Author Topic: Upcoming collector's edition  (Read 2550 times)

Upcoming collector's edition
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:28:22 pm »
Anyone here buy collector's editions and sell them later on?
Are there upcoming editions that you think will sell out and worth a lot more?

theflea

Re: Upcoming collector's edition
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 06:40:20 pm »
Anything JRPG are good collectors edition to get, these usually hold value at least.
Anything Nintendo is a good choice.
Anything Survival horror is a good CE to get.
Anything website exclusive is a good choice.
But most of all get what you like, not all collector's editions are that great and I pass on a few myself.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 06:41:19 pm »
Collectors edition of Madden and Call of Duty should be worth thousands in a few years. Better stock up!

indenton

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 06:50:29 pm »

Welcome to the site, didn't hesitate to get into the forums huh

No, I don't do that and I pretty sure we don't have anyone on VGCollect who is into such a practice.  I believe that a lot of us shop by games and franchises that we're interested in, not by 'How much money it will make me'.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say you've described a scalper. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:52:30 pm by indenton »

azure

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:52:29 pm »

No, I don't do that and I pretty sure we don't have anyone on VGCollect who is into such a practice.  I believe that a lot of us shop by games and franchises that we're interested in, not by 'How much money it will make me'.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say you've described ascalper.

+1

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 08:51:43 pm »

No, I don't do that and I pretty sure we don't have anyone on VGCollect who is into such a practice.  I believe that a lot of us shop by games and franchises that we're interested in, not by 'How much money it will make me'.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say you've described a scalper.

I like to collect video games that will become "rare" or hard to find.  Everyone has their own interests.  I don't intend to sell them, or if I do, that would be my prerogative. 
Currently have the Zelda Gold Remote Bundle that I bought a couple years ago for $70.  And yes, I'm starting to read the forum.

Thanks

madmax

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:51:02 pm »
Unfortunately, Square Enix have decided to release 2-3 Final Fantasy games per year, each with about a couple special editions and a collector's edition. I no longer seek collector's editions, they are too expensive from the get go.

indenton

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:18:58 pm »
I like to collect video games that will become "rare" or hard to find.  Everyone has their own interests.  I don't intend to sell them, or if I do, that would be my prerogative. 
Currently have the Zelda Gold Remote Bundle that I bought a couple years ago for $70.  And yes, I'm starting to read the forum.

Thanks

You never mentioned rarity, all you expressed was making money off of collectors editions.  If I'm not mistaken, that sounds like a scalper.  You know, target an online retailer and buy up copies of a limited edition game the second they become available, ceasing them from the legitimate consumer.  Then holding them at ransom across eBay for a reasonable profit.  Sure it's legal, you have the right, it's pretty damn immoral and everyone thinks they're a cancer to the community. 

It should be noted that I'm now aware you're talking about reselling rather than scalping, I'll assume you're referring to selling at a later date rather than on / before release

If you legitimately are in it for the games, you're doing a fine job avoiding showing interest in the games themselves.  Do you have any preference of games or franchises you collect?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:02:23 pm by indenton »

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 10:34:03 pm »

Welcome to the site! Feel free to say hello over at our intro thread if you haven't already.

I occasionally buy second copies of a nice CE for a few reasons:
I want to have a sealed copy for collecting purposes.
I'm worried about damage occurring from the shipping process and end up returning the less pristine version.
I know that there might be another collector interested and have one on hand in case they want it.

So yeah, I do occasionally resell but only sometimes at higher than the price I paid.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 12:49:42 am »
Summon Night 6 is the collector's edition I'm looking forward to the most. Since it's a Gajinworks game it will probably hold it's value for a long while.
Then on the reverse side is my newest collector's edition of Doom. Bought it for under $50 new off Amazon. When it released a few months back it was $120. Collector's edition are tricky this way. Fallout 4 Pip Boy edition? Sold out quickly. Final Fantasy XV Ultimate Collector's Edition? Gone in under 30 minutes. Dishonored 2's Collector's Edition? Not so much. Persona 5 Take Your Heart Edition? Still available.
My general rule is to preorder a collector's edition that I think I might want as soon as it becomes available to preorder. That way if it does sell out I'm set. If I end up not wanting it, I can always cancel the preorder.

kashell

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 09:09:14 am »
My general rule is to preorder a collector's edition that I think I might want as soon as it becomes available to preorder. That way if it does sell out I'm set. If I end up not wanting it, I can always cancel the preorder.

That's my rule. If it's for a franchise I like, then I'll pick one up as soon as possible.

Similarly, if it's for a  new game franchise, I'll pick one up if the extras are cool and if the game looks fun. MeiQ Labyrinth is a good example. This is a game I barely heard of until recently. It looked fun, so I ordered the CE.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 01:02:17 am »

Thanks

You never mentioned rarity, all you expressed was making money off of collectors editions.  If I'm not mistaken, that sounds like a scalper.  You know, target an online retailer and buy up copies of a limited edition game the second they become available, ceasing them from the legitimate consumer.  Then holding them at ransom across eBay for a reasonable profit.  Sure it's legal, you have the right, it's pretty damn immoral and everyone thinks they're a cancer to the community. 

It should be noted that I'm now aware you're talking about reselling rather than scalping, I'll assume you're referring to selling at a later date rather than on / before release

If you legitimately are in it for the games, you're doing a fine job avoiding showing interest in the games themselves.  Do you have any preference of games or franchises you collect?

