.

I just dont want to get started on cataloging each separate item. It would clutter up the database too much.

necrosexual

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 05:54:55 am »
for the sake of this site it sucks they weren't boxed together
on the other hand for production it was for the best and
honestly
i was getting scared of exactly HOW BIG that box was gonna be in my collection.

so i'm pretty glad they split up the boxes
i also imagine that, from the standpoint of collection AND packaging, it was likely easier to package it all this way, rather than in one giant box. it comes with a lot of neat stuff.

it does make cataloguing it more difficult tho.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 09:41:21 am »
It wasnt available to buy the stuff on its own, so to me, its all considered one item.

Except that the Limited Edition (the game part) is available separately.

soera

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 10:43:31 am »
We should do it just like NISA did. One entry for base game, one for LE, one for the GE but not make it where we have to put 2 entries (one being swag) for the GE. Just cause it came in two boxes doesnt mean its not one item.

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 12:00:48 pm »
Hmm then the actual container for this item would have been the shipping box.

NISA may have sold it as one item, but then sent 2 items on fulfillment. This doesn't mean we can then just pretend it is only 1 thing. They are not connected in any way besides the shipping box they came in.

soera

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 03:45:00 pm »
Again, its just over thinking.