Author Topic: Games with a lot of modern Japanese culture in them...  (Read 4315 times)

Games with a lot of modern Japanese culture in them...
« on: September 30, 2016, 04:57:29 pm »
Basically I've been on a bigger Japan kick lately, watching someones videos from Japan of their daily life and stuff, and playing "Learn Japanese To Survive: Hiragana Battle" and it's got me wanting to play stuff that has more of the modern culture of Japan in the game.  Like I understand Yakuza has a lot of side stuff related to Japanese life with games and shows and other side questy type stuff, so I plan to make Yakuza 0 my first go at the series.  Tokyo Mirage Sessions has elements for that, dealing with more of the pop idol scene.

There any other games for PS4 or PC that are worth checking out for that kind of stuff? I'm open to kinda whatever, even if it's got sexy girl stuff in it, doesn't bother me as long as it's a fun game.

Re: Games with a lot of modern Japanese culture in them...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 05:02:13 pm »
Not a plug for my favorite game of all time or anything, but.....

The first Shenmue game takes place in 1980s Japan and is filled to the brim with a very authentic Japanese setting. Everything from Snack bars, arcades, capsule toys, Fox Shrines, and just about anything and everything you would find in Japan then and even to an extent now can be seen in this game. It is probably part of the reason I love it so much.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:06:44 pm »

The first Shenmue game takes place in 1980s Japan and is filled to the brim with a very authentic Japanese setting. Everything from Snack bars, arcades, capsule toys, Fox Shrines, and just about anything and everything you would find in Japan then and even to an extent now can be seen in this game. It is probably part of the reason I love it so much.

I've always heard about this game, never played it since I didn't have a Dreamcast.  Is that available on anything modern right now or do I basically gotta wait for them to port it before Shenmue 3 comes out? lol

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 05:18:22 pm »

I've always heard about this game, never played it since I didn't have a Dreamcast.  Is that available on anything modern right now or do I basically gotta wait for them to port it before Shenmue 3 comes out? lol

Sadly Dreamcast is the only way to play it, although the XBOX version of Shenmue 2 comes with a DVD called Shenmue the Move which compiles all the cut scenes to fill you in on the events of the first game. It does not do it justice however. I have heard rumors that sometime in the near future Sega is releasing a Shenmue HD compilation with the first two games on it. I heard they've been working on it ever since the success of the Kickstarter for 3, but nothing is confirmed yet.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 05:36:36 pm »

Sadly Dreamcast is the only way to play it, although the XBOX version of Shenmue 2 comes with a DVD called Shenmue the Move which compiles all the cut scenes to fill you in on the events of the first game. It does not do it justice however. I have heard rumors that sometime in the near future Sega is releasing a Shenmue HD compilation with the first two games on it. I heard they've been working on it ever since the success of the Kickstarter for 3, but nothing is confirmed yet.

That game will have to wait then it seems since I still don't have a dreamcast, but I'll check it out if they release an HD re-release of the first two.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 08:26:10 pm »
Also plugging away guiltily... :D

The Persona series is also a good game if you want to learn a bit about culture/architecture/etc. Of course, I'm going to add the disclaimer here that no matter what game you play, these are games, and what you see/hear is going to be 'filtered'; in the same way, playing the Sims or Bully can provide some cultural information about America, but it has to be taken with a grain of salt. There may be something telling about them, but they also aren't completely representative of the culture, itself. However, the fact that a game is/isn't popular can also speak for the culture, as well. Etc. etc.

That out of the way, back to Persona.  ;D I enjoy the series for a lot of reasons, but I do think it can be educational in terms of learning a bit about Japanese architecture, culture, humor, values, etc. You may have already played it, or heard of it. It usually takes 50 - 80 hours to complete a game, but I think it's pretty well worth it. Additionally, as with every Japanese game, you do have to keep in mind that it's been translated, so humor and other things aren't going to match exactly with the original source material.

I also like Danganronpa; in spite of it's flaws, it has some really great philosophy to it. It doesn't necessarily tell you much directly about Japanese culture, etc., but themes like hope, despair, etc. seem to be a really popular theme in many Japanese games nowadays, and I think the message it has for players is particularly powerful in some cases.

I.e. - You can learn about Japanese culture and such through games, but what is perhaps more useful is understanding how the culture presents itself in games, how it understands foreign cultures, and how these games speak in particular for gaming culture. I don't know if any games in particular that focus exclusively on culture, but i think as you play Japanese games you may notice certain things that reoccur in the gameplay design, settings, etc.

Sorry, I'm pretty damn scatterbrained right now, so this isn't the quality of post I'd like to write. >.<; If you haven't visited Japan, but would like to, definitely do so! I took a vacation not long ago, and it's very nice.

