Author Topic: What is your most scary and unsettling gaming experiences ever?  (Read 1384 times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uHLQHjtPLE    I don't know if anyone else got a little uneasy when this came up. But for some reason when I was a kid it always spooked me. Something about the eerie clouds of red smoke, the distorted cubes, the faint sounds of wind and nothingness, the randomness of it,  the sound it makes like something has died internally and demons staring at you. 

Sony really drove the fact that your disc was beyond saving home with all these effects. I was about 10 and these were nightmarish in a dark room. Especially the first time, because it looks as if the game is loading and then it hits you with the sound of regret and death and the whole screen turns red. feels like a outer body experience. The comments on the video of so many people who have nightmares of it too.  I bet the PS2 red screen of death is what you see before you enter Hell. its like what Hell's gate looks like. then the portal sucks you in.  :(

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What is your most scary and unsettling gaming experiences ever?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 01:48:35 pm »
I grew up on horror movies, so most games are tame by comparison. None of them have really creeped me out.

But Resident Evil 2 did make me jump pretty good.

It was late at night, I was about 13, playing RE2 in my room that I shared with my brother. He was asleep, so I had the headphones plugged in and was sitting in the dark playing. I got to the shed behind the police station. I go to open in the door in the back, next to the desk and I put my controller down to take a drink, expecting the door loading part. Instead the music suddenly blares and zombies start to come out of the door as it opens. Nearly jumped out of my seat!

stealthrush

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 02:28:46 pm »
When I was younger King's Field spooked me, the concept and atmosphere. As a teenager it was Silent Hill 2 for PS2. The whole game, prison stage, ending boss.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:35:59 pm »
When I was younger King's Field spooked me, the concept and atmosphere. As a teenager it was Silent Hill 2 for PS2. The whole game, prison stage, ending boss.

I love King's Field so very much. That is all.

hexen

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 05:59:09 pm »
There I was. I had been exploring a new part of the city I hadn't been before. I discovered a small pawn shop filled with various nick-knacks and patty-wacks in my search for NES cartridges. As I rustled through the boxes of shrunken heads and skin-lined books I found an old NES cartridge with no label. When in doubt, you buy that shizz, so I took it to the elderly gypsy woman who owned the store. She looked up from her battery-powered crystal ball and stared at me with her white, pupil-less eyes. I asked her how much she wanted for the game, making sure to throw in the right amount of millennial slang to let her know I was hip, and she opened her mouth to respond. As she stared at me, he mouth hanging open without movement, she spoke a strange language that sounded like a mix of backward English and forward Spanish. I somehow discerned that she wanted me to take it for free... as if she had influenced my mind to know this based on the fact I was cheap. I slipped her $100 in Monopoly money and skipped my way out.

Returning to my home which was right next door I took my cartridge and blew on it as hard as I could to make it work. After cleaning it with alcohol and a Q-tip to reverse the damage I did by blowing in it, I slipped it into my knock-off NES clone system and after flipping the switch 20 times to get the Chinese POC to work, the title flicked on with the trademark poorly emulated sound chips. I stared at the screen in horror as a scary sun man stared back at me with demon eyes! The game was called Taboo: The Sixth Sense, and after looking it up online and not reading any of the mentions of it I concluded that it was a one-of-a-kind haunted devil game. The game asked me if I would like to know the future, and in spite of my lack of interest to do so, I feigned interest to not seem rude. As I entered my name, a sense of supreme dread fell over me - if I told the game my name and birthday, could it steal my identity? Throwing caution to the wind I entered my name "Asschamp" and my birthday "4-20-69". It asked me to submit my question for the future... I hesitated thinking of the possible consequences of messing with devil magic to know the what should not be known, would Allah forgive me? I bit my lip and typed the question sweating bullets... 'Will Kylie Jenner's eye shadow company succeed?' I asked to the darkness. As the wheels of unmitigated fate and horror meshed together to form the answer I sought the cards danced like flames on a hobo's trash fire. My fate was revealed to me in the form of the cards 'the staff', 'the hanged man' and 'the coin'. It was clear then that Kylie's cosmetics would be a rousing success. Shaking like Micheal J. Fox, I groped blindly at my chest to see if my soul still remained, but it wasn't over yet. It asked me to enter my state to obtain my lucky numbers. As I scrolled through the list of states... my heart stopped. I scrolled and scrolled, ever more frantically. Where was my state of Texas? Where was it?! I dropped the controller and stumbled to my globe. My fears where confirmed... where Texas was on the map, there was nothing. I ran outside and fell to my knees. TEXAS WAS GONE, I WAS IN SPACE! WHAT HAD I DONE?! I know anyone reading this doesn't know what Texas was, because it's been erased... but the oddly shaped void of nothingness between the US and Mexico... use to be a state... BEFORE TABOO!

That is my scariest experience, please like, 5 stars and subscribe.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

rayne315

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 07:36:15 pm »

That is my scariest experience, please like, 5 stars and subscribe.

... Wtf is Texas? -1 for making places up... Lol :P
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

maximo310

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 07:39:26 pm »
Once upon a time, I watched a top 10 Watchmojo worst games video ever. I was so scared that my body fell out of the car, and only my soul body remained. The car stopped at my house, and the driver said " We're at Max's house!", only to discover I wasn't there. I remained trapped in that car for all eterenity, and was refered to as " Bruce Willis", and developed a " sixth sense", which mainfested itself into a Stand.

Please give me 200 likes in order for me to tell part 2 of this horrifying story.

azure

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:54:47 pm »
I once put in my copy of Animal Crossing and it was too scratched to boot up. Little me was horrified and depressed.

Once upon a time, I watched a top 10 Watchmojo worst games video ever. I was so scared that my body fell out of the car, and only my soul body remained. The car stopped at my house, and the driver said " We're at Max's house!", only to discover I wasn't there. I remained trapped in that car for all eterenity, and was refered to as " Bruce Willis", and developed a " sixth sense", which mainfested itself into a Stand.

Please give me 200 likes in order for me to tell part 2 of this horrifying story.

Did you say, Stand?

retrogemcollector

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 06:56:45 am »
I'm not able to finish Doom3.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 11:14:06 am »
Hexen's Amazing Story

This wins the internet for today.  Well done

You are now entitled with the moniker, "Mayor of The Internet"

"With great power comes great responsibility."

kashell

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 11:28:05 am »
Story.

That was entertaining.

I want more of these on my desk first thing Monday morning.

hexen

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 11:45:27 am »
Hexen's Amazing Story

This wins the internet for today.  Well done

You are now entitled with the moniker, "Mayor of The Internet"

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Thank you for knighting me, milord. You have more NES games than me, so the authority is yours. I cannot take full credit, however, as some must go to my eternal muse MarvelVsCapcom2.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!