Author Topic: questions about new Tomb Raider games & Lara Croft  (Read 1068 times)

lordscott

questions about new Tomb Raider games & Lara Croft
« on: September 23, 2016, 10:15:21 pm »
1. In the new Tomb Raider games is she as awesome & as a badass/kickass as she's in her older/other games?

2. Should i get the games for Xbox 360 or is it even worth the money & is it even worth trying the game out & will i like the new Tomb Raider games?

I've asked these 2 because i don't know do i considered myself a fan of the series or not all i will say is this that my favorite Tomb Raider games so far are Tomb Raider for PS1,Tomb Raider Angel Of Darkness for PS2 & Tomb Raider Legend for Xbox 360 and Lara Croft is 1 of my favorite characters in gaming,anime & manga & yes Lara Croft is 1 of my favorite movie characters in any of my favorite movies too as well.

When & if you answer this question please be honest with me and don't even bother say oh she gets rape sh*t that doesn't bother me just read my questions to understand what am i asking you thanks and thanks for sharing your opinions of new Tomb Raider games & new Lara Croft :).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:32:35 pm by lordscott »

Re: questions about new Tomb Raider games & Lara Croft
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 01:21:42 am »
I can't really compare the new ones to the old ones, I barely played them, but the new ones do revolve around being more of a semi-open world survival game, rather than specific levels you accomplish in a linear fashion.

I thought the first reboot game was pretty good, I enjoyed it quite abit and I heard the sequel is good, I've just been waiting on a big sale for the PC version because it's not high on my list to get right now.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 09:32:23 am »
New Lara > Old Lara 10/10 Would raid again.

indenton

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:10:45 am »
So the common basis for Lara's new design as of 2013 is that she's 'more human', this most certainly comes with it's own strengths and weaknesses. 

When someone say that a character is 'more human' or is 'human-like', it often means that the character now has the ability or the tendency to express emotions and feeling more realistically than before, there reactions to certain events can be better linked towards human psychology, how you may actually feel if you shot someone in the head mere inches from your own face.  They might only mean human like is terms of psychical appearance, Lara Croft's new design certainly resembles a human more so that her previous incarnations ever did, even the pre-rendered artwork. 

The issue is that the Tomb Raider games were about exploration and discovery, Lara was in it for the history and was more than prepared for the dangers ahead with a pair of pistols and platforming prowess.  I think a lot of players can get behind this mindset, the urge to discover and solve a mystery while fighting off the dangers of natural, a few human and even paranormal threats.  I'm not going to say this makes a better character, but it certainly makes a less intrusive one.

In Tomb Raider 2013, this side of Lara is still prevalent but it's barely a side-product of her attitude and the new, emotionally scarred Lara has taken center stage.  The fans were just expected to accept that as the natural new direction for Lara to take.  She couldn't be a silent protagonist or at least remain passive, you needed to hear exactly when Lara was traumatised by death in front of her face, when she was able to put on the tough-guy front, about 3/4 into the game.  It felt like almost all the cutscenes were only ever included to empthasize this new direction of Lara's character. 

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 01:29:51 pm »
As someone who played the hell out of the original PS1 series, I can say I LOVE the reboot. I haven't played the reboot sequel yet, but Tomb Raider 2013 (IMO) does an excellent job of making Lara a more "realistic" character, showing the events that change her from an innocent girl into an expert in archaeology, survival, and firearms. She's not quite the cocky badass from the original series, but that's fine with me as long as they don't turn her into the constantly angry, murdering b**** from the mid-2000s trilogy. It was really hard for me to sympathize with that Lara.