I think if you play any game, you'll see a lot of the same things, in terms of character designs (personality), plot themes, etc. Although it may not say a lot about Japanese culture directly, they do speak indirectly for themselves.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 12:33:01 am »
My dream trip is to Japan someday, would really love to.  I'm trying to learn what I can of the language to make it easier in case I'm able to.

I have thought about Persona before.  Is it possible to just jump into Persona with Persona 5 that just released?

*EDIT*
Shoot, I saw the Japanese release date and the North America release is not till February.  Once again foiled! lol
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 01:14:32 am by kamikazekeeg »

davifus

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 02:28:41 am »
My dream trip is to Japan someday, would really love to.  I'm trying to learn what I can of the language to make it easier in case I'm able to.

I have thought about Persona before.  Is it possible to just jump into Persona with Persona 5 that just released?

*EDIT*
Shoot, I saw the Japanese release date and the North America release is not till February.  Once again foiled! lol

I said say go with P4 first then P3.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 03:23:41 am »
I said say go with P4 first then P3.

Wasn't particularly wanting to pull out the PS2, but I might consider it if I can find a copy since it seems like both Persona 3 and 4 are pretty cheap.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 05:17:36 am »
GAL GUN Double Peace - PS4

A Rail road shooter apparently

Pretty huge on the fan service and allot of japanese school girls and japanese culture, Not my kinda game but it might just be for you
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 06:10:37 am »
Isn't Gal Gun entirely a rail shooter? I'm not against the game, I've seen it played, but what I'm looking for is more about something that delves into Japan in a more engaging way, something you'd get from an RPG or semi-open world action game, Yakuza, Shenmue, apparently Persona.  Sidequests, bonus stuff, or a story that involves itself in the culture more, not just that it's set in Japan with some Japanese aspects.

Also I don't really expect much from the fan service games anymore, unless they can show more effort into the actual game.  After having played Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth and Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus, I find that these games are just too shallow, which...I mean I really shouldn't be much more out of games that are built around bouncing jubblies and clothing removal I guess lol

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 07:15:12 am »
Isn't Gal Gun entirely a rail shooter? I'm not against the game, I've seen it played, but what I'm looking for is more about something that delves into Japan in a more engaging way, something you'd get from an RPG or semi-open world action game, Yakuza, Shenmue, apparently Persona.  Sidequests, bonus stuff, or a story that involves itself in the culture more, not just that it's set in Japan with some Japanese aspects.

Also I don't really expect much from the fan service games anymore, unless they can show more effort into the actual game.  After having played Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth and Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus, I find that these games are just too shallow, which...I mean I really shouldn't be much more out of games that are built around bouncing jubblies and clothing removal I guess lol

Gal gun is more like an arcade game so I see your point.  I think you should look at some japanese ps4 or pc exclusive games for the games  you seek.

Especially in the pc department I'm pretty sure that there are way more options available than on the console.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

azure

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 10:42:21 am »
Basically I've been on a bigger Japan kick lately, watching someones videos from Japan of their daily life and stuff, and playing "Learn Japanese To Survive: Hiragana Battle" and it's got me wanting to play stuff that has more of the modern culture of Japan in the game.  Like I understand Yakuza has a lot of side stuff related to Japanese life with games and shows and other side questy type stuff, so I plan to make Yakuza 0 my first go at the series.  Tokyo Mirage Sessions has elements for that, dealing with more of the pop idol scene.

There any other games for PS4 or PC that are worth checking out for that kind of stuff? I'm open to kinda whatever, even if it's got sexy girl stuff in it, doesn't bother me as long as it's a fun game.

I really suggest you start with the first Yakuza and work your way up. 0 my be a prequel, but you won't see just how well the world and controls improve as the series goes on. Not to mention 0 is full of nods to the original Yakuza. It really is quite the treat seeing how Kamurocho changes throughout the games.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 01:58:36 pm »

I really suggest you start with the first Yakuza and work your way up. 0 my be a prequel, but you won't see just how well the world and controls improve as the series goes on. Not to mention 0 is full of nods to the original Yakuza. It really is quite the treat seeing how Kamurocho changes throughout the games.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it.  Yakuza 1 seems to be fairly affordable at around 20 bucks, but Yakuza 2 is way more expensive.  Might have to look for a PS2 emulator for that.

thewelshman

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 05:29:48 pm »
You might want to look into Akiba's Trip, and eventually Akiba's Beat once its release. Akiba's Trip takes place exclusively in the Akihabara (Akibagahara) district. If I remember correctly, they painstakingly worked to make the game look as close to the actual area as possible. They even left the Japanese advertising for real-life Japanese locations.