Author Topic: Japanese VS USA/European Megadrive/Genesis box art?  (Read 1426 times)

dreama1

Japanese VS USA/European Megadrive/Genesis box art?
« on: September 25, 2016, 08:02:50 pm »

Which do you prefer? Which would you collect?

aliensstudios

Re: Japanese VS USA/European Megadrive/Genesis box art?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:02:42 pm »
Both regions have their strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I like the SEGA Genesis name better but the blue color scheme of the SEGA Mega Drive better. Overall though, it's a mixed bag really.
… Am I the only one who thinks the NA box art for the Sonic the Hedgehog games is better? Everyone seems to think the Japanese art is better...
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

stealthrush

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 10:34:07 pm »

Japanese easily. One of my main reasons why I never cared for Sega Genesis growing up as a kid was the Western-stylized boxart (same could be said for TurboGrafx-16 games) Fortunately SNES didn't alter the all of their US released games too much from the original design (I admit some worse than others).

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 11:18:21 pm »

Japanese easily. One of my main reasons why I never cared for Sega Genesis growing up as a kid was the Western-stylized boxart (same could be said for TurboGrafx-16 games) Fortunately SNES didn't alter the all of their US released games too much from the original design (I admit some worse than others).
They stopped messing with the box art after Ranma 1/2 came out for SNES.

dreama1

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 11:24:32 pm »

They stopped messing with the box art after Ranma 1/2 came out for SNES, or at least moved in that direction. Sadly it seemed like it was the beginning of the end for that generation.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 03:17:50 am »
Euro box art for me.

The backs and sides look way better than the usa genesis boxes wich feel inferior to me.

As far as box art goes I'd also give europe the win since Japanese box art is either to messy or way to animated. Usa also has excellent box art but the sides and standard stuff as mentioned by me above are slightly worse,  wich gives the europe boxes the win.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:06:02 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telly

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 08:16:27 am »
I would definitely prefer the Japanese box art personally.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 08:47:50 am »
I have to go with the Japanese box art.