Author Topic: SNES Repro Carts- Help needed  (Read 1367 times)

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

SNES Repro Carts- Help needed
« on: July 22, 2016, 02:41:27 pm »
Hey all,

I have recently made contact with a guy offloading his SNES collection and he's given me first dibs on everything. 

He also has 5 Repro carts each with an "official repro" box to go with them and I was wondering if anyone on here was knowledgeable about their general value.  Is ebay sold listings sufficient for fair market?  Some of these I can't find any listings for. 

He has:

Clock Tower- English Translation

Bahamut Lagoon- English Translation

Front Mission: Gun Hazard- English Translation

Live a Live: English Translation

Star Fox 2: English Translation

He's selling them 50 bucks a pop and he just sent me a picture and they look very nice.

I was thinking about getting Clock Tower, Bahamut Lagoon and Front Mission: Gun Hazard and he offered $150.  Is this even remotely worth it?  I've told him I want to think it over before I pull the trigger.  This guy is giving me some great prices on his other official cartridges so I feel like it's probably a good deal but thought I'd see if there were any experts on here that could give me some advice

Re: SNES Repro Carts- Help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 02:47:16 pm »
Repros aren't worth more than $15-30 a piece, Star Fox 2 and a few others are a little different in that they are harder to make.  Harder might not be the right word, they have specific requirements.

The "boxes" he is giving you are UGC cases with artwork printed on photo paper and slipped in the sleeve, not unlike a DVD case.  I only saw part of the image.  Those are boxes with cardboard inserts, that raises the value a bit.  $50 might not be bad.

I know plenty of repro producers who will gladly make just about any game for $25-30.  Star fox 2 might run you a bit more, maybe $40.  But you won't have boxes, inserts, or plastic protectors.  Just the cart.  Anybody who tells you otherwise is trying to rip you off.

I'd buy Star Fox 2 for $50 if it came with the box.

I'm making so many edits on this post.

The fact that repros are just that... reproductions, there are no limited runs or out of prints, you just produce more, there really is no "market" for these since you can just go find a producer who will make them for you.  Yes, if you are going to be a giant douche and throw it up on ebay some moron will pay your price likely, but then you're a douche and they're a moron.  If you are buying it for yourself, you just have to make the decision solely on how much you care.  Repros don't have much value nor should they.  If you just want to play the "hack", just load up an emulator or patch a ROM on a Retron5.  If you care about having a fake game on your shelf, then knock yourself out.  Repros are definitely not something you should look at wondering if it'll go up in value.  They never will.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:59:10 pm by ignition365 »

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 03:11:53 pm »
I did some digging and I think this is the site where he got them all from.  All the games he is selling are listed on there and the pictures look the same. 

http://www.ocdreproductions.com/BOXED_GAMES/cat1560737_1636977.aspx

I think I'm going to offer him $200 for all 5.  They all look like really cool, fun games and it seems like that would be a fair price for all of them. 

The fact that repros are just that... reproductions, there are no limited runs or out of prints, you just produce more, there really is no "market" for these since you can just go find a producer who will make them for you.  Yes, if you are going to be a giant douche and throw it up on ebay some moron will pay your price likely, but then you're a douche and they're a moron.  If you are buying it for yourself, you just have to make the decision solely on how much you care.  Repros don't have much value nor should they.  If you just want to play the "hack", just load up an emulator or patch a ROM on a Retron5.  If you care about having a fake game on your shelf, then knock yourself out.  Repros are definitely not something you should look at wondering if it'll go up in value.  They never will.

Yeah I definitely am not asking for value so I can flip them and turn a profit, that seems counter-productive.  I was more so just curious about what the average costs were in buying one because I really didn't know much about them and there seemed to be a lot of conflicting info and prices on different websites I was checking out.  Thanks for the good advice. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:24:36 pm by NickAwesome »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 03:21:21 pm »
They're usually $50-$60 when they come with decent looking boxes. 

If you're into those, $200 for 5 doesn't seem too bad.

rayne315

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 03:46:16 pm »
lets put it this way. one of the stores I frequent sells repro carts for games at $40-60 a pop for just the cartridge itself, they also do not have anywhere near as good of games as these and people still buy them. if your apprehensive about it just be up front with him he may drop the price down to where your comfortable buying them.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:48:22 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 04:27:11 pm »

lets put it this way. one of the stores I frequent sells repro carts for games at $40-60 a pop for just the cartridge itself, they also do not have anywhere near as good of games as these and people still buy them. if your apprehensive about it just be up front with him he may drop the price down to where your comfortable buying them.

He accepted my offer. I'm excited to try them all out.  Thanks for the advice everyone. 

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 10:47:07 pm »
Super jealous of you getting a boxed Star fox 2 for basically $40.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 01:03:29 am »
Super jealous of you getting a boxed Star fox 2 for basically $40.

Ha, well don't be too jealous.  I can't get the Front Mission cart to work at all... Luckily the guy I bought them from is still in contact so I'm not completely screwed over. 

But, Star Fox 2 works great though. 

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 01:50:11 pm »
Damn that sucks about the Front Mission cart.  The original Japanese cart for Front Mission has the menu interface completely in English, but its still worth getting the translation just for the great story.
Good luck in getting the cart fixed.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 02:27:09 pm »
Yeah, I might just give it back to the guy.  I just get a black screen and then every 25 times or so it'll flash with color or some dead pixels and then die again.  It could just be that the connectors aren't working or maybe the rom is just toast.  No clue. 

The Bahamut Lagoon cart is a bit sketchy as well, it takes a couple tries to boot and it sometimes stops working just after the title screen.  There seems to some weird ghosting or burn in so that could indicate that the rom is failing as well.  I tried it on my brother's mini-snes and it seemed to work a lot better so I'm going to clean my snes guts and see if that will help it play more reliably.  If not, I might try to have him take that one back as well. 

The Clock Tower connectors are wonky too but once it boots (5-10 tries), it works pretty well.  Probably my favorite game out of the 5 so far, so I'm hoping once I clean the connectors on my snes, it'll boot and run more reliably.

Live a Live and Star Fox 2 work perfectly.   

kashell

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 02:50:16 pm »
Live a Live...that's such an underrated gem. Does this guy have any more of those for sale?

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 04:18:25 pm »
Live a Live...that's such an underrated gem. Does this guy have any more of those for sale?

Unfortunately no.  Those were the only 5 he has.  He's just a young Dad selling off his snes collection so he can take his kids to disneyland.  Nice dude. 

kashell

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 08:14:30 am »
Alas. Still, I'm glad someone else is going to check it out. I hope you enjoy it!