Author Topic: Retropalooza IV!!!  (Read 2236 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Retropalooza IV!!!
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:49:55 am »
It's that time of the year again! 

Who's Ready For Retropalooza??!!  It's what could be my favorite time of the year!  I'm so freaking excited!

Is anyone else going to be near DFW area next weekend?  It's going to be hellova time! Come see me and buy my shit!

kashell

Re: Retropalooza IV!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 12:27:53 pm »
You know I'll be there. I'm excited to hang out and spend more money than I should!

Flashback2012

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 01:21:53 pm »
As much as I'd love to go to this (and visit the state of Texas in general) that's a bit of a trek for me. Have fun though!  ;D

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 01:28:02 pm »
If I didn't already have plans, and was willing to drive up to Dallas, I'd maybe come.

telly

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 02:07:57 pm »
I would go in a heartbeat if I wasn't in school!  :'(
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

soera

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 05:27:10 pm »
When exactly is it? I need to figure out if I am going to be able to make the drive.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 06:04:24 pm »
It's like a 600-mile drive for me so no :(

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 08:41:07 pm »
When exactly is it? I need to figure out if I am going to be able to make the drive.

It's Oct 2-3 at the Arlington Convention Center.  That's next Saturday and Sunday.  One week from tomorrow.

hexen

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 09:18:26 am »
I live in the area, and I went to the first one, but they raised the price of admission since then and even the first one was mostly looking at a museum because everything was overpriced. It's size was not something then that I think would have been worth driving a long time for, but maybe worth it for giggles if you live in Texas, or maybe a bordering state and have no plans for a day.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 10:09:44 am »
I live in the area, and I went to the first one, but they raised the price of admission since then and even the first one was mostly looking at a museum because everything was overpriced. It's size was not something then that I think would have been worth driving a long time for, but maybe worth it for giggles if you live in Texas, or maybe a bordering state and have no plans for a day.

It's waaaaaay bigger than the first year.

You thought stuff was overpriced?  I've found a bunch of deals at cons.  If you don't have anything to do that day, come on over.  At least you can hang out with the 3 or 4 people from the forums that will be there.

kashell

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 11:47:41 am »

Well that sounds disheartening, but I'm still looking forward to it.

hexen

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 01:31:19 pm »

It's waaaaaay bigger than the first year.

You thought stuff was overpriced?  I've found a bunch of deals at cons.  If you don't have anything to do that day, come on over.  At least you can hang out with the 3 or 4 people from the forums that will be there.

I was wondering if it had expanded in size. If it has, it actually might be worth another look. Plus I can ask you if you think it's worth probably doubling what I spent on the first 95% of NES games to get the last 5% in person, being as I was NES champ until you usurped me with your willingness to buy $200+ games, Mr. Moneybags (unless you already had the rare ones, I just remember having slightly more that you like 4 years back, haha)!

Well that sounds disheartening, but I'm still looking forward to it.

Honestly, I'm a bit of a grandpa at 28. I started collecting when things where cheap, so I have the 'back in my day' syndrome. Prices where not that much above Ebay when I went, and this was mostly moderate to rare stuff, I got some good deals on common things I needed. Plus, with Turf saying it's gotten much bigger, it has a lot more potential. I don't wanna be killing any hype!
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 08:47:39 pm »
If it weren't for the fact that I'm buying games under retail on the regular, meaning that I'm constantly spending money, I'd consider going just on the hopes of finding a deal, but from my experience, resellers at these cons always wants up and over retail.  But that's just my experience.  It doesn't matter if it's video games, figures, comics, or shirts and stuff... it's always more expensive at cons than on ebay.  When my wife and I would go to cons, we would just use it as a method of finding out about stuff for us to go buy online... at least in terms of dealers areas.

In MY area, when we have cons, a few of the local game stores will set up booths and they will take their store products, mark up the prices, and bring them to the con.  So already high prices get marked higher.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 12:18:41 pm »
Here's a secret to buying at cons: Ask for a better price. If a game is marked for $20, ask for $15 and settle at $18.

Stuff is marked up a little to allow wiggle room. I've gotten some really good deals at cons, including Little Samson. It was quite a bit under retail

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 10:03:26 am »
The game stores in my areaare run like Gamestop.  Very corporate.  No haggling.  You catch them slipping they will fix the price right in front of you and call you a liar.