I generally like Nintendo and Activision.  Back in the days I used to play a lot of Warcraft and Doom.  I still play games but not as much due to work. 
What kind of games do you like to play?

indenton

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 05:00:58 pm »
Big contrast between Action/Adventure games & Fighting games, then around the corner comes a flurry of RPGs - JRPGs & Tactical but time consuming nonetheless. 

Let's see... Final Fantasy, Persona, Skullgirls, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, bunch of other niche japanese stuff (I draw the line at the weird stuff though).  Like you mentioned the busy lifestyle of adulthood will get in the way of gaming.  That only makes the RPGs longer and the Action games easier to jump into.  World of Warcraft and Doom sound like similar counterparts actually. 

I'll conclude on that I'm interested in collector's editions from franchise that I care about, that radar is already spread pretty thin, where'd Klonoa go? I don't want to spend too much beyond the standard release price: Game retail price + £20 is my limit before I'm pissed off, I still have the scars from Fire Emblem Fates.

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 07:35:58 pm »
Nope, that is called being a reseller or a scalper. I oppose it with every fiber of my being lol.   It is the reason why prices are high and the market is saturated.  Resellers see this hobby as a cash cow. I hate it so much when I see it happening locally, they prey on the pockets of someone and their passion for something. Maybe they should look into getting something called a job. A moral way of making money.  Not making 1000 percent profit off of another person's passion. I buy a game because I love games, play games and want to own the game. I don't buy games because I want to make money off of them. I would resell sneakers, houses or cars if I was into that. You know, 3 markets that make you much more in reselling.  I don't camp outside of good will wee hours of the morning and stock up on 1-3 dollar games donated to charity just to flip them on ebay for 200 bucks.  nope, I am not that guy. Never will be.  I find shame in that. Its legal but truly its only 1 step away from being a thief. 

Resellers will horde 5 collector's editions and wait for the inevitable price surge and then sell all 5 for 400 percent profit and make like 1k more then what they spent meanwhile the only person that gets burned in this is the actual person who actually wanted the game to begin with but couldn't get it because said reseller horded them all.  Times that by the thousands of resellers out there and it creates a vicious cycle.  Part reason why Smash Melee is 60 bucks when its the most common and highest sold GameCube game in the world.  Games that should be 5 bucks are 20, games that should be 50 are 200.   it goes on and on. All because people want more and more for retro games. its so popular now and we fall victim to it.   We pay for it because we truly love these games. It isn't some piece of stock to us.  It isn't a investment. its a hobby.

I see it more and more, deals are few and far between, instead of buying a game and selling it and even making 100 percent profit, 50 percent profit.  no it has to be triple profit.  I will buy this for 150. it will be worth 500 once its sold out and no one can get it.  then after 5 years of this I will send my kid's to college and drive a corvette.   Sketchy, shady and not my bag of chips.  I have dedicated threads to this. 

With that said I am really looking forward to the South Park Fractured but whole collector's edition :). it comes with the cartman coon 6 inch fig and the post cards :D.  be sure to save me one. 

indenton

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 08:40:53 pm »
Nope, that is called being a reseller or a scalper. I oppose it with every fiber of my being lol.   It is the reason why prices are high and the market is saturated.  Resellers see this hobby as a cash cow. I hate it so much when I see it happening locally, they prey on the pockets of someone and their passion for something. Maybe they should look into getting something called a job. A moral way of making money.  Not making 1000 percent profit off of another person's passion. I buy a game because I love games, play games and want to own the game. I don't buy games because I want to make money off of them. I would resell sneakers, houses or cars if I was into that. You know, 3 markets that make you much more in reselling.  I don't camp outside of good will wee hours of the morning and stock up on 1-3 dollar games donated to charity just to flip them on ebay for 200 bucks.  nope, I am not that guy. Never will be.  I find shame in that. Its legal but truly its only 1 step away from being a thief. 

Resellers will horde 5 collector's editions and wait for the inevitable price surge and then sell all 5 for 400 percent profit and make like 1k more then what they spent meanwhile the only person that gets burned in this is the actual person who actually wanted the game to begin with but couldn't get it because said reseller horded them all.  Times that by the thousands of resellers out there and it creates a vicious cycle.  Part reason why Smash Melee is 60 bucks when its the most common and highest sold GameCube game in the world.  Games that should be 5 bucks are 20, games that should be 50 are 200.   it goes on and on. All because people want more and more for retro games. its so popular now and we fall victim to it.   We pay for it because we truly love these games. It isn't some piece of stock to us.  It isn't a investment. its a hobby.

I see it more and more, deals are few and far between, instead of buying a game and selling it and even making 100 percent profit, 50 percent profit.  no it has to be triple profit.  I will buy this for 150. it will be worth 500 once its sold out and no one can get it.  then after 5 years of this I will send my kid's to college and drive a corvette.   Sketchy, shady and not my bag of chips.  I have dedicated threads to this. 

With that said I am really looking forward to the South Park Fractured but whole collector's edition :). it comes with the cartman coon 6 inch fig and the post cards :D.  be sure to save me one.

Come on Marv, I really do believe I jumped the gun, I got a bit heated like you but after reading what Xoomoon wrote exactly this isn't what they were talking about.  Let's just try and keep things chilled.