Author Topic: Physical items with Steam codes / DRM disc  (Read 3246 times)

desocietas

Physical items with Steam codes / DRM disc
« on: June 28, 2016, 09:38:03 pm »
I just got my copy of Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition limited edition and was dismayed to find that it's not a DRM-free copy.

It does look like it comes with a disc, but the code is on the disc itself, apparently, according to the label on the back of the box:

I know physical copies of PC games that are DRM-free go into the PC category. However, since this requires Steam and is basically a Steam code with a useless disc after redemption, my gut says this item belongs in the Steam category.

There are a few other items out there that were physical editions that included an emailed code or voucher for the Steam game, and those were placed into the Steam category. For example, OXENFREE

Anyway, just thought I'd check in with the forum about it. It's not very clearly labeled in our Steam/digital games guide as it doesn't say which category to put the item in.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

aliensstudios

Re: Physical items with Steam codes / DRM disc
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:39:01 am »
I'd count it as a physical item. Yes it does use Steam to play and download, but it's still a physical item. The way I see it, the Steam library on this site is digital only. I hate when companies do this sort of thing, it makes it tough to sort and categorize. I'd go with whatever you think is the right solution. hopefully others will chime in here soon too.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 12:12:51 pm »
It is a physical item. It does not matter that the game itself requires Steam activation or some other 3rd party service to activate or install. This is no different than say... Half Life 2.

How you want to add it in your collection is one thing, that is your choice. The database should have the item in the physical category and (likely) in the Steam category, if you can get it on Steam without buying the physical item.

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 03:17:48 pm »
So PC [NA] category for both this and Oxenfree, you think?

They basically are just physical goodies that can be purchased that include a digital-only Steam game. I guess PC [NA] doesn't necessarily mean anything that doesn't have DRM. More of a catch-all for anything that didn't need to be specified as client-specific.

The standalone games are indeed available on Steam without the goodies.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 06:52:28 pm »
I can't say for Oxenfree. The description on that entry seems to indicate that there is no game in it, just a code?

Your game actually came with a disc.

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 08:28:05 pm »
I can't say for Oxenfree. The description on that entry seems to indicate that there is no game in it, just a code?

Your game actually came with a disc.

Yeah, Oxenfree was just an emailed code. Ori does indeed have a disc, but the disc might not do anything? I haven't found any information confirming my thoughts about the disc being pointless, so I think I'll open it tonight to figure it out.

If it came with disc, I'll put it under PC [NA].
If it's basically a code, and the disc does nothing, should it go under Steam? That's where Oxenfree currently is, and that makes the most sense to me since the game itself is what determines the category.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 11:03:21 pm »
This item is listed under PS4 games : http://vgcollect.com/item/73179

Its just a box with a code in it.

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 01:32:19 am »
This item is listed under PS4 games : http://vgcollect.com/item/73179

Its just a box with a code in it.

Hm, that's so conflicting for me. I feel like that's PSN but it's different from the PSN version because it has a physical box at least...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 05:28:18 am »
I'm confused. I made a few entries of the box version with code:
http://vgcollect.com/item/77865
http://vgcollect.com/item/82905
http://vgcollect.com/item/96930
http://vgcollect.com/item/82906
http://vgcollect.com/item/81096

I decided to put them in a digital category, but now I'm not sure about it. There is no disc or card, but they are all boxed. Shoud I change it to the physical categories? What do you think?

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 09:49:39 am »
The question is whether box+code (not box+likely useless disc) is a to be added as a game or "swag."

There is no doubt that the digital game belongs in the appropriate digital category.
But a physical thing should definately not exist in a digital category... since (so far) you can't buy and download a physical thing.

maximo310

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 01:08:33 pm »
Crap, that's not good news.  Is there any data of the game on the disc at all?

rayne315

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 01:30:17 pm »
It takes a keen Eye but you can actually physically see if their is any data on the disc by looking for the telltale line between the pitted foil (data) and the non-pitted foil. all data starts at the center of the disc and travels outwards. with most disc media only the last 1-5 millimeters do not have data printed onto it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:32:23 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

maximo310

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 02:31:35 pm »
Ok, so since I got my LE today, it looks like the data is on the disc, but the steam drm is present on it, since the game is forced to be verified and downloaded to your hard drive via Steam when you try to install it.

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 02:41:55 pm »
Ok, so since I got my LE today, it looks like the data is on the disc, but the steam drm is present on it, since the game is forced to be verified and downloaded to your hard drive via Steam when you try to install it.

Ah, thanks for confirming, maximo310. That sucks. I don't know why companies bother to make a retail disc copy if they're going to force you to download and play the game through Steam. Unfortunately, it wasn't clearly listed on the Amazon listing, so there are already some negative reviews due to this lack of information.

Well, so that brings us back to the matter at hand.

How do we handle these two cases:
a) Physical box, physical discs but requires Steam to verify/play
b) Physical box, no disc, voucher/code for Steam to download/play

I don't think either should belong in swag/collectibles as they do include the game as part of the package.  I feel like B should belong in the Steam category, because the game itself is still just a Steam game, no matter the fact that it comes with other physical goodies.  I'm torn on A, though...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 03:16:43 pm »

Ah, thanks for confirming, maximo310. That sucks. I don't know why companies bother to make a retail disc copy if they're going to force you to download and play the game through Steam. Unfortunately, it wasn't clearly listed on the Amazon listing, so there are already some negative reviews due to this lack of information.

Well, so that brings us back to the matter at hand.

How do we handle these two cases:
a) Physical box, physical discs but requires Steam to verify/play
b) Physical box, no disc, voucher/code for Steam to download/play

I don't think either should belong in swag/collectibles as they do include the game as part of the package.  I feel like B should belong in the Steam category, because the game itself is still just a Steam game, no matter the fact that it comes with other physical goodies.  I'm torn on A, though...
For similar case A where Steam authenication is required to verify/play the game w/ the physical disc ( Fallout 4 US as an example), its listed under PC (NA) for the  retail disc copy, while a copy of the game bought on Steam is listed under Steam(NA).

After I installed Ori via Steam, it still looks like the files are on the disc, with Steamworks and the file formats of the data  keeping you from playing the game directly off the disc.
Hopefully, people will find a way to remove the DRM at some point in the future, since most customers didn't know about this beforehand before getting the game.

Edit: Looks like there's only 6GB on the disc, while the game size of the Definitive Edition via Steam is 10.5 GB and the reg edition is 7.5 GB. If only there was a PC Blu-Ray format.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:07:00 pm by maximo310